Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Oct 2, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #1,262 of 2,518
Seems like I am also hearing some tube noise/distortion. For example if there's a low level recorded solo bass on moderate-loud listening level, with every bass note played there seems to be added noise like dirt/modulation - it's definitely tube related as on non-tube mode the bass notes are very clear without any added distortion. I know with tubes we are meant to get some added, but this seems a bit much.. I'm guessing this is a design flaw, I get it on both tube modes..
Once all the instruments come in and the song kicks off the distortion is masked, but I can almost feel it's still there dirtying things up a bit.

I'd be interested to know how many of us have this..the way to test for this would be to have a low level recorded solo instrument - guitar or bass, and raise the volume on your player- compare solid state vs tube.

Update: I tested the same file but through USB Dac mode from my computer, and it didn't have this issue. It's a DSD file, so I thought to check the player settings - i had Native DSD set, for some reason this causes the added audio pollution when in tube mode. Using DoP mode does not have this problem anymore which is a relief. There's some background hiss which is acceptable but no other funny stuff going on from what I can hear

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #1,265 of 2,518
What music genre is best with tube amp? Is it vocal and jazz?
Jazz does sound good on the tubes... Certain classical pieces as well... Especially if it's something quite bare like a piano piece... It's also the quality of the recording that plays its part... Vinyl rips sound good on tubes and also... If you have bright headphones then it can take the edge off the treble... The one genre that almost never sounds good on tubes (at least with n3 pro) is edm

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #1,266 of 2,518
Jazz does sound good on the tubes... Certain classical pieces as well... Especially if it's something quite bare like a piano piece... It's also the quality of the recording that plays its part... Vinyl rips sound good on tubes and also... If you have bright headphones then it can take the edge off the treble... The one genre that almost never sounds good on tubes (at least with n3 pro) is edm
Thanks
Do you prefer the UL or Triode ?

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #1,267 of 2,518

I actually like electronic music with tubes (N3Pro or Oriolus BA300s from Ibasso DX160 4.4mm) and it's my preference but I switch around. Though it's obviously subjective and I mostly listen to 90s Goa trance, 90s underground techno/house and psybient (psychedelic ambient) so it might be related to production techniques. But check for instance Carbon Based Lifeforms (Derelicts album for instance) on tubes, the "warm cocoon" fits it perfectly.

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #1,268 of 2,518
I actually like electronic music with tubes (N3Pro or Oriolus BA300s from Ibasso DX160 4.4mm) and it's my preference but I switch around. Though it's obviously subjective and I mostly listen to 90s Goa trance, 90s underground techno/house and psybient (psychedelic ambient) so it might be related to production techniques. But check for instance Carbon Based Lifeforms (Derelicts album for instance) on tubes, the "warm cocoon" fits it perfectly.
Nice I will see if I can find it on tidal or Spotify

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #1,269 of 2,518
Agree with this. 90s techno/house hits different with tubes. Much smoother and more musical to my ears. Sounds expansive in UL mode, almost 3D-like, though I mostly use triode for relaxed listening sessions. Can't speak for EDM though as I don't have the tracks in my library.

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #1,271 of 2,518
And I just tested with some Goa trance from mid 90s (with BPM around 140 I guess) that I most certainly prefer it with tubes (N3Pro with with 3.5mm UL --> then to 4.4mm for comparison --> then back to 3.5mm UL). This with Thieaudio Clairvoyance IEM, 4.4mm cable with adapter to 3.5 when needed.

I actually said a week ago or so (before I got the Clairvoyance) that I preferred the triode more for pretty much everything, but with Clair it's different and I use UL for everything (so far) with it. So seems to be IEM dependent for sure + other factors of your subjective preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back