Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
May 7, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #2,101 of 2,518
The primary reasons to use Android DAP for me is to use full support of Tidal/Deezer or any services like that. And specifically Android because only on Android DAPs you can have proper offline downloads of the library - I haven't seen any other DAPs able to do this. This was the main reasons I got my Cayin N6ii as N3 Pro fell short on that requirement.
Care to compare the two Cayin DAPs? I've been circling an N6ii with either the T01 or E02 card.

May 7, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #2,102 of 2,518
Care to compare the two Cayin DAPs? I've been circling an N6ii with either the T01 or E02 card.
It boils down to your taste. There's a reason for price difference between N3 Pro and N6ii. N6ii implementation of dual discrete sounds larger and more refined to my ears (with E02 board which is dual ES9038Q2M & 4 Opamps). And I said also boils down to taste as I prefer the ESS sparkly resolving and transparent characteristics over AKM softer edged sonic signature which AK4493EQ duo in N3 Pro offers. But then N6ii also have options for AKM by simply switching to A02. Even as I type this reply, I am listening to my N6ii E02 -> Lineout -> MiniBox E+ -> AKG K52, even if my dekstop rig is sitting literally beside me, they are just so massive sounding for a portable setup. And yes I plan to get T01 board as well.

May 8, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #2,103 of 2,518
A question for all of you who enjoy the N3Pro and its glorious tubes: what Android DAPs do you like, and why? Even if they sound very different from the N3Pro I’m interested in your take.
Cheers.
I have the DX160 and N3 Pro. I was going to make a detailed comparison of the two, but the more i listened the more it seemed like an unfair comparion. Even if the DX160 is priced below the N3 Pro.

Eventually I just scrapped the comparison. Enough said.

It boils down to your taste. There's a reason for price difference between N3 Pro and N6ii. N6ii implementation of dual discrete sounds larger and more refined to my ears (with E02 board which is dual ES9038Q2M & 4 Opamps). And I said also boils down to taste as I prefer the ESS sparkly resolving and transparent characteristics over AKM softer edged sonic signature which AK4493EQ duo in N3 Pro offers. But then N6ii also have options for AKM by simply switching to A02. Even as I type this reply, I am listening to my N6ii E02 -> Lineout -> MiniBox E+ -> AKG K52, even if my dekstop rig is sitting literally beside me, they are just so massive sounding for a portable setup. And yes I plan to get T01 board as well.
Stock N6ii vs N3 Pro I'd take the N3 Pro for its better dynamics on tube output. But with other modules the N6ii pulls ahead and finally sounds competitive with the likes of the DX220 + aftermarket modules and M11 Pro but still costing a fair amount more.

May 8, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #2,104 of 2,518
What is the latest firmware, i thought i had it installed (2.1) but when i try to do a ota update it says there is an update but it fails to load - can anyone point me to the google download page?

thanks

d

May 8, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #2,105 of 2,518
What is the latest firmware, i thought i had it installed (2.1) but when i try to do a ota update it says there is an update but it fails to load - can anyone point me to the google download page?

thanks

d
if you pull down the top menu and choose about (below the brightness slider) you will see what version is currently installed

May 8, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #2,106 of 2,518
if you pull down the top menu and choose about (below the brightness slider) you will see what version is currently installed
2.1 is the last one. Reset your unit to factory settings after you flash the 2.1 and you should be fine.
Firmware is here: https://en.cayin.cn/download

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #2,108 of 2,518
The Announcement of N3Pro Firmware V2.3

N3-Pro_v2.3.jpg

New Functions and System Optimization

1. Added scrolling display on filename of playback screen;
2. Fixed connection issue of HiByLink with iOS devices;
3. Rectified selected UI and wordings;
4. Other Bug fix and optimization.

Firmware Upgrade Procedure

Cayin will release firmware upgrades to enhance and optimize N3Pro as deem required, the new firmware can be acquired through OTA or manual download, since the content of these firmwares are identical, you can select whichever upgrade option that fit your needs.

Please make sure the device has sufficient battery power before you proceed. Please confirm the device has not less than 30% battery power; otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to firmware upgrade.

Download and Upgrade Procedures

You can visit our official website to check out the upgrade procedures or download the v2.3 firmware manually.

You can also download the v2.3 firmware through our Google Drive link.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 19, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #2,109 of 2,518
did the Meze Classic 99 pairing with the N3 Pro
compared it against the Senn 58x, 6XX, Phillips shp9500 and Ollo Audio S4X
and yes, it's the perfect pairing

Need to compare the Meze to the Night Owl another closed back

May 19, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #2,111 of 2,518
Anyone notice an upper mids brightness with the tubes? On some tracks it be annoying and makes the tube experience not as relaxing as you might expect.
With ultralinear its actually slightly neutral bright in the mids. To me it sounds like there is a boost in the upper mids which some enjoy for the better percieved detail and airiness I suppose. I perfer Triode mode over ultralinear myself. Its the actual tubey sound you look for from tube amplification, ultralinear is kind of artificial sounding in comparison.

Ultimately it depends on the tonality of your iems and how it pairs with each mode.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #2,112 of 2,518
With ultralinear its actually slightly neutral bright in the mids. To me it sounds like there is a boost in the upper mids which some enjoy for the better percieved detail and airiness I suppose. I perfer Triode mode over ultralinear myself. Its the actual tubey sound you look for from tube amplification, ultralinear is kind of artificial sounding in comparison.

Ultimately it depends on the tonality of your iems and how it pairs with each mode.

I actually don't mind the SS/tube hybrid sound of UL, except the upper mids "glare". It would otherwise be a nice compomise that would work for my whole liberary, whereas triode is better for slower, acoustic and less complex music. I wonder if that's something that could be tweaked with a FW update?

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #2,113 of 2,518
Just installed the 2.3 Firmware for my N3Pro...3 or 4 hours after being released :)
As suggested, re-scanned my music. All went well.

Triode mode is generally my favorite mode for my IEM's.

4.4mm Balanced (SS only) powers my modded Senn 598's beautifully, which is a real treat, too.

And, I personally love the full time line out jack and use that on a regular basis, too.

Nice, versatile unit.

May 19, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #2,114 of 2,518
Triode sounds a little slow and you shaped, but you're right it does get rid of the upper mids boost. I wonder - can the tuning be tweeked via firmware? UL

I actually don't mind the SS/tube hybrid sound of UL, except the upper mids "glare". It would otherwise be a nice compomise that would work for my whole liberary, whereas triode is better for slower, acoustic and less complex music. I wonder if that's something that could be tweaked with a FW update?

Its likely a personal preference or synergy problem with your IEM, we have a lot of impression sharing regarding ultralinear mode of N3Pro, the glare issue only comes out very infrequently.

In Cayin's brief history of Personal Audio , we have released over 10 DAPs (if we count each audio motherboard independently), but we have never modify the sound signature of our products via firmware update.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 20, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #2,115 of 2,518
I would like to have a comparison to the FiiO X5 (3rd Generation). On the data sheet, they seems to be pretty similar.

I mostly listening to metal and ambient music and like a focus on bass and mids with a warm, musical, lively sound.

I like details but not being too analytical, wide and open.

Do you think that the N3Pro would be an upgrade for me soundwise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back