Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 4, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #676 of 2,518
I briefly compared both after I'm not using R3 for a long time. TBH R3 is still a wonderful DAP. I used the Starfield to test.

R3 have overall balance sound from low to high, crisp and clean sound. It make N3P SS mode mid recessed and having a mist covered all the sound. R3 is a win vs N3P SS mode.

When switch to UL mode, the N3P sound balance as R3 with little mid forward and having fuller and beefier sound than R3. So, N3P UL is a win vs R3.

Well, those are my personal opinion and the N3P still not fully burn in, it's just out of the box today.

I consider your impression very positive given it's just out of the box today. You don't need to burn in for very long hours, even with miniature tubes inside. 50 hours makes a lot of different already. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 4, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #677 of 2,518
I am (also) interested in using the n3pro as a transport either to a dac/amp (mojo) or to an external headphone amplifier.

My question is if in either of these scenarios, the tubes have any affect on the sound or if the signals goes out of the n3pro before the tube stage?

Yes, the matched pair JAN6418 only involved in 3.5mm phone out. It is out of the loop when you use digital out or line out.

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #678 of 2,518
Just got the unit today after wait for delivery from the dealer (Thailand)

What surprised me is I got the leather case even though the dealer I pre order not mentioned that it will come with the case. The case is nicer than it look on the picture, I like it even though I hate the colored leather.

The DAP itself is also nice but I not sure that I take already taken the factory screen protector out or not. It said to remove the packing film before use, so I take off the transparent film that poorly applied (on top of the screen) but I don't feel or see any film applied underneath it.

The DAP itself is steady enough and lighter than expected, button feel nice and clicky.

Only one weird thing is the DAP battery is completely empty out of the box, It's not common thing for electronic device that come with completely drained battery.

My guess is, the N3Pro was turned on accidentally in the package and drained the battery, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Last edited:

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #679 of 2,518
Here are my first impression. I mainly compared to Hiby R3 cause I aim to replace the R3 with N3P

UI - Browsing everything is smooth, not the fastest but no annoying lag or stutter. Many screen look alike to R3.
No list all songs when browse by Artist, only show albums to select. No swipe left and right control as R3, have to reach the finger to top left corner to go back.

Top setting menu when swipe down working well but the Bottom setting menu when swipe up may interrupt when browsing and drag your finger on screen too low. Especially when try to configure some settings with slide bar (ex. idle shut down time) the slide bar is always at the bottom of the screen. You know it hard enough to precious the settings when using slide bar with touch screen and combine with setting menu that easy to accidentally pop up :triportsad:

Bluetooth - Connect with Hifiman Deva I got some stutter, maybe little better than R3. No volume adjust option as R3 (to fine tune the BT volume scale). No light on home button when using BT.

Sound - I only use the 3.5mm High gain. Paired with Ananda not impressed at all, seem it not enough power to drive it well. Switch to Moondrop Starfield the N3P start to shine.

SS mode - Lean and thinnest sound of all mode. Nothing wrong but nothing special.

Triode - Make overall sound of SS mode fuller, thicker and push the sound farther for more relax and laid back.

UL - Change the mid and high of Triode to be closer and a overall sound a little faster than Triode.

So, for me I think I will stick with UL most of the time and switch to Triode when want to relax with jazz or vocal.
You didn't use 4.4 for ananda?

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #680 of 2,518
You didn't use 4.4 for ananda?

I not having any balanced cable, I mainly use everything 3.5. For me I think why bother to go balanced if SE can be sound great, I might be old fashioned that still stick to 3.5

By the way, I think main selling point of N3P is 3.5 tube mode that I decided to bought it. I might try 4.4 if found some good deals.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #682 of 2,518
I not having any balanced cable, I mainly use everything 3.5. For me I think why bother to go balanced if SE can be sound great, I might be old fashioned that still stick to 3.5

By the way, I think main selling point of N3P is 3.5 tube mode that I decided to bought it. I might try 4.4 if found some good deals.

Yes you're talking about a huge power difference between 3.5 and bal 4.4.

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #683 of 2,518
Congrats for getting one of the last few N3Pro units. Hopefully I’ll be able to get my hands on one by next week :)

Hope the COVID situation there will be better soon. Stay safe!
Thank you very much! :)

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #684 of 2,518
Here are my first impression. I mainly compared to Hiby R3 cause I aim to replace the R3 with N3P

UI - Browsing everything is smooth, not the fastest but no annoying lag or stutter. Many screen look alike to R3.
No list all songs when browse by Artist, only show albums to select. No swipe left and right control as R3, have to reach the finger to top left corner to go back.

Top setting menu when swipe down working well but the Bottom setting menu when swipe up may interrupt when browsing and drag your finger on screen too low. Especially when try to configure some settings with slide bar (ex. idle shut down time) the slide bar is always at the bottom of the screen. You know it hard enough to precious the settings when using slide bar with touch screen and combine with setting menu that easy to accidentally pop up :triportsad:

Bluetooth - Connect with Hifiman Deva I got some stutter, maybe little better than R3. No volume adjust option as R3 (to fine tune the BT volume scale). No light on home button when using BT.

Sound - I only use the 3.5mm High gain. Paired with Ananda not impressed at all, seem it not enough power to drive it well. Switch to Moondrop Starfield the N3P start to shine.

SS mode - Lean and thinnest sound of all mode. Nothing wrong but nothing special.

Triode - Make overall sound of SS mode fuller, thicker and push the sound farther for more relax and laid back.

UL - Change the mid and high of Triode to be closer and a overall sound a little faster than Triode.

So, for me I think I will stick with UL most of the time and switch to Triode when want to relax with jazz or vocal.
Have been using the Cayin N3pro for 2 nights now. I have very similar usage style. Tube Ultralinear for most music genre. Detail is very good. Tube Triode for more relaxing music and mood. I especially love female vocals on tube triode. Sounds very nice, smooth and sweet.

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #685 of 2,518

I like your approach, 3.5mm is underrated in past few years, brands and users put most of their effort to balanced output, leaving only a DAP that took 3..5mm phone out seriously. In fact, when we put Nutube into 3.5mm phone output of N8 but not 4.4mm balanced phone out, we receive a lot of negative comment before they get to hear the player.

On the other hand, full size headphones will drain more current then IEM, and planar headphones is generally more demanding (in terms of current) then dynamic headphones, so technically your Ananda should be benefited by the extra power in 4.4mm phone out of N3Pro. For the record, Ananda is rated at 35 Ω , and the output of 3.5mm (Tube) at 32 Ω is 130mW while the 4.4mm balanced phone out is 800mW at the same impedance loading.

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #686 of 2,518
I like your approach, 3.5mm is underrated in past few years, brands and users put most of their effort to balanced output, leaving only a DAP that took 3..5mm phone out seriously. In fact, when we put Nutube into 3.5mm phone output of N8 but not 4.4mm balanced phone out, we receive a lot of negative comment before they get to hear the player.

On the other hand, full size headphones will drain more current then IEM, and planar headphones is generally more demanding (in terms of current) then dynamic headphones, so technically your Ananda should be benefited by the extra power in 4.4mm phone out of N3Pro. For the record, Ananda is rated at 35 Ω , and the output of 3.5mm (Tube) at 32 Ω is 130mW while the 4.4mm balanced phone out is 800mW at the same impedance loading.

Might have been asked and answered already but any idea when they will hit the shelves in Europe?
I have new portable cans arriving next week and am contemplating pre-ordering them

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #687 of 2,518
Might have been asked and answered already but any idea when they will hit the shelves in Europe?
I have new portable cans arriving next week and am contemplating pre-ordering them

Please refer to my dated on 2 days ago (HERE)

Sep 5, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #688 of 2,518

What surprised me is I got the leather case even though the dealer I pre order not mentioned that it will come with the case. The case is nicer than it look on the picture, I like it even though I hate the colored leather.

The DAP itself is also nice but I not sure that I take already taken the factory screen protector out or not. It said to remove the packing film before use, so I take off the transparent film that poorly applied (on top of the screen) but I don't feel or see any film applied underneath it.

The DAP itself is steady enough and lighter than expected, button feel nice and clicky.

Only one weird thing is the DAP battery is completely empty out of the box, It's not common thing for electronic device that come with completely drained battery.
Mine was at 90-95% when it came out of the box :electric_plug:⚡

I think the build is great too, buttons are of high quality. Nothing flimsy, simple solid and nice. Size and weight are also perfect in my hand. No need for large screen or fancy UIs (for me) when listening to music. I kept the back plastic film intact to protect the chassis from scratches, hope this is OK, Modern problem requires modern solution

IMG-20200905-122650.jpg

Sep 5, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #689 of 2,518

Mine came with battery around 85-95% cannot remember the exact number.

Sep 5, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #690 of 2,518
Think of it as an unboxing vid with some commentary. It's just HBB's style. He freestyles, personally I like that. And if he doesn't like something he won't sugarcoat it.
It was the fact he couldn't be bothered to do even the slightest bit of research before making the video that bothered me. He claimed the tube was the same as that in the N8. If I know more than the guy doing the video, it becomes less than useless to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back