Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Mar 31, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,951 of 4,108
Fist - list of bugs you supposedly have please
Second - stop bashing this player. It has best value for money in this higher end of mid-level DAPs currently on market. And this stream of orchestrated negative responses without much details and facts conifims that competiton is tough. And Cayin winning
Third - my player works flawlessly. Looks like it is very special player.
Look, as long as there are bugs, people will say there are bugs. As long as they are not blowing it out of proportion, it's reasonable.

I agree that the N5ii is the best sounding player in its price range. The fact that I will happily put up with its bugs is proof of that. (pretty minor in my case, the rare blurry album art bug still annoys the F out of me if and when it pops up)

I'm happy that your player works perfectly but others may have bugs. I do experience the bugs that people state but to a lesser extent.

Id like to see this be a perfect player and that's why I started the technical support thread. I'm no coder so I can't make any custom firmwares but I'd seriously do it if I could.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,952 of 4,108
this stream of orchestrated negative responses without much details and facts
I'm not sure what orchestration is meant here, but this device being the buggiest unit I have ever had is a fact :grimacing: I can't use it as a DAC because of its randomly occurring distortions, I can't use it as a DAP because of random interruptions, it's painfully slow sometimes and it freezes pretty often. It fails in every aspect. Now on with bug stories: I was outside and listening to NP5II, and one if its random sound interruptions occurred, when playback resumed I noticed volume turned up a bit, then goes another interruption and resuming with a louder volume. I took it out of my pocket to check, turned the screen on and what I saw was the volume rising up itself! What?! When I got home, I hooked it up to my computer, and guess what? No sound now! WHAT?!

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,953 of 4,108
Cayin,

I know you now have a separate technical support thread. But I have a more generic question. When is the next firmware update expected?

I kept this unit on the promise that Cayin (with HiBy) would eventually address the software bugs in this unit. I am more than a little disappointed in how slow this process is turning out to be. I am traveling and took my supposedly lower end unit with me, the Shanling M2S. Yes, that unit does not quite have the same sound quality. But I'll be darned if that unit didn't just do what it is supposed to do with no fussing around. That is how the Cayin N5II should be. I should be able to turn it on, play music, and not experience random pauses and long delays before seeing key menus. And periodically rebooting when the system "crashes". Also, randomly, sometimes the unit starts at maximum volume instead of preset volume levels which are much, much lower.

Please give us some kind of timing expectation on the next firmware release and what bugs should be addressed and what will not be addressed. And for those bugs that will not be addressed please give a timeframe for a software release that will address those. I really want to be a fan of this unit and Cayin, but it is getting harder to do to that given how things are progressing. Frankly, I have the sense that this unit can be a continuing problem because of poor support by HiBy who seems to be focused on becoming a vendor in their own right.

Please try and calm me down a bit. To be straight up; I know I am hurting the resale value of my unit by publicly stating this; but at this point in time I simply can't suggest that any new buyers purchase this unit. Not because of its design which is capable, it seems, of great things, but because its firmware is dragging it down in a substantial way.
I'd flip the N5ii and get a DX200 if I really couldn't stand the bugs (sounds serious in your case). Only having a single card slot will be quite annoying though.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,954 of 4,108
I'm not sure what orchestration is meant here, but this device being the buggiest unit I have ever had is a fact :grimacing: I can't use it as a DAC because of its randomly occurring distortions, I can't use it as a DAP because of random interruptions, it's painfully slow sometimes and it freezes pretty often. It fails in every aspect. Now on with bug stories: I was outside and listening to NP5II, and one if its random sound interruptions occurred, when playback resumed I noticed volume turned up a bit, then goes another interruption and resuming with a louder volume. I took it out of my pocket to check, turned the screen on and what I saw was the volume rising up itself! What?! When I got home, I hooked it up to my computer, and guess what? No sound now! WHAT?!
Firmware 3.1?

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #1,956 of 4,108
Regarding the sound, it really is awesome, and noticeably better than Fiio X5-III. My only complaint is that it's a bit too bright with Andromeda.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #1,957 of 4,108
You mean this?

Yes, accusations like that without proof are just flat out slander. To top it off, it's a relatively new account with a low post count.

Wait a second, it's been one day since I was asked to post photos and you are already accusing me of not having proof? do you realize we are real people with real lives? Sorry for not posting photos within 24 hours, I guess I got caught and I'm a big liar mr. headphone police officer.

Anyways here are the photos, not much to show since the damage is mostly internal, but I'm debating weather or not I should open the unit to take detailed photos of what has happened inside, witch I'm pretty sure has been the exact issue others have described; the headphone jacks (3.3 and bal 2.5mm ) are not well design and I suspect they are not secure within the aluminum frame of the unit and will pull the copper threads on the circuit board, just like others have reported.

Only thing I apologize for is the double post about this issue, I meant to post that second one in the technical support thread.

Last thing. Never settle for cheap plastic headphone jacks in this premium priced devices. It is the right of all of us to demand the best and toughest headphone jacks at these very high prices, after all and like I said, this is the most important connector of the device and the one that will receive the most abuse.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dylu6EYJQa5rr5Kj1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/j2vufmF2pnCtPA0m2

xBvLhvzU7ev0yOcC3
vCwTdHaXCMlFens23

Attachments

• _DSC0248.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC0253.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #1,958 of 4,108
I suppose I am more tolerant to bugs and whatnot after experiencing a very very bad bug on 3 of my past players (FiiO X1, Xduoo X3, X10) - data corruption

Now that was a grand motherf***er. It would happen all of a sudden without any warning. No possible repair except for a reformat (the X10 killed a 128gb Samsung evo+ but luckily there was warranty). Then I had to spend hours recopying my songs from my backup.

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,959 of 4,108
Look, as long as there are bugs, people will say there are bugs. As long as they are not blowing it out of proportion, it's reasonable.

I agree that the N5ii is the best sounding player in its price range. The fact that I will happily put up with its bugs is proof of that. (pretty minor in my case, the rare blurry album art bug still annoys the F out of me if and when it pops up)

I'm happy that your player works perfectly but others may have bugs. I do experience the bugs that people state but to a lesser extent.

Id like to see this be a perfect player and that's why I started the technical support thread. I'm no coder so I can't make any custom firmwares but I'd seriously do it if I could.

Yeah I feel the same thing, after all the negative things I have said about this unit and its headphone jacks, I also feel that the UI and bugs are not really a mayor problem for this unit, compare to many other daps with seriously slow and buggy software that I have experience first hand.

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,960 of 4,108
Never settle for cheap plastic headphone jacks in this premium priced devices.
Whats wrong with (plastic) jacks?
BTW premium today are DAPs with $1000 and higher pricetag

all the negative things I have said about this unit and its headphone jacks,
Come again - whats wrong with headphones jacks? Already in multiple - before earlier claims which was restricted by one?

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,961 of 4,108
I do think that many people in this thread are acting like this is a $3000 flagship from a heavy hitter like Sony or A&K. This is a sub-$400 mid-range offering from a small company that punches well above its weight in performance and is a tremendous value at its price point. There are some bugs and early adopters may have some growing pains - the same thing happened with the DX200 early on - but I’m confident Cayin will get them worked out.

Mar 31, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #1,962 of 4,108
I do think that many people in this thread are acting like this is a $3000 flagship from a heavy hitter like Sony or A&K. This is a sub-$400 mid-range offering from a small company that punches well above its weight in performance and is a tremendous value at its price point. There are some bugs and early adopters may have some growing pains - the same thing happened with the DX200 early on - but I’m confident Cayin will get them worked out.
+1000

Mar 31, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #1,963 of 4,108

Agreed, this is a lovely little DAP for its price, there's nothing else much to say, this can do a lot, had a little bit of issues at first, but Cayin has been offering a lot of support and does help with things :)

Mar 31, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #1,964 of 4,108
It's a good player but £300 is a lot of money for a dap which has a clear bluetooth issue with the sound persistently cutting out when used with Bluetooth headphone or when put in a pocket. Once this has been solved it will be great value for the price. @CayinSupport please note the Bluetooth issue as tested by seanwee on the technical support thread.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,965 of 4,108
a lot of money for a dap which has a clear bluetooth issue and make cutting out outdoors or when put in a pocket. Once this has been solved it will be great value for the price. @CayinSupport please note the Bluetooth issue as tested by seanwee on the technical support thread.
BT issues is nit showstopper at all. Subj is hi-res player. And its sounded well well beyond its price. So why such attention to BT? Any BT sound (including aptx) restricted to mp3 quality. No such gadget actually needed if you want to listen mp3 . Any smartphone is quite enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back