Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Nov 19, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #2,116 of 2,988
Has anyone been having problems getting album art to show in Cayin Music and HiBy Music?

I have lots of AAC & ALAC albums that won't show album art. Some albums show the album art but then don't show the art on some tracks within in that album.

I have deleted these offending songs/albums from N30 and then used Mp3tag to reload the album art from the songs/albums and copy them to back onto N30 but this makes no difference.

I have never had any problems getting the same album art to show on my LPGT Ti.

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #2,117 of 2,988
Is it official info that tubes take 30-40 min to heat up? I never had other device with nano tubes so I’m just curious. I have bunch of guitar tube amps and they take few min tops to warm up.
Traditional tubes take minutes, NuTube is a different beast and takes seconds, the reason Cayin has a timer when you switch from solid state to NuTube.

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #2,118 of 2,988
Has anyone been having problems getting album art to show in Cayin Music and HiBy Music?

I have lots of AAC & ALAC albums that won't show album art. Some albums show the album art but then don't show the art on some tracks within in that album.

I have deleted these offending songs/albums from N30 and then used Mp3tag to reload the album art from the songs/albums and copy them to back onto N30 but this makes no difference.

I have never had any problems getting the same album art to show on my LPGT Ti.
I never use Cayin or Hiby player but UAPP

give it a try because i never had issues with UAPP displaying album art. It has also a better GUI and album art display than the former mentioned players. It has also Tidal and Qobuz integration.

Proton Player would be my second choice, but only for tech savvy people. It is like a striped down Roon player with upsampling and DSP

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #2,119 of 2,988
Started listening 10 minute ago, have a note for Cayin.

I am on latest software update (1.3). The player is in most 'tame' mode: SS, Low Gain, Class AB, Power mode P.
Streaming apps used for test: SoundCloud, Spotify.

SQ Check (using FIR VxV, stock cable 4.4mm and FIR Spider Copper cable 4.4mm)
Low level ‘warbling’ noise, sounds like I’m listening to the electrical currents (not a hiss). This is evident when the track fades out to silence or has quiet passages in the track. When pausing a track, this noise can be heard for a few seconds until the circuitry disengages. When playing music at louder volumes, this 'current noise' is masked (but rears ugly head when the song gets to a quieter point). This is distracting. @Andykong please check with engineers about this and address this. Haven't come across this with any other DAP.

Thanks
Went through my entire iem collection, can confirm this issue reproducible throughout burn in period but is only evidence in CLASS AB mode. Class A works perfectly. Granted it may seem minor, but given the flagship status of this player, I would like to see it addressed.

Set the player at Volume Level 5, 4.4mm output, Lo Gain. Switch between Class A and Class AB to see if you can hear it.

Further Specification of the Warbling Issue:
Very noticeable: Class AB, P Mode, SS or Tube (both Modern/Classic)
Somewhat noticeable: Class AB, P+ Mode, SS or Tube (both Modern/Classic)
Not noticeable: Class A mode or Hyper Mode.

Haven't encountered any other issues so far.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #2,120 of 2,988
I never use Cayin or Hiby player but UAPP

give it a try because i never had issues with UAPP displaying album art. It has also a better GUI and album art display than the former mentioned players. It has also Tidal and Qobuz integration.

Proton Player would be my second choice, but only for tech savvy people. It is like a striped down Roon player with upsampling and DSP
I hear you and appreciate the info. I would be interested in trying the UAPP sometime but surely there shouldn't be any issues getting album art to work without issues on the included music players...

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #2,121 of 2,988
Went through my entire iem collection, can confirm this issue reproducible throughout burn in period but is only evidence in CLASS AB mode. Class A works perfectly. Granted it may seem minor, but given the flagship status of this player, I would like to see it addressed.

Further Specification of the Warbling Issue:
Very noticeable: Class AB, P Mode, SS or Tube (both Modern/Classic)
Somewhat noticeable: Class AB, P+ Mode, SS or Tube (both Modern/Classic)
Not noticeable: Class A mode or Hyper Mode.

Haven't encountered any other issues so far.
I was trying to replicate your warbling issues, but my unit (N30 standard non biassed version) is dead silent. No warbling audible.

Tried with very sensitive IEM: FIR RN6 + Fusion1 cable

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,122 of 2,988
I was trying to replicate your warbling issues, but my unit (N30 standard non biassed version) is dead silent. No warbling audible.

Tried with very sensitive IEM: FIR RN6 + Fusion1 cable
Interesting, thanks for trying it out! There was another user that could replicate it, but it was faintly audible for him (but occurred on all circuit modes for his unit afaik). For my unit, it seems to be only affect Class AB mode. I'm curious on the consistency of this issue throughout the units.

Luckily, I can temporarily 'bypass' this issue by using the unit exclusively in Class A mode. I've yet to try the medium/high gain settings, this player is so powerful, I haven't found the need to leave low gain mode yet.

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #2,123 of 2,988
Interesting, thanks for trying it out! There was another user that could replicate it, but it was faintly audible for him (but occurred on all circuit modes for his unit afaik). For my unit, it seems to be only affect Class AB mode. I'm curious on the consistency of this issue throughout the units.

Luckily, I can temporarily 'bypass' this issue by using the unit exclusively in Class A mode. I've yet to try the medium/high gain settings, this player is so powerful, I haven't found the need to leave low gain mode yet.

Give the DAP some more burn-in time. I am certain the issue goes away.

So happened to my DAP because i was affected by the hissing issue, but after 400hrs of play time, the hiss was gone.

Burn-in time takes longer than 50 hrs. I was on a rollercoaster ride the first 200hrs. Maybe also because of the inconsistent FW updates who ruined the experience.

I tried all firmwares so far. The best is 1.2.
1.3 is castrated on power input into the amp section IMO, they lowered the voltage. Therefore P Mode on 1.3 sounds lifeless.

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #2,124 of 2,988

My unit is dead silent. Very close to SP3k which imho has blackest background. One thing about N30 . It does amplify good stuff as well as flaws. Mediocre or bad recordings hard to listen with N30 . Same goes to issues with gear. SP3K more forgiving in that regard imho. I have UM Mest 2 where left ear has one bad driver. It’s not very noticeable with AK while N30 makes it way more pronounced. Same thing happens with one of my old 65 audio stock cable . It’s a little microphonic and N30 makes it unusable. On other hand, high quality track plus great gear = absolute tonal heaves.
To be clear. I am not saying your gear is the problem. Just something to consider.

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #2,125 of 2,988
My unit is dead silent. Very close to SP3k which imho has blackest background. One thing about N30 . It does amplify good stuff as well as flaws. Mediocre or bad recordings hard to listen with N30 . Same goes to issues with gear. SP3K more forgiving in that regard imho. I have UM Mest 2 where left ear has one bad driver. It’s not very noticeable with AK while N30 makes it way more pronounced. Same thing happens with one of my old 65 audio stock cable . It’s a little microphonic and N30 makes it unusable. On other hand, high quality track plus great gear = absolute tonal heaves.
To be clear. I am not saying your gear is the problem. Just something to consider.
Agree, with my N30, I had to remove some track from my playlists because their so-so quality made then unlistenable while with my A&K SP1000 I did not noticed their flaws...

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #2,126 of 2,988
Yep, as a veteran of the hobby I am very familiar with the concept of higher end gear amplifying the good and bad. My reference gear is DMP Z1 and Chord Hugo 2. My CIEMs range from UM Fusang (Eletech Aeneid), XE6 (Code 51 Final Edition), Aroma Jewel (Eletech Ode to Laura) to more humble ones like Elysian DIVA (Liquid Links Martini) and UM Indigo (Eletech Victoria).

My reference tracks range from Spotify electronic to lossless recording classical (DECCA/Sony Classical) on Qobuz which I'm very familiar with.

However this warbling issue is not dependent on audio track quality or transducer/cable quality as it occurs regardless. I certainly wouldn't place N30LE close to SP3K regarding black background, my Campfire Trifecta provides a great indicator of this. Dead silent on SP3K (when I had it), however there's background noise on N30LE.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #2,127 of 2,988
Pretty sure it's on all units
Play low gain with a fairly sensitive IEM in P mode, Class AB low gain and pause a track.
The actual warbling is very very silent so some ears might not even hear it.
What is audible though is a silent pop after around 3 seconds, the same pop which you hear if there's a sample rate change from e.g Red Book to 96khz or MQA.
That noise is present also on N7 and I think it's there by design as some sampling change occurs.
In case of track pause I think there's a power saving process engaged which might induce that silent pop

PS: I think I've heard that pop during sample rate changes even on RS6 with a sensitive IEM like A&K Pathfinder, need to check my notes.
So it's not related to N30LE alone but seems to belong to a design for many DAPs. The warbling in all honesty I am not sure as it's so silent that I might not have recognized it if @bigbeans didn't mention it

Here we go with RS6😉
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...s-mqa-16x-copper-chassis.958878/post-17092497

As far as I remember it was far worse at that time on RS6 and more silent on N30LE but volume of pop could be strongly related to IEM sensivity.
I remember with Odin it was far less audible on RS6 than with Pathfinder
I can live with it

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #2,128 of 2,988
Pretty sure it's on all units
Play low gain with a fairly sensitive IEM in P mode, Class AB low gain and pause a track.
The actual warbling is very very silent so some ears might not even hear it.
What is audible though is a silent pop after around 3 seconds, the same pop which you hear if there's a sample rate change from e.g Red Book to 96khz or MQA.
That noise is present also on N7 and I think it's there by design as some sampling change occurs.
In case of track pause I think there's a power saving process engaged which might induce that silent pop

PS: I think I've heard that pop during sample rate changes even on RS6 with a sensitive IEM like A&K Pathfinder, need to check my notes.
So it's not related to N30LE alone but seems to belong to a design for many DAPs. The warbling in all honesty I am not sure as it's so silent that I might not have recognized it if @bigbeans didn't mention it

Here we go with RS6😉
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-rs6-android-dap-snapdragon-660-4-64gb-5”-full-hd-darwin-r2r-fir-nos-mqa-16x-copper-chassis.958878/post-17092497

As far as I remember it was far worse at that time on RS6 and more silent on N30LE.
I can live with it
I can hear the pop you describe but there is nothing to worry.

The pop is audible because the amp section shuts down 3 sec after you pause a track.

You can watch the led on the volume wheel. The pop occurs when the led shuts down, meaning the amp section shuts down.

it is totally normal.

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #2,129 of 2,988
I can hear the pop you describe but there is nothing to worry.

The pop is audible because the amp section shuts down 3 sec after you pause a track.

You can watch the led on the volume wheel. The pop occurs when the led shuts down, meaning the amp section shuts down.

it is totally normal.
Yes, in comparison to that noise the warbling is hardly audible just as a reference point.
In terms of reference blackness for undesired noises like hissing I think no DAP which at least I have been listening to can match Sp3k and many won't know unless they hear it but I find N30LE amongst the more silent ones of the competition.
N7 is far more prone to hissing and something like my Ifi Go Bar is worst unless IEMatch is enabled

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #2,130 of 2,988
Yep, as a veteran of the hobby I am very familiar with the concept of higher end gear amplifying the good and bad. My reference gear is DMP Z1 and Chord Hugo 2. My CIEMs range from UM Fusang (Eletech Aeneid), XE6 (Code 51 Final Edition), Aroma Jewel (Eletech Ode to Laura) to more humble ones like Elysian DIVA (Liquid Links Martini) and UM Indigo (Eletech Victoria).

My reference tracks range from Spotify electronic to lossless recording classical (DECCA/Sony Classical) on Qobuz which I'm very familiar with.

However this warbling issue is not dependent on audio track quality or transducer/cable quality as it occurs regardless. I certainly wouldn't place N30LE close to SP3K regarding black background, my Campfire Trifecta provides a great indicator of this. Dead silent on SP3K (when I had it), however there's background noise on N30LE.
I hear you. Probably my IEMs combined with my hearing reduction lol. Also I’m only listening music for fun and it’s just never noticed any noise. I do agree that my SP3k is hair more quiet but it’s subtile difference in regular use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back