Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Oct 3, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #751 of 2,546
Nice pic as always :)

That giant dust cover is one very questionable design feature. I like the idea of dust covers (emphasis on the plural), but one giant dust cover requires exposure of everything for extended periods during charging, no? Separate dust covers like on the X5 Classic is the way to go IMHO.

Thanks Nikolaus. Yes, the dust cover is a bit of a pain at charging time.

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #752 of 2,546

I have both.  Once I get to PAW 5k review, maybe in a few weeks, I will definitely include it in my comparison.  Btw, N5 sound quality is better 
wink.gif

Wow, we are flattered.

I was kind of worry about the scroll wheel as I didn't get to tryout the latest batch before they were send out, this is a relief.
biggrin.gif

Twisters post and the fact that the scroll wheel is stiff makes me pretty sure Ill get the N5. My normal listening volume is usually pretty low so its nice to know that it wont be easily changed if I hit the wheel by accident. Now to wait for Twisters review 
rolleyes.gif
 Also, I'd go for the tour but Im not much into writing reviews 
tongue.gif

You are not going to change volume by hitting the wheel.  Only when you start adjusting volume with dedicated side buttons and get volume screen for a brief moment - you can use a wheel to adjust it as well.  So volume+wheel shouldn't be a concern :wink:

Regarding wheel stiffness, I'm waiting to receive a final production unit of N5 to compare to pre-production one.  Personally, I do like some resistance in turning the wheel.  I got Lotoo PAW 5k for review, and it has an identical size wheel with control button in the middle, but obviously made out of plastic (but I suspect a same mechanical part). 5k wheel is a bit too easy to turn, so it's not ideal either.  I would prefer something in between of PAW 5k and my current N5 pre-production model.

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #753 of 2,546

Nice pic as always
smily_headphones1.gif

That giant dust cover is one very questionable design feature. I like the idea of dust covers (emphasis on the plural), but one giant dust cover requires exposure of everything for extended periods during charging, no? Separate dust covers like on the X5 Classic is the way to go IMHO.

Thanks Nikolaus. Yes, the dust cover is a bit of a pain at charging time.

Little snip to cut the tip part which covers usb connector should fix it!
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #754 of 2,546
Little snip to cut the tip part which covers usb connector should fix it! :D

If it weren't a tour unit, the scissors would be out :wink:

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #755 of 2,546
How is everyone finding their N5.  Ive gotton used to it now and its simply the best player i have had, not that i have had many but its ended my need to by an A&K for that high end player want that i had.  For me this is better as i dont want a touch screen and im not a fan of android so overall im really happy.  

Ive been swapping between the supertech cable that was mentioned a few pages ago and i think to my ears it adds a bit of boomyness to the bass and makes the highs sound a little harsh compared with the stock long cable, maybe it needs to be used properly balanced.

My 2.5mm to 3.5mm balanced adapter finally arrived from China and... its only a 2.5mm plug its not wired just a 2.5mm connector and housing.  Gutted.  

Have just bought this though.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0108HJVG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00  hopefully this will do the job along with the supertech cable.

Only thing that is now a right pain is the needing to swap to line out every time player is turned on.  @Andykong
 if Cayin are taking requests for the next firmware can something please be added so that it remembers the selection of either line out or phone out?  But keep the option that it reverts to phone if the cable is unplugged for safety if that is a concern

I just checked the Trrs Mini Balanced 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Balanced Trrs adapter you have quoted, I want to reminded you that while the 2.5mm TRRS is likely wired correctly for N5, you better check and make sure the 3.5mm TRRS female adapter is wired correctly for your 3.5mm balanced headphone. There isn't a "standard" pin definition for 3.5mm TRRS to be used as balanced headphone connector, so you must check the pin definition of your 3.5mm balanced headphone against the wiring of the 3.5mm TRRS female plug.

Regarding the line out auto-reset feature, I have explained this in earlier post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771208/cayin-n5-dap-product-info-discussion-and-tour-link/300#post_11843814

I'll relay your feedback to our Engineer group and see what we can come out with. From what I understanding, unless they find a way to "remember" the line out setting without affect the safety precaution, we'll remain as-is because there are numerous reminders on the potential risk of plugging a sensitive IEM into the 3.5mm output when the DAP is set to line out, so making sure the operation is bullet proof when the N5 is going to swapping between headphone out and line out frequently is a priority consideration in UI and control design,

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #756 of 2,546

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #757 of 2,546

Wheel is not related to volume control.
Volume is managed by side buttons and it is really not easy to change the tunes by accident.

Oh. Side buttons are even better 
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #758 of 2,546
The ETHER C has good efficiency ratings so I don't expect them to be too difficult to drive.

I'm game for switching up the tour sequence if everyone else is ok with that. Hopefully I'll have them in by then but you never know with a new product release.

Edit: Thinking about it switching places may be too much hassle going back and forth across the border. I dunno, what do you guys think?

x RELIC x: I'll have to pay a little more for shipping, but it won't be too bad. I imagine you'll be the one who'll see issues with post office, customs, etc.

Well yeah, Canada Customs likes to hold on to gear.

Since I know nothing about Canada tax and customs, so I leave this to you guys, as long as RELIC and nmatheis can agree with each other, I am fine with whatever you guys come up with.

Just a recap on the shipping arrangement:
Cayin will pay for shipping to the first reviewer and from the last reviewer back to Cayin for each group.

Hope that clarify the shipping cost involved while you are discussing the review sequence.

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #759 of 2,546
Enjoying the N5 with my coffee this afternoon. It sounds great on the IM03

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #761 of 2,546
USB DAC functions perfectly on my Windows 7 desktop. The drivers were easy to find on the Cayin website. They downloaded and installed with ease. foobar2000 recognized the N5, and away we go. :)

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #762 of 2,546
I just checked the Trrs Mini Balanced 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Balanced Trrs adapter you have quoted, I want to reminded you that while the 2.5mm TRRS is likely wired correctly for N5, you better check and make sure the 3.5mm TRRS female adapter is wired correctly for your 3.5mm balanced headphone. There isn't a "standard" pin definition for 3.5mm TRRS to be used as balanced headphone connector, so you must check the pin definition of your 3.5mm balanced headphone against the wiring of the 3.5mm TRRS female plug.

Regarding the line out auto-reset feature, I have explained this in earlier post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771208/cayin-n5-dap-product-info-discussion-and-tour-link/300#post_11843814

I'll relay your feedback to our Engineer group and see what we can come out with. From what I understanding, unless they find a way to "remember" the line out setting without affect the safety precaution, we'll remain as-is because there are numerous reminders on the potential risk of plugging a sensitive IEM into the 3.5mm output when the DAP is set to line out, so making sure the operation is bullet proof when the N5 is going to swapping between headphone out and line out frequently is a priority consideration in UI and control design,

Thanks Andy.  Hopefully there is a way around it, on a normal day im turning on the N5 three or four times a day always using the C5 amp as its permanently connected, just sounds better to me this way.  Maybe the use of another menu option under output selection when line out is selected it becomes available "change back to phone on power on?" with a yes / no selector.

With regards to the cable ill give it it a go, if it works great if not ive not spent a lot but i really want to try the balanced with my PM3s.  ill report back but its not going to be quick, estimated delivery is 26/10 !!!  

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #763 of 2,546
The N5 drives my Sennheiser HD600 as well as the X5 Classic. Neither do it as well as my Maverick Audio D1 Plus, but they can at least make it sound good. They sound about the same, as well, since they both fail to bring out the HD600's bass to its full potential.

So far, the only headphones that really favor the N5 over the X5 are the Klipsch X7i. This shocks me, since they are probably the most neutral of my equipment and I expected to prefer pairing them with the warmer X5. For some reason the Klipsch melds nicely with the brighter, more detailed signature of the Cayin.

Angie and the IM03 sound smoother and warmer on the X5 Classic, with deeper, more pronounced bass. The N5 is brighter, a bit more detailed, and ever so slightly metallic sounding, which you can really hear in the vocals.

Soundstage and depth are so close I can't determine which is better. To my ears the X5's layering is greater and easier to get lost in, but this is likely personal preference/bias.

If you like brighter-sounding gear, the N5 will probably appeal to you most. Its UI is a clear winner, as is the build quality.

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #764 of 2,546
PinkyPowers:

Nice observations. I've A/B'ed several more neutral/reference DAPs against my X5 Classic and have always found the X5 a strong competitor. I, like you, assume a lot of this down to personal preference - musicality vs. detail extraction.

As far as build quality, I imagine X5ii would be a better Fiio DAP to compare vs. N5, but don't own one.

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #765 of 2,546
As far as build quality, I imagine X5ii would be a better Fiio DAP to compare vs. N5, but don't own one.

I agree. Unfortunately, like you, I also don't have the X5ii to compare against.

The X5 Classic is a very well-build DAP. It's simply not as precise, or beautiful as the N5. And the Scroll Wheel on the X5 is the worst thing that's entered this world since sour milk. :)

Did I mention the N5 is a real looker? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back