Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Apr 13, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #2,071 of 2,518
I am having a problem with my N3. Last night the display screen turned off while I was scrolling through genres. I put it on the charger and the red circle light came on but nothing with the display. The display screen would still not turn on this morning so I plugged the device into my computer. Still no display screen and when I unplugged it the red circle continues to glow. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #2,072 of 2,518
I am having a problem with my N3. Last night the display screen turned off while I was scrolling through genres. I put it on the charger and the red circle light came on but nothing with the display. The display screen would still not turn on this morning so I plugged the device into my computer. Still no display screen and when I unplugged it the red circle continues to glow. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
It sounds like your screen may be faulty

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #2,074 of 2,518
Hello!

Has anyone tried an Audeze LCD 2 classic on this dap? Is it possible to use in 3.5 output? What headphone would you buy for rock music? Grado SR325e? Closed headphones is OK too. I would like to use 3.5 output. Price under 500 used.

Thank you very much for all

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #2,075 of 2,518
I just posted my video, if anyone is interested.

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #2,076 of 2,518
FInally was able to connect to my N3 Pro using Android HibyApp UAT 1200kbps. Now need to figure out how to force Tidal to use UAT instead of of LDAC 990kbps

20210417_013257_HDR.jpg

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #2,077 of 2,518
Hello!

Has anyone tried an Audeze LCD 2 classic on this dap? Is it possible to use in 3.5 output? What headphone would you buy for rock music? Grado SR325e? Closed headphones is OK too. I would like to use 3.5 output. Price under 500 used.

Thank you very much for all

The Grado should work fine, I have the RS1i and that sounds very passionate sound to, I am not sure if RS2e is an update along the same line, but definitely worth checking out. If you want a closed back full size that won't exhausted the 3.5mm output from N3Pro, you can consider Shure 1540 and Beyer DT1770.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 17, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #2,078 of 2,518
@Andykong N3 Pro can act as Bluetooth UAT 1.2 receiver, to make use of this how to set it up on my Android phone? Thanks
FInally was able to connect to my N3 Pro using Android HibyApp UAT 1200kbps. Now need to figure out how to force Tidal to use UAT instead of of LDAC 990kbps

Glad you find a way to connect your mobile phone with N3Pro in UAT. If you wan to force Tidal to use UAT, maybe you can try UAPP in your mobile phone.

By the way, what mobile are you using? Did you compare both LDAC and UAT with the same Hi-Res track from your mobile? The UAT sounds better?

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #2,079 of 2,518
Glad you find a way to connect your mobile phone with N3Pro in UAT. If you wan to force Tidal to use UAT, maybe you can try UAPP in your mobile phone.

By the way, what mobile are you using? Did you compare both LDAC and UAT with the same Hi-Res track from your mobile? The UAT sounds better?
Honestly I am still trying to see if major improvements are audible. I am connecting it using LG V35 Android phone via Hiby App. You see the problem is, my FLAC collections are primarily running on 600-950 kbps (44.1/16bit) real time (as observed via VLC on my desktop), and rarely I see FLAC unfolds greater than 1000kbps . And my LGV35 was able to maintain LDAC 990kbps all the time. So if the playback is actually decoded below 990kbps then there's no difference between LDAC and UAT. So to really make full use of UAT I may need to find higher bitrate songs that will play uncompressed at over 1200kbps.

If I may say this, UAT is more for future proofing when the use of media that consistently unfolds at 1000kbps, perhaps like more common use of MQA, DSD etc. Otherwise 80% of FLACs will sound just as great on LDAC

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #2,080 of 2,518
I just posted my video, if anyone is interested.

Thank you for your contribution, as usual, your video coverage are very informative and detail. Definitely a good introduction to new users or potential buyers.

Just one minor comment. We use the matched pair JAN6418 as tube buffer, it operates in very low current only, that's why it run cools and won't consume a lot of battery. The N3Pro tube mode can last 9 hours with a single charge, we can't do that if we use the JAN6418 as an amplification stage. For the same reason, we didn't select dual AK4493 as a compromise to facilitate vacuum tube in N3Pro.

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #2,081 of 2,518
Honestly I am still trying to see if major improvements are audible. I am connecting it using LG V35 Android phone via Hiby App. You see the problem is, my FLAC collections are primarily running on 600-950 kbps (44.1/16bit) real time (as observed via VLC on my desktop), and rarely I see FLAC unfolds greater than 1000kbps . And my LGV35 was able to maintain LDAC 990kbps all the time. So if the playback is actually decoded below 990kbps then there's no difference between LDAC and UAT. So to really make full use of UAT I may need to find higher bitrate songs that will play uncompressed at over 1200kbps.

If I may say this, UAT is more for future proofing when the use of media that consistently unfolds at 1000kbps, perhaps like more common use of MQA, DSD etc. Otherwise 80% of FLACs will sound just as great on LDAC

Don't just look at the bitrate, you need to audition the two codec with your own music carefully to differentiate them. Codec at same bitrate can also sound different because they employ different algorithm to compress and decompress, and the transmission protocol might involve different packet handling and error correction. Beside, if your FLAC is playback at 600-950 kbps, it will occupy even less bandwidth when stream over LDAC and UAT because both codec are NOT lossless based, so the compression algorithm and stability of connection is more important than the bitrate number.

If you want to test the limit of the connection, go to 2L and download some 24Bit/192khz samples and compare them in LDAC and UAT, that probably will reveal more different.

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #2,082 of 2,518
Don't just look at the bitrate, you need to audition the two codec with your own music carefully to differentiate them. Codec at same bitrate can also sound different because they employ different algorithm to compress and decompress, and the transmission protocol might involve different packet handling and error correction. Beside, if your FLAC is playback at 600-950 kbps, it will occupy even less bandwidth when stream over LDAC and UAT because both codec are NOT lossless based, so the compression algorithm and stability of connection is more important than the bitrate number.

If you want to test the limit of the connection, go to 2L and download some 24Bit/192khz samples and compare them in LDAC and UAT, that probably will reveal more different.
Again thanks Andy, appreciate the insights. I will surely test this further and at depth

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #2,083 of 2,518

You have connected the N3Pro to charger overnight but the display screen still not turning on? Can you press on the power button for 12 seconds to force the N3Pro to power off, and then turn it on again? Theoretically that should reset the software status of the player.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #2,084 of 2,518
We use the matched pair JAN6418 as tube buffer, it operates in very low current only, that's why it run cools and won't consume a lot of battery. The N3Pro tube mode can last 9 hours with a single charge, we can't do that if we use the JAN6418 as an amplification stage. For the same reason, we didn't select dual AK4493 as a compromise to facilitate vacuum tube in N3Pro.
Thanks for the correction. I've posted a copy of this in the comments on the video with a link to this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back