Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 14, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #421 of 640
I'm curious about the volume wheel on this new model. The one on my n3 Pro is an inconsistent mess and has been that way for a few years now and is the main reason I am holding back on the n3 Ultra
This is the exact reason I asked Andykong (a few post back) for activation of an On Screen volume control in case the volume wheel goes kaputt.

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #422 of 640
Great synergy with ZMF and Abyss.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #423 of 640
I'm curious about the volume wheel on this new model. The one on my n3 Pro is an inconsistent mess and has been that way for a few years now and is the main reason I am holding back on the n3 Ultra
My N3 pro volume wheel broke after 7 months of use. It takes 2 months to repair. I am holding back too.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #424 of 640
Question for the hive mind: Does the PEQ work when in USB DAC mode (or any playback mode) or only when playing local files from the SD card?

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #425 of 640
how hot are these vents ? if I put it in my pocket, can my pants catch fire ? :)
Yes, touch at own risk (it's in the manual)...🤠

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #426 of 640
Congratulations!! mine should come next week
How does it sound with IMR Titan? and compared to RU7?
See post 389, might help a bit.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #430 of 640
Now they have moved the power on button off the wheel to the top on the N3Ultra the wheel is much more stable and smoother in function.

For the record, we have split the previous multiple-purpose On/Off/Volume button into On/Off button and volume knob since N8ii, the N3Ultra is the fourth DAP that adopts this design and from what I observed, the volume knob is robust and reliable. If anyone is concerned about the reliability of the volume knob, maybe they can visit the N8ii and N7 discussion threads and ask the users if the volume wheel is weak/fragile.

1713199958887.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #431 of 640
For the record, we have split the previous multiple-purpose On/Off/Volume button into On/Off button and volume knob since N8ii, the N3Ultra is the fourth DAP that adopts this design and from what I observed, the volume knob is robust and reliable. If anyone is concerned about the reliability of the volume knob, maybe they can visit the N8ii and N7 discussion threads and ask the users if the volume wheel is weak/fragile.

Thanks for the clarification. Any suggestions for N3 pros (with inoperable volume control) that doesn’t involve shipping back to China?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #434 of 640
I really am interested in potentially buying the n3ultra. It seems to harken back in spirit to how the original daps (than just called mp3 players) were meant to be. I dont like streaming as I have a large library of my own collection. l typically use mp3s and flacs but I also have less common ogg, opus, wav files etc plus probably others I'm forgetting. I'm hoping with a good case+screen cover I can use it outside and while walking plus some light exercise without it being too heavy or bulky. My ipod is getting up there in age and never owned another dap.

Few questions:

Can it handle my 20k songs m3u playlist and shuffle it? I liked to use it to shuffle my entire library on my iPod with Rockbox. Also probably pretty obvious but will all my IEMs and power hungry headphones see a significant improvement in overall sq? I've never owned a headphone amp and sorry for the elementary questions but essentially the n3ultra will give much more juice to my earphones than the ipod classic? Finally, is the microphonic noise or what have you a non issue from other wifi enabled devices as well? I live in a densely populated area with probably 30 routers in range. Theres radio waves blasting all over the place lol.

Again forgive my newb questions, I know just enough in the audiophile realm to enjoy my music but technical details are obviously not my forte...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back