Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 24, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #526 of 4,108
I guess that is my issue. The Mojo is great. I may have to go back to a DX200 which I think is better than the Mojo. With the a18t, it is very revealing of the source components and I’ve noticed it worthwhile to have good upstream gear with it specifically.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #527 of 4,108
Got the n5ii today and am less than thrilled with it sound wise. Going to be sending it back. Build quality is excellent but it sounds dull and lifeless to me.
Yeah, I know how it feels. Mojo sets the bar very high in terms of sound. Mojo is a tamer and it won't let the sound hurts you, be it boomy bass or piercing highs. I find the n5ii’s tonality to be a little bit agressive out of the box but I’ll let it burn in and see if the magic happens. This is also the first time I try a balanced output. (With mezze 99 classics) So far, energetic but underwhelming.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #528 of 4,108
I guess that is my issue. The Mojo is great. I may have to go back to a DX200 which I think is better than the Mojo. With the a18t, it is very revealing of the source components and I’ve noticed it worthwhile to have good upstream gear with it specifically.

I agree. tia Fourté is also VERY revealing of cables and sources. The DX200 and Opus#2, both of which I have, are unquestionably better than the Cayin N5II. But sweet screw do you have to pay for it. To my ears and experience with a plethora of DAPs, the N5II stands very strong. But very strong in the mid-tier.

Still, I disagree about it being, as you called it, "dull". But then, I haven't listened to the production unit yet. And I only listened to the Beta Unit at any length after I burned it in for a full week. Now my production unit is going through that process, and so I can't really say if it sounds dull right out of the box.

I have experienced burn-in to increase dynamics especially. Don't ask me how or why it works, but after so many hours of burn-in, some players simply become more energetic-sounding.

@pfurey89, can I ask, why you bought to N5II if you already had a DAP which sounded better to you than Mojo? Just looking for a smaller footprint? I could understand that, as I do love the form factor of the N5II. :)

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #529 of 4,108
Maybe dull was a strong word, but I am looking to not stack, and not looking to break the bank too much.

I tried the Fiio X7ii and it was a bit too thin for me.

Mojo is still my favorite but it’s so unusable on the go.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #530 of 4,108
It sounds to me like you're looking for more bass and a thicker sound.

Hardware burn-in won't fix that. But brain burn-in can.

If you allow yourself a few days with the N5II, listening to only that device, I have a feeling you'll adjust to its tuning, and begin to hear its virtues.

The N5II is not supposed to sound like the i5. It's going for a cleaner, more reference presentation. If you can accept that, there's so much to love about it.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #531 of 4,108
Maybe dull was a strong word, but I am looking to not stack, and not looking to break the bank too much.

I tried the Fiio X7ii and it was a bit too thin for me.

Mojo is still my favorite but it’s so unusable on the go.

If you are looking for a warmer sound with more body and already have dx200, maybe upgrade to amp5.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #533 of 4,108
Check the folder content after you copy the file to the Internal memory of N5ii, can you see multiple file extries? same file size?

We run into similar situation previously when someone export their music library from iTune, iTune will create a temp file with the same name when you copy and paste the files to another device, but these temp files are significantly smaller in terms of file size. I believe we have handled this already, not sure if you are running into similar situation again.

Hey Andy, when I check the directory there is only 1 file per song. I just tried wiping all of the songs I added and re-adding and the same thing occurs. I copy from my windows 7 PC using supplied cable to the "Music" folder in the Cayin N5ii directory. Afterwards it shows that the correct amount of space has been taken up (roughly 7 gigs). However when I go to artists or tracks, every single song appears twice in the list. If I delete one of the two using the player interface on the device, both songs get removed. This is kind of driving me crazy. Any help/suggestions would be very very appreciated. I am not using iTunes BTW, I am just simply copy/pasting music files straight onto the device internal memory "music" folder.

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #534 of 4,108
I'm hoping to pick up an N5II in January. I've enjoyed my N3 so much I bought two of them...lol, but I want the two cars slot so I rely less on OTG storage. I've never had anything balanced so I'll have to look into as well. If I win my fantasy football league, I'll have some extra cash for some balanced IEMs to go with it.

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #535 of 4,108
Hi All!

Just got my n5ii yesterday and when I played it, theres no easy way by james ingram his vocals are mostly on the left side of my UERR so I put R6 on the channel balance to make it centred.. Is this normal?

Also there is a hiss on my UERR 3.5mm socket if I buy a 2.5mm cable will the his be gone? Im also looking for a cable upgradefl for my UERR nore on to hybrid Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #536 of 4,108
We wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Special appreciation to every participant and subscriber of this thread for your patient and positive attitude to Cayin and our product.

As a new relatively new comers to the HeadFi community, Cayin owns you all a big thank.

We are looking forward to continue the sound journey with you in 2018.

Keep in touch!

upload_2017-12-25_10-43-42.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 24, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #537 of 4,108
Hi All!

Just got my n5ii yesterday and when I played it, theres no easy way by james ingram his vocals are mostly on the left side of my UERR so I put R6 on the channel balance to make it centred.. Is this normal?

Also there is a hiss on my UERR 3.5mm socket if I buy a 2.5mm cable will the his be gone? Im also looking for a cable upgradefl for my UERR nore on to hybrid Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I just tried both CIEM and ToGo universal IEM versions of UERR with N5ii, and they sound perfect from 3.5mm HO. The only way I can get into that channel imbalance if the 3.5mm connector is not plugged in all the way. Please, double check, the socket has a tight fit. There is no hissing and the sound is actually very impressive. My 2.5mm UE cable is on UE18+ Pro now, don't want to switch it to UERR, but the sound quality should scale up going from single ended to balanced. I assume you have UERR with their 0.75mm pins (not mmcx version). As you aware, it's not a standard universal 0.78mm 2pin connector, so going through upgrade cable is a bit of a PITA. If you really need balanced, I would get UE replacement stock balanced cable, it's a higher purity copper, excellent build quality, and very cost efficient.

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #538 of 4,108
Hi thanks for your quick response.

I got the uerr universals and yes I do have the stock cable.. Thinking of getting the pw audio sevenfold copper silver cable..

Ill check it again again once Im done transfering my music files.. If i cant fix this.. Ill just stick to the channel set up I did or maybe upgrading it to a different cable.

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #539 of 4,108
Hey Andy, when I check the directory there is only 1 file per song. I just tried wiping all of the songs I added and re-adding and the same thing occurs. I copy from my windows 7 PC using supplied cable to the "Music" folder in the Cayin N5ii directory. Afterwards it shows that the correct amount of space has been taken up (roughly 7 gigs). However when I go to artists or tracks, every single song appears twice in the list. If I delete one of the two using the player interface on the device, both songs get removed. This is kind of driving me crazy. Any help/suggestions would be very very appreciated. I am not using iTunes BTW, I am just simply copy/pasting music files straight onto the device internal memory "music" folder.

Hi, you could go to Music scan->Scan all to scan the music again. If still no dice, please follow steps below:
1.Go to pull up menu->settings->Factory data reset to reset your device then power off it.
2.Hold on the previous key of right side panel and then press Power On/Off button until the player go into recovery operation screen.
3. Select "wipe data/factory reset->Yes, delete all user data" then press power button to confirm.
upload_2017-12-25_12-23-29.png

upload_2017-12-25_12-23-51.png

4. Select wipe cache partition and press power button to confirm.
upload_2017-12-25_12-25-33.png

5.N5i will automatically go back into recovery operation screen, select “reboot system now” and press power button to reboot into regular operation.

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #540 of 4,108
Cayin has just released the domestic version of v2.0CN firmware update on our website, I want to remind everyone that there will be an International version firmware coming out very soon, so DO NOT UPGRADE your N5ii to v2.0CN firmware, you'll lost Google Play function if you do that, and subsequent OTA firmware upgrade will assume you are an user in China and upgrade your N5ii with new domestic version firmware again.

To save the trouble to Google Guess (aka. Google Translate) the Chinese firmware notice to English, I can provide the details as follows:
  1. Add new feature to stop the native music player and all Third Party Applications by holding the Play/Pause button on the right side panel. The player will go back to Main Menu after terminated all applications.
  2. Add new feature to enable selection of DoP or D2P in DSD output. The selection is effective for both S/PDIF and DSD Audio output.
  3. Optimize power management to extend the duration of battery operation: single-ended phone out 12 hours, balanced phone out 9.5 hours (Audio Priority mode, screen off, minimal operation and single music format)
  4. Enhance system operation by removing unnecessary task and applications from customized Android system.
  5. Enhance displayed music file sampling information on playback screen
  6. Enhance and modify selected User Interface
  7. Modify output setting of balanced phone out, enable user to select Audio Priority Mode manually.
  8. Modify the identification of Bit rate and Sampling frequency of music files (effective after music scan)
  9. Modify default maximum volume setting to 100
  10. Bug fix: random pause/suspend during playback (most likely happened in 2.5mm headphone output)
  11. Bug fix: volume turned up to maximum under specific operation sequence
  12. Bug fix: wrong sequencing of playlist
  13. Bug fix: random pause/suspend when insert single-ended headphone to the player
  14. Bug fix: missing file when enable “Filter non-music files and folder” in Music Scan setting.
  15. Remove icon on right side of Artist page
  16. Other Optimizations
Base on our track record with i5 firmware, we can deliver the International version firmware in 3-7 days, and I am pushing the limit making sure the new International version firmware will be available ASAP. "Fortunately" we don't have Christmas holiday in China, so we basically work round the clock during this weekend in order to get everything ready on Christmas Day.

For the record,Cayin has put in serious effort to conduct internal tests and beta tests of our product before the official launch. We have identified bugs and collected numerous suggestions from our Beta testers, and we are devoted to improve our products the best we could. All these bugs and requirements will be evaluated and tackled in a specific order that reflect the importance and efficient on software development. If you have checked the firmware version of your N5ii, you probably will notice that you are using v1.1EN instead of v1.0EN already, that is because we have incorporated some of the bug fix and enhancement from our Beta test already. The v2.0CN/v2.1EN firmware will cover most of the bugs/enhancement identified during Beta test, with the exception of issues related to USB Audio. That is one big topic that we'll be working on as soon as we wrapped up the firmware update this week.

Cayin has tried our best to offer quality customer service, be as honest and transparent as possible, and at the same time, maintain our corporate competence on product concept and audio signature. We are sorry if we didn't meeting your expectation. We are learning and have improved significantly in past 3 years, I am quite sure if we maintain a productive communication, we'll have a win-win result down the road. However, if someone still find these unacceptable and is unwilling to solve the problem together, we just wish him/her all the best in finding another brand/product that works better for him/her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back