Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Oct 2, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #736 of 2,546
Sounds wonderful. Player is certainly a mid-tier player

That's my impression too. It does very well in its price range. Cayin marketed the N5 perfect for its strengths. In terms of build quality, I think it's a class leader.

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #737 of 2,546
Too many daps at this price range to decide on now
confused_face_2.gif
. But I finally decided to narrow it to Cayin N5 or Paw 5000. Not too many reviews comparing the two though.

Oct 2, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #738 of 2,546
  Too many daps at this price range to decide on now
confused_face_2.gif
. But I finally decided to narrow it to Cayin N5 or Paw 5000. Not too many reviews comparing the two though.

I have both.  Once I get to PAW 5k review, maybe in a few weeks, I will definitely include it in my comparison.  Btw, N5 sound quality is better 
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #739 of 2,546
The thread is getting hot, and excited, this is best present to Cayin on our National Day. :beerchug:

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed by the response of the Tour, but looks like enthusiastic participants will certainly make up for the numbers, and after-all, its quality of opinion that matters, so lets rock the headfi community with solid, honest, and informative reviews, and give N5 a fair chance to those who are looking for a DAP in near future.

By the way, the National Day in China is big, we have one-week holiday and everyone will go home even when they are hundreds miles away. The production will be off completely during this period. if anyone try to contact Cayin during these few days, there might be some delay in responding to email, please pardon us and we'll get back to you ASAP.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 2, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #740 of 2,546
The scroll wheel is very stiff. It's sturdy enough, though, and grippy enough, you can put some pressure on it, and get the thing moving. Also, I think it will loosen with use. I actually like it a bit better than the wheel on the X5 Classic. Certainly more accurate. I definitely like it more than the X3ii.

The overall build quality is outstanding. The aesthetics are wonderful, and right up my alley. One of the nicest-looking players I've seen.

Wow, we are flattered.

I was kind of worry about the scroll wheel as I didn't get to tryout the latest batch before they were send out, this is a relief. :D

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #741 of 2,546
I vote that hakushondaimao holds on to the unit until my new pair of headphones comes in. :)

Should be the end of October :eek:

Wow, my favorite, I am thinking of upgrading my Alpha Dog to Ether C as well, but I doubt the N5 will have enough juice to do justice for the planar headphones,

If you guys don't mind, maybe we can swap the sequence, so nmatheis can be the second in the group and you can hold on the N5 till late October in that case.

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #742 of 2,546
Wow, my favorite, I am thinking of upgrading my Alpha Dog to Ether C as well, but I doubt the N5 will have enough juice to do justice for the planar headphones,

If you guys don't mind, maybe we can swap the sequence, so nmatheis can be the second in the group and you can hold on the N5 till late October in that case.

If x RELIC x really wants to try his Ethers with the N5, I'm fine with switching up the order.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #743 of 2,546
Wow, we are flattered.

I was kind of worry about the scroll wheel as I didn't get to tryout the latest batch before they were send out, this is a relief. :D

I'm already used to the wheel, with what little time I've had on the N5. It's stiff, but highly functional as is. I don't think this will be a problem for many folk.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #744 of 2,546

If x RELIC x really wants to try his Ethers with the N5, I'm fine with switching up the order.

The ETHER C has good efficiency ratings so I don't expect them to be too difficult to drive.

I'm game for switching up the tour sequence if everyone else is ok with that. Hopefully I'll have them in by then but you never know with a new product release.

Edit: Thinking about it switching places may be too much hassle going back and forth across the border. I dunno, what do you guys think?

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #745 of 2,546

I have both.  Once I get to PAW 5k review, maybe in a few weeks, I will definitely include it in my comparison.  Btw, N5 sound quality is better 
wink.gif

Wow, we are flattered.

I was kind of worry about the scroll wheel as I didn't get to tryout the latest batch before they were send out, this is a relief.
biggrin.gif

Twisters post and the fact that the scroll wheel is stiff makes me pretty sure Ill get the N5. My normal listening volume is usually pretty low so its nice to know that it wont be easily changed if I hit the wheel by accident. Now to wait for Twisters review 
rolleyes.gif
 Also, I'd go for the tour but Im not much into writing reviews 
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #747 of 2,546
x RELIC x: I'll have to pay a little more for shipping, but it won't be too bad. I imagine you'll be the one who'll see issues with post office, customs, etc.

Well yeah, Canada Customs likes to hold on to gear.

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #748 of 2,546
Nice ass on this thing...

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #749 of 2,546
Nice pic as always :)

That giant dust cover is one very questionable design feature. I like the idea of dust covers (emphasis on the plural), but one giant dust cover requires exposure of everything for extended periods during charging, no? Separate dust covers like on the X5 Classic is the way to go IMHO.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #750 of 2,546

Twisters post and the fact that the scroll wheel is stiff makes me pretty sure Ill get the N5. My normal listening volume is usually pretty low so its nice to know that it wont be easily changed if I hit the wheel by accident.

Wheel is not related to volume control.
Volume is managed by side buttons and it is really not easy to change the tunes by accident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back