Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 12, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #392 of 654
20240412_113031.jpg
20240412_112820.jpg
20240412_112823.jpg

It's arrived and recognised all my cover art which is a bonus! Sound superb!

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #393 of 654

It's arrived and recognised all my cover art which is a bonus! Sound superb!
Congratulations!! mine should come next week
How does it sound with IMR Titan? and compared to RU7?

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #394 of 654
Will be testing with the Titan later and I only have the Ru6 but will be comparing with the Cayin N7 dap.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #395 of 654
Best iem that has the tonality I like (crisp, detailed, extended but refined [a combination I've only heard with the annihilator 2021] and dynamic with huge soundstage), close to top end source (Nothing past kilobuck is quite worth the small sq bump just yet imo)

Will be testing with the Titan later and I only have the Ru6 but will be comparing with the Cayin N7 dap.
Please compare with the Ru6 too

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #396 of 654
Bigger soundstage, more holographic, more articulated bass. Efortless highs. To me, N3U sounds a bit like the RU7 hooked up to an amplifier. If you add up RU7 and the USB cable, the N3U is a pretty good deal.
1000026745.jpg

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #397 of 654
Andy,

There aren't screen protectors available on Amazon. Is there another model with a 4.1" screen that has protectors available I can buy? The pre-applied protector came off when i removed the protective marketing film.

Looks like the A&K KANN Aplha might fit as it has a 4.1" screen.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #398 of 654
Andy,

There aren't screen protectors available on Amazon. Is there another model with a 4.1" screen that has protectors available I can buy? The pre-applied protector came off when i removed the protective marketing film.

Looks like the A&K KANN Aplha might fit as it has a 4.1" screen.
Isn't there a spare screen protector in the black envelope with the user quick guide? At least there's one in my black envelope.

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #399 of 654
Isn't there a spare screen protector in the black envelope with the user quick guide? At least there's one in my black envelope.
YOU sir are THE MAN! Thank you so much. I just got it and didn't even think to look in the envelope. I was going to leave it in the box until I found one.

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #400 of 654
YOU sir are THE MAN! Thank you so much. I just got it and didn't even think to look in the envelope. I was going to leave it in the box until I found one.
Whew! I thought for a second there my reputation was gonna go down a few notches... LoL! That's not the most important thing in there though, those Hi-Res stickers should be secured and coveted. I hate glossy screen protectors because they're fingerprint magnets. I hope that an anti-glare / anti-fingerprint protector will be available soon. That will be my first upgrade purchase for the N3U.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #402 of 654
@Andykong I also just received the N3Ultra and have similar recommendations to improve use of the stock music player:
  • Sorting by "Album Artist" is important since many songs have collaborations that are tagged as "artist featuring another artist", etc. under the "Artist" tag. Capability to sort by "Album Artist" solves this issue. This is especially true for compilation albums.
  • Bringing back option to scan short songs is a must! Many albums have shorter segments between songs or "interludes" that are missing using the current scan.
  • Allow option to ignore "The" in front of Artist name for alphabetical sorting. For example, "The Police" should be categorized under letter "P" not letter "T".
  • Add library category on home screen for "Hi-Res" that only includes high resolution file types/bitrates. This category should be sorted by Artist then Album then Song, not just a listing of all songs which is not that useful.
  • Similar to above, there is an option to change database sort option from "alphabetical" to "file format", which only seems to impact the "All" category. This is a good idea, but the "All" category should have capability to list by "Artist" and 'Album" with a toggle rather than just a listing of all songs, which is cumbersome to sort through.
  • Add feature to wake screen with double-tap, similar to android based Cayin DAPs.
  • Under "Class List" library, in addition to "Recently" category which displays recently played songs, also add "Recently Added" cayegory that lets you view songs recently scanned/added to the library.
Tube mode sounds phenomenal on this DAP... there are just some quirks with the music player that should be addressed to improve the user experience. None of the above requests should be difficult to implement so I am hopefully they can be addressed with a firmware update in the near future.

Some of the requests are hardware or system-related, for example, double tab wake-up is impossible because gesture is not supported in this implementation. Anyway, I didn't know enough to evaluate the feasibility and workload of each request, I forwarded the list to our Software Engineer and asked them to evaluate the feasibility. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 13, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #403 of 654
@Andykong I'm really enjoying the device but have a question on the software side. How does one sign in to save EQ profiles? I can't seem to find an option to sign in like on the Cayin App. Is it even possible?

I just found out that we have oversimplified the UI design, will rectify this silly mistake in the next firmware.

Go to the standard EQ function, select SAVE, Select Add, and the following Add New EQ screen will pop up.

1712989657207.png

First of all, there is a classic White text on the White dialog box bug in this screen and we'll rectify it in the next firmware, there are two white dialog boxes at the bottom of the screen, the right box is SAVE, and the left box is Cancel. Immediately above the dialog box, there is a check box "Save to Server", Unceck the box, and the EQ setting will save in N3Ultra locally, and this setting will affect both standard EQ and PEQ.

Obviously, this is a stupid design, so I'll make sure we change it to something more logical and reasonable. :pray: :pray:

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #404 of 654
How long is the vacuum tube used for n3u and will it be easy to replace at the end of its life?

Roughly 20,0000 - 30,000 hours. JAN6418 is widely available but these miniature tubes are hard-wired to the circuit board, so you need a skilled technician to change the tube for you or send it back to the Cayin Zhuhai office for replacement.

To the best of my knowledge, the original N3Pro used the same JAN6418 and we haven't received any complaints regarding wear-out vacuum tubes so far. If the tubes continue to work after the first month, they probably will outlive your DAP.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #405 of 654
You can already organize the artist entries, but album. I want to organize the Artist list by the "Album Artist" tag. Other's have already explained this as well.

Regarding the thumbnail art. I did exactly as you said. Took out SD card, did a music scan. I then inserted a blank card and "set up" this blank card in the player. I then added the AC/DC tracks to this blank card and scanned, and got the same results. I would like to add that it is just the thumbnail that is not working. The album art shows correctly when I play the songs from the album, therefore I do not think it is a problem with the artwork file itself. Again the thumbnail shows correctly on my other HIBY music players.
I recall some software having issues with files that had album art images over a certain size. This may be something worth checking. 500x500 px used to be the norm, but I've heard of people using images over 1000px, but I don't know what the standard now is, if any.

Not at all. After the N3 Ultra had sat playing music for a whole day, I can touch the vents and feel almost nothing. The heat seems to get distributed across the chassis, so the DAP becomes warm. I haven't tried it in a pocket, though I don't imagine it getting hot enough to matter.

I'm intending to do that in my review against the Woo Audio Tube Mini at least.

Currawong raised a very good point.

The Album art is properly displayed at normal playback but fails at the thumbnail, implying the music scan process fails to generate the thumbnail for these album arts. Cayin Music Player has an upper-resolution limit of 1000x1000 for album art, @alwass89 can you check the dimensions of the embedded album art?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back