Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Sep 23, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #2,206 of 2,546
All good to hear.

Many companies make claims of no mistakes, now that's a laugh. Nice to hear your more realistic approach and commitment to support your awesome products. Incidentally, I called your Canadian pro audio distributor and he was so surprised I had found Cayin gear in Canada...."How did you find out about Cayin???" he asked, and then continued, "Cayin products are built so well, you wil not regret owning anything they make." I thought you'd like to hear that. While I'm on the subect, who distributes the portable models in Canada?

And......do you have the manual available online? I was hoping to review the N5 UI before it arrives.

Well, if we assume our customer are smart and intelligent, how long can we hide our mistakes? :D

I assume you were talking to Jeff, our authorized agent in Canada for traditional HiFi and iDAC-6/iHA-6.
https://www.nationimports.com/blogs/news/179336839-new-cayin-dac-idac6-headphone-amplifier-iha6

His response is interesting, but sad, we are an still, as of today, an unpopular choice in Canada.

Cayin have devoted to headfi market since 2013, full power in R&D and come out with a wide range of HeadfFi products: DAP, portable amp and desktops. Our products has been well-received by customers and reviewers, but we couldn't find our way to the marketplace.

Right now we don't have an authorized dealer in Canadian for our portable products, we have been lobbying and we shall continue our ice-breaking work. We hope good news is round the corner, but for the meantime, we have to advice our customer to consider "nearby" available options and exercise your caution in due cause.

For those who really need help, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do. As usual, I'll try to be helpful, but not pushing.

We don't have an English N5 manual available on-line, will put this in my to-do list, I'll most likely take this up after CanJam RMAF.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 23, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #2,207 of 2,546
Well, if we assume our customer are smart and intelligent, how long can we hide our mistakes?
biggrin.gif

I assume you were talking to Jeff, our authorized agent in Canada for traditional HiFi and iDAC-6/iHA-6.
https://www.nationimports.com/blogs/news/179336839-new-cayin-dac-idac6-headphone-amplifier-iha6

His response is interesting, but sad, we are an still, as of today, an unpopular choice in Canada.

Cayin have devoted to headfi market since 2013, full power in R&D and come out with a wide range of HeadfFi products: DAP, portable amp and desktops. Our products has been well-received by customers and reviewers, but we couldn't find our way to the marketplace.

Right now we don't have an authorized dealer in Canadian for our portable products, we have been lobbying and we shall continue our ice-breaking work. We hope good news is round the corner, but for the meantime, we have to advice our customer to consider "nearby" available options and exercise your caution in due cause.

For those who really need help, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do. As usual, I'll try to be helpful, but not pushing.

We don't have an English N5 manual available on-line, will put this in my to-do list, I'll most likely take this up after CanJam RMAF.

Thank you Andy, much appreciated. And don't lose heart, the challenging battles sometimes take longer to fight, but if you stay the course you will break through, and us Canadians will be grateful for it. Cayin isn't the first, nor will it be the last company to suffer this indignity. I've become so accustomed to viewing the US as my 'supermarket' that it seems second nature, although we never seem able to forget the stupidity and inconvenience of it. Though if it's something I want, I usually find a way to get it.

Regarding the manual.......it would be very sweet to have an up-to-date manual describing the latest firmware capabilities. I'm presuming the hard copy in the box I receive next week will be significantly out of date. That said, I have copied your notes on the various updates from this forum, so all should be good.
PJ

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #2,210 of 2,546
Thank you Andy, much appreciated. And don't lose heart, the challenging battles sometimes take longer to fight, but if you stay the course you will break through, and us Canadians will be grateful for it. Cayin isn't the first, nor will it be the last company to suffer this indignity. I've become so accustomed to viewing the US as my 'supermarket' that it seems second nature, although we never seem able to forget the stupidity and inconvenience of it. Though if it's something I want, I usually find a way to get it.

Regarding the manual.......it would be very sweet to have an up-to-date manual describing the latest firmware capabilities. I'm presuming the hard copy in the box I receive next week will be significantly out of date. That said, I have copied your notes on the various updates from this forum, so all should be good.
PJ

The North America market is harder to penetrate then expected, but I won't blame your market for that. There are numerous factors that make their life difficult: strong competition with new products or even new brands emerge frequently, globalization leads to severe parallel imports and price war, tedious custom, repair service at 7000 miles away, ....... We just need more time and resource to deal with these and, as you suggested, to stay on course until we can break through.

My writing are kind of passive and unorganized because I respond to questions from the floor instead of going through the subjects systematically. I can imagine how exhaustive that can be if you have traced my notes on this forum, this is a very diligent effort that I must salute you sincerely.

Please don't hesitate to raise your question after you receive your N5, and we are looking forwards to your impression. :beerchug:

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #2,212 of 2,546
The North America market is harder to penetrate then expected, but I won't blame your market for that. There are numerous factors that make their life difficult: strong competition with new products or even new brands emerge frequently, globalization leads to severe parallel imports and price war, tedious custom, repair service at 7000 miles away, ....... We just need more time and resource to deal with these and, as you suggested, to stay on course until we can break through.

My writing are kind of passive and unorganized because I respond to questions from the floor instead of going through the subjects systematically. I can imagine how exhaustive that can be if you have traced my notes on this forum, this is a very diligent effort that I must salute you sincerely.

Please don't hesitate to raise your question after you receive your N5, and we are looking forwards to your impression.
beerchug.gif

I like the fact you are comfortable 'shooting from the hip,' it is appealing to product owners and despite its potential flaws, the bonus factor enabling customers to interface directly inside the corporation is huge. You cannot underestimate its impact on sales.

Why wouldn't Cayin consider directly supporting Canadian buyers (and similar countries) shipping directly from the factory. I am unaware of the intricacies of that effort but from a buyers point of view it would be nice.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #2,217 of 2,546
Hello Andykong

Why not to add wv (wavpack) playing functionality to N5? It will be great. I think Im not alone in this suggestion.

We normally keep the software team intact on refinement and enhancement of a new product during the first 3-4 months of product launch, the team will move on to support other product after the "Focused" development period. So to be honest, the resource we can devoted to N5 firmware development is limited right now, subsequent firmware release, if there is any, will be mainly enhancement of user experience only.

I'll remind the team to look into this format when we develop new products for N series, and if that works out and the codes is applicable to N5 as well, we might have a chance to migrate that to N5 subsequently, but that will be quite some time before we go into that kind of detail. Sorry for unable to entertain your request as-is, hope you can appreciate the limitation we, as a small manufacturing house (all audiophile manufacturer are small scale by nature), have to live with. :beerchug:

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #2,218 of 2,546
Although implementation delays are often disappointing, the limitations of small companies can frequently work to their advantage.
For proof just look to where Cayin has already arrived.

MS and that fruity company known so well for gouging thought they could have their cake and eat it too.......now all they have is the plate.

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #2,219 of 2,546
I like the fact you are comfortable 'shooting from the hip,' it is appealing to product owners and despite its potential flaws, the bonus factor enabling customers to interface directly inside the corporation is huge. You cannot underestimate its impact on sales.

Why wouldn't Cayin consider directly supporting Canadian buyers (and similar countries) shipping directly from the factory. I am unaware of the intricacies of that effort but from a buyers point of view it would be nice.

Thanks for your kind word, we come from a traditional HiFi background and is unfamiliar with the skill and requirements of portable market, so the most nature things is to learn from intelligent customers.

A lot of customers probably didn't aware that Cayin is a state-owned enterprise, we have strict procedure regarding foreign currency transactions, so our options is limited when come to international trading and direct dealing with consumer is kind of .... difficult. We do aware the bottleneck issue, when customers find it difficult to buy something, they'll look for convenient alternatives. We just have to double our effort to resolve the problem and keep our finger cross when we look for distributors and dealers in the oversea market.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #2,220 of 2,546
We normally keep the software team intact on refinement and enhancement of a new product during the first 3-4 months of product launch, the team will move on to support other product after the "Focused" development period. So to be honest, the resource we can devoted to N5 firmware development is limited right now, subsequent firmware release, if there is any, will be mainly enhancement of user experience only.

I'll remind the team to look into this format when we develop new products for N series, and if that works out and the codes is applicable to N5 as well, we might have a chance to migrate that to N5 subsequently, but that will be quite some time before we go into that kind of detail. Sorry for unable to entertain your request as-is, hope you can appreciate the limitation we, as a small manufacturing house (all audiophile manufacturer are small scale by nature), have to live with.
beerchug.gif

I hope the next round of user experience enhancement include playlist editing, like renaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back