Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Aug 22, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #496 of 2,518
I know this is off topic but what really annoyed me about CDs when they were first introduced was all that rubbish about how they were virtually indestructible. You could go and rub them on the road outside and they'd still work perfectly etc. It turned out that nothing could have been further from the truth - the biggest load of marketing lies I've ever heard in my life.

It really is - hence why I ripped my entire collection to FLAC years ago as well as any new CDs I buy. Can get some great bargain music with older CDs, but just need to be careful if scratched to death or just totally dead!

Quite intrigued by this player - I want to buy a non Android/dedicated player this year. Excited to hear the reviews!

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #498 of 2,518
looking forward to this device, this is more what im looking for, analog sound with power and portability.
We are on the same threads a lot - IMR, Qudelix, here... high five!

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #499 of 2,518
We are on the same threads a lot - IMR, Qudelix, here... high five!
Bien sûr mon ami! Just got the Qudelix! really like it, though im in love this days with the nw 45a with ZX300 firmware, though i want something more analogue, i was obsessed with getting a btr5 to compare it with the qudelix but i think ill save my cash and get this one, i can live without streaming and use my phone as a tether device in case i need it.

Glad to read you here, which imr you got? i think atens and rah?

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #500 of 2,518
Be reminded that 3.5mm line out is a dedicated, unamplified line out, the 4.4mm line out of N3Pro is a shared fixed voltage output from headphone amplification circuit.

But there isn't a lot of equipment support 4.4mm balanced line input, wander what is your intend usage, connect the player to a portable balanced headphone amplifer?

Andy , I don't get whether I could be using the USB to coax Cayin cable I already normally use, does the USB C implementation has changed i.e. from the N3?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #501 of 2,518
I know this is off topic but what really annoyed me about CDs when they were first introduced was all that rubbish about how they were virtually indestructible.

Sorry, off topic again but what you really should have been pissed about is the fact that CD's were way cheaper to manufacture but the prices did not go down did they?? In some cases prices increased. We were all ripped off. Everytime I look at my stack of CD's from the 80's and 90's I'm reminded.

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #502 of 2,518
Sorry, off topic again but what you really should have been pissed about is the fact that CD's were way cheaper to manufacture but the prices did not go down did they?? In some cases prices increased. We were all ripped off. Everytime I look at my stack of CD's from the 80's and 90's I'm reminded.
Yeah that too. I never bought any CDs for years actually. I couldn't bring myself to buy all the same albums I'd already paid for on vinyl and I pretty much gave up buying music at all for a long time.

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #504 of 2,518
Bien sûr mon ami! Just got the Qudelix! really like it, though im in love this days with the nw 45a with ZX300 firmware, though i want something more analogue, i was obsessed with getting a btr5 to compare it with the qudelix but i think ill save my cash and get this one, i can live without streaming and use my phone as a tether device in case i need it.

Glad to read you here, which imr you got? i think atens and rah?
I like the Sony house sound too. In Europe their DAPs are a huge missed opportunity because of the overly conservative volume cap. I had an A-15 long ago, not the same league as the 45.

I've got the R1 and R2 Aten. Sent back the Zenith (too glary), the Rah (ridiculously good but leaked too much) and the Halcyon (wasn't really enjoying myself). Pre-ordered the Semper and hoping for a nice match with the N3Pro.
Which ones have you got?

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #505 of 2,518
Be reminded that 3.5mm line out is a dedicated, unamplified line out, the 4.4mm line out of N3Pro is a shared fixed voltage output from headphone amplification circuit.

But there isn't a lot of equipment support 4.4mm balanced line input, wander what is your intend usage, connect the player to a portable balanced headphone amplifer?
Thanks Andy, sorry for late reply. I already audited N3Pro at Zoundaholic store in my local shop. I use HUM MA-1B (4.4mm balanced class-A amplifier). Sound from 4.4mm lineout is not quite different with my recent Hiby R5 4.4mm lineout with HUM. But the 3.5mm Tubes sound incredibly good and can drive my VE Zen 2.0 black edition really great. So I can really tell that Cayin N3Pro can drive VE Zen 2.0 extremely well. :)

Aug 25, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #507 of 2,518
Wow! Came for the valves; staying for the funky green case and BT RX.

I nearly committed to a Dethonray DTR1 but decided I couldn't live without Tidal, so was about to save up £££ for a Shanling M6 Pro. Most of my listening will be with single-ended IEMs (Flare Audio Pro2HD) so the M6 Pro's power and multiple balanced outputs seems like overkill.

N3Pro hits a sweet spot for me - sound quality first; all-day battery performance; choice of single-ended output options; dedicated line-out; mature OS.

Bluetooth DAC functionality means I would be able to stream Tidal from my iPhone using AAC - differentiating in functional terms from DTR1; this is the right compromise for me at this price point.

I understand what @Andykong said earlier about this being a 'niche within a niche' market segment and feel very lucky that Cayin are here to provide toys of this apparent quality and style.

I hope N3Pro sounds as good as it looks. Good luck with the launch.

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #508 of 2,518
N3Pro hits a sweet spot for me - sound quality first; all-day battery performance; choice of single-ended output options; dedicated line-out; mature OS.
Hopefully it will be as mature as the firmware on the N8. But more importantly it should have a long firmware support life and not like the Cayin N5ii which was abandoned a year and a half after release.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #509 of 2,518
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back