Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Aug 18, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #436 of 2,518
What if i could cache a song/folder into ram? Theoretically that would be the best right? with it being orders of magnitude faster than the fastest SSD
Nope, the errors happened at the cell level interferences from the memory. It is as soon as being read....and therefore, regardless of where you store it, whether a cache or ram or buffer or whatever, it remains there.

Unless you have it read back directly from the CD into a RAM until it is played back then sure! That is why CD player playing a real CD is more preferable for some people :). ... we can Keep on going and Going without actually listening to music lol

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #437 of 2,518
OFF TOPIC

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #439 of 2,518
Exactly my thought!!!
So, the next question is...tubes lovers also love tube rolling. Are there any possible rolling combinations here for tubes :wink: ?

Desktop tube amp lovers love tube rolling :wink: Don't know how easy it will be to implement in a tiny DAP.

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #442 of 2,518
Aug 18, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #444 of 2,518
I look forward to seeing your results @seanwee

@Whitigir - if your error rate is low enough then it will be corrected, not interpolated using Reed-Solomon - CDs use this system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-interleaved_Reed–Solomon_coding I guess the down side is you are assuming that you will have errors so constantly transporting redundant data...

Feels like we should make a separate thread to discuss this further....

I realised I hadn't commented on the actual player - I'm excited to see the reviews, actual glowing valves in a modern DAP is winning me over even though I had convinced myself I wanted streaming in my next DAP :)
Unfortunately it didnt work. Android doesn't support NVMe SSDs apparently so thats the end of that.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #445 of 2,518
Exactly my thought!!!
So, the next question is...tubes lovers also love tube rolling. Are there any possible rolling combinations here for tubes :wink: ?
Knowing you I'm sure you'll be the first one to find out. Maybe even develop a frankenstein solution that allows you to put a Korg Nutube in there. Now that'll be something :wink:

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #446 of 2,518
Knowing you I'm sure you'll be the first one to find out. Maybe even develop a frankenstein solution that allows you to put a Korg Nutube in there. Now that'll be something :wink:
FB_IMG_1597821391961.jpg
FB_IMG_1597821400024.jpg
FB_IMG_1597821413035.jpg
20200819_151724.jpg

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #448 of 2,518
I find this fascinating - I cannot see any way that this can make a difference at all in any way, shape or form. The same exact files are read into the buffer and then converted to a digital sound wave and then converted to analogue via the DAC and then amplified...

With optical digital media there's loads of places that you could improve things - starting with the accuracy of the read (CD players have always had error correction built in as the assumption was that they wouldn't get 100% accuracy on reads) but as the player is reading the files and will be 100% accurate - I can't see how that benefit would work.

I'm not sure that I have the portable that's high enough quality to notice a difference if there is one - but it would be good to see any data to back this up.

Separately - can this Cayin read from USB or is that an assumption?

All three Cayin DAPs, including N3pro, supports OTG USB-Storage. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 19, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #449 of 2,518
The guy in this video show the N3Pro UI with a lot of songs (it’s in Thai though). Scrolling is very fast but there is some lags in the album art display. Skip to 12.05 for the song list.

Boot up time is exactly 10 seconds. That is quite fast. Not as fast as Lotoo’s 3 seconds super fast booting but still very fast and faster than A&K.

The delay was deliberated, we have delay the thumb nail display so that users can scroll up and down smoothly, if we display the thumb nail at the same time as we display the title or album information, the screen will slow down and you can only continue the scrolling option until all the thumbnail photo are displayed. This is a compromise given the limitation of the CPU in N3Pro.

Likewise, we have also delayed the displayed of album art by 2 sec when you play a song. There are a lot of read/write into the RAM and buffer when you just start a song. We put audio performance at top priority, so we make sure all the audio related data are handled, playback is stable, audio buffer is filled, ... then we fetch the album art and display on the screen. If we display the album art immediately, hi-res audio playback will be affect, although not everyone might hear it, but we know the implication and we have decided to take the blame of sluggish user experience for better audio performance.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 20, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #450 of 2,518
The delay was deliberated, we have delay the thumb nail display so that users can scroll up and down smoothly, if we display the thumb nail at the same time as we display the title or album information, the screen will slow down and you can only continue the scrolling option until all the thumbnail photo are displayed. This is a compromise given the limitation of the CPU in N3Pro.

Likewise, we have also delayed the displayed of album art by 2 sec when you play a song. There are a lot of read/write into the RAM and buffer when you just start a song. We put audio performance at top priority, so we make sure all the audio related data are handled, playback is stable, audio buffer is filled, ... then we fetch the album art and display on the screen. If we display the album art immediately, hi-res audio playback will be affect, although not everyone might hear it, but we know the implication and we have decided to take the blame of sluggish user experience for better audio performance.

Any updates on when preorders and shipments for the US may start?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back