Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #272 of 645
Sounds like it's the sameish concept then, I'd expect modern to be ultralinear and classic to be triode mode.

Just spent two days back with the N3 Pro and the triode mode definitely sounds the best out of the 3 modes. Ultralinear is a bit more punchy but soundstage is shallower and vocals are emphasised giving it a more forced and congested feeling despite having slightly better clarity than the triode mode.

Solid state mode is a complete write off for me having basically a 2d soundstage, flat dynamics and sterile presentation. Issue not being the tonality but presentation.

You could try the FiiO music app. Just scan library and go to the sampling rate category.

We have explained the naming convention in the opening post, please look for the "Gen3 Vacuum Tube Circuit: Taking JAN6418 Implementation into Another Step" paragraph.

Like the N3Pro, the N3Ultra offers two types of tube timbres: Classic (like the N3Pro’s triode circuit connection) and Modern (like the N3Pro’s ultra-linear circuit connection), providing an easier-to-understand nomenclature that highlights the tonal differences between the two circuits. The Classic timbre is thick, and warm, with rich overtones, best suited for vocal performances but weaker in dynamics and transients. The Modern timbre has a more open soundstage, with stronger extension at both ends and linearity. Thus, the naming follows the same definition as the N30LE, indicating consistency in sound presentation.

The Classic/Modern Tube timbre was introduced on our N30LE DAP, and we have spent months formulating the dual tube timbres that cover different needs and preferences. This becomes the framework of our Gen3 Vacuum Tube Circuit and when we try to pass down the technique to the N3 tier DAP, we go a bit further than the triode vs ultra-linear connections that we used in N3Pro. When you select the classic timbre, the JAN6418 is connected in triode mode, and we have tuned the circuit to sound closer to the "Classic" timbre that we want to deliver. Likewise applied to the Modern timbre option.

I have placed the functional diagram of N3Ultra and N3Pro side by side for discussion purposes. For the record, timbre is a very personal preference. Back in the early days of N3Pro, the ultra-linear mode was preferred by most users and the triode mode was so underrated. I have to persuade newcomers to "make sure you give them a try" before they take the advice from other users to stick with the ultra-linear as default.

N3Ultra vs N3Pro Timbre Circuit.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 5, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #273 of 645
We have explained the naming convention in the opening post, please look for the "Gen3 Vacuum Tube Circuit: Taking JAN6418 Implementation into Another Step" paragraph.

Like the N3Pro, the N3Ultra offers two types of tube timbres: Classic (like the N3Pro’s triode circuit connection) and Modern (like the N3Pro’s ultra-linear circuit connection), providing an easier-to-understand nomenclature that highlights the tonal differences between the two circuits. The Classic timbre is thick, and warm, with rich overtones, best suited for vocal performances but weaker in dynamics and transients. The Modern timbre has a more open soundstage, with stronger extension at both ends and linearity. Thus, the naming follows the same definition as the N30LE, indicating consistency in sound presentation.

The Classic/Modern Tube timbre was introduced on our N30LE DAP, and we have spent months formulating the dual tube timbres that cover different needs and preferences. This becomes the framework of our Gen3 Vacuum Tube Circuit and when we try to pass down the technique to the N3 tier DAP, we go a bit further than the triode vs ultra-linear connections that we used in N3Pro. When you select the classic timbre, the JAN6418 is connected in triode mode, and we have tuned the circuit to sound closer to the "Classic" timbre that we want to deliver. Likewise applied to the Modern timbre option.

I have placed the functional diagram of N3Ultra and N3Pro side by side for discussion purposes. For the record, timbre is a very personal preference. Back in the early days of N3Pro, the ultra-linear mode was preferred by most users and the triode mode was so underrated. I have to persuade newcomers to "make sure you give them a try" before they take the advice from other users to stick with the ultra-linear as default.

Looks like a tonne of thought and engineering went into the Ultra can't wait to hear mine!

I will have the iBasso DX170, A&K Kann Max and my Shanling M8 to compare.

Liking the odds the Ultra going to fair well and find a place 👌

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #276 of 645
I have been about to buy the RS2 but it is already 2 years old or more. I don't want Android, otherwise I would already have the DX170 before my eyes. This Cayin model is captivating me.
You know the N3Ultra is running Android, right? It's closed so you can't install apps from what I hear. I personally think that's ok. Cayin does not have the resources and expertise to roll their own OS, so have to work with an outside company. HiBy is their partner of choice. The N3Pro and N8 used a modified Linux based HiByOS and it's a bit limited. The only other option is Android, which I think is the right choice for Cayin.

I have an RS2, and the Linux based HibyOS works fine for me as my library is about 19K songs, all FLAC, ALAC, MP3, and AAC. That said, it's an older CPU and is a bit limited. I have used the Cayin Music Player on my N7, and it's a lot nicer to use. It's not perfect but works a lot better with less issues than HiByOS pure. I can't wait to try it on the N3Ultra. BTW, I love the RS2. A lot of the good sound qualities of the RS6, but very small and light. You can find them used for good prices.

Apr 5, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #278 of 645

Yeah I definitely remember being one of the few holdout triode mode lovers when everyone was using ultralinear.

I don't use warm iems so perhaps that's why.

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #279 of 645
The N3Ultra DAP is in action at Canjam Singapore 2024. If you were attending the event, you can check them out at booth F11-F14.

1000156811.jpg

1000156802.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 6, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #281 of 645
The N3Ultra DAP is in action at Canjam Singapore 2024. If you were attending the event, you can check them out at booth F11-F14.

Ooh that’s me in the picture today 😅😅😅
I preorder N3U today with Zeppelin 😊

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #282 of 645
Andykong may I ask when the N3u will be released…cos I try asking someone no one seem to know 😂

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #284 of 645
Andykong may I ask when the N3u will be released…cos I try asking someone no one seem to know 😂
It already is. I ordered late Thursday evening and got an email on Friday, confirming that they had just got them in and had already sent it out to me. Was hoping to receive it today, but no such luck. Hopefully Monday.

Edit: see also this post #227.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #285 of 645
Had a short audition today and here are what I like (using my Elysium):

- the warm sound of the Classic tube mode
- the damping of the mechanical volume dial is better than that of N3Pro (but I think the grip of N3U can be better)
- UI is smooth
- the monitor size
- the mobile phone interference was minimal when I put my IPhone side-by-side
- the transparent bumper case is pretty nice
- for music of jazz/acoustic guitars (but not so much for electronic music like Kraftwerk’s)

Can be better:
- the track slider could be bigger for those with fat fingers (can be done in next firmware?)
(As @DVision44 has reminded me, the displayed of track slider can be changed too)

IMG_6809.jpeg
Against my ZX-707

IMG_6810.jpeg
They glow!

IMG_6813.jpeg
The track slider can be bigger.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back