Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Sep 22, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #1,261 of 2,935
Don't want to add fuel to the fire, especially since I'm not a consumer but rather a reviewer who borrowed N30LE for a very short period of time from Musicteck (don't have it with me anymore but miss it like crazy already). The demo unit I auditioned had no issues, or maybe all the iems/headphones/cable combos I tried were not susceptible to the problem some others are having. But based on what I'm reading in this thread and the updates posted by Andy, I'm not so sure if this is really an overall QC issue or the issue related to a unique design/setting of the bias current which triggers a problem in combination with a specific phone/cable? A few people mentioned failures which could be related to QC where it fails with everything, but others seem to bring up a specific combo.

Either way, it is not an excuse for manufacturer but rather a good lesson to expand their test equipment with a better variety of earphones, headphones, and cables so they can catch any similar problem in the future during the development stage.

Btw, I did collect notes during my short time with N30LE and would like to share it soon, though, I'm also afraid of being jabbed with pitchforks since I have only a positive experience with the unit I auditioned... Plus, I noticed that even those who are having issues are not screaming for a refund because they love the sound and the pair up synergy too much. And that also speaks highly of the product despite their negative experience.
Please share your notes! Despite all the hiccups I think everyone agrees that the performance of this DAP and its musicality is something outstanding.

Sep 22, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #1,262 of 2,935
This is odd, and I feel uncomfortable with the repeated instances of similar problems. I'll alert our Sales Manager and ask him to get in touch with Hifonix.
Tagging @Andykong for reference

Replacement unit arrived (thanks to Andy and Hifonix).

The new unit is also faulty - the same static noise issues as with the first unit which I returned.

Prevalent low-level static noise, mostly audible when music starts or stops but over the music as well, right from power-on, in the right channel, only in Class A and Hyper modes and via both 3.5mm and 4.4mm connection.

Will make a decision this weekend if to return the unit for a refund as not expecting these type of issues at this price point or to return for a fix that Andy mentioned in one of his previous posts.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #1,263 of 2,935
For those that are thinking about connecting their N30LE as a USB DAC/amp to one of the new iPhone 15 series, I got mine this morning and gave it a try (15 Pro Max, in case it makes any difference):

The short version is that, with some USB-C cable-dependency - which only seems to affect iPhone and iPad, it works fine. ALL of the below cables, when used with an M2 MacBook Air, M2 MacBook Pro, M2 Mac Studio or M1 Mac Studio will put the N30LE into USB DAC mode, and behave as expected.

The story is different with iPhone 15 Pro Max and M2 iPad Pro 11":
  • Cayin Supplied USB-C Cable: Yes
  • Apple Thunderbolt Cable: Yes
  • Apple USB-C Charging Cable (2M): Yes
  • Apple Braided USB-C Cable (1M) (as inc. w/ iPhone, AirPods Pro 2, etc.): No
  • L&P W4 USB-C Cable: No
Will try other cables as I get a chance.

---

For reference, ALL of those cables work with the iPhone 15 Pro Max and M2 iPad Pro and the L&P W4. Which makes me think the N30LE or iPhone is looking for some pin/setting that the W4 doesn't care about.

The new unit is also faulty - the same hissing issue others have reported and the issues with the first unit which I returned.

Prevalent low-level hiss, mostly audible when music starts or stops but over the music as well, right from power-on, mostly in the right channel, only in Class A and Hyper modes and via both 3.5mm and 4.4mm connection.

Will make a decision this weekend if to return the unit for a refund as not expecting these type of issues at this price point or to return for a fix that Andy mentioned in one of his previous posts.
Is this a replacement unit from existing stock, or is it a replacement unit whose bias was ajdusted

Sep 22, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #1,264 of 2,935
Too lazy to take a prettier pic but some Ti love 😊

IMG_6413.jpeg

Sep 22, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #1,265 of 2,935
Sep 22, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #1,266 of 2,935
How's Fusion 1? I'm slightly tempted 🤭

I haven’t spent a lot of time with it yet but it’s more transparent and revealing than I was expecting so that caught me off guard. I do quite like it though! It sounds well with GM, maybe not what I would have thought would maximize synergy but I am happy with it. It’s comfortable and free of microphonics but it’s a little heavy so I need time to decide if that’s okay in the long run.

Sep 22, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #1,267 of 2,935
I haven’t spent a lot of time with it yet but it’s more transparent and revealing than I was expecting so that caught me off guard. I do quite like it though! It sounds well with GM, maybe not what I would have thought would maximize synergy but I am happy with it. It’s comfortable and free of microphonics but it’s a little heavy so I need time to decide if that’s okay in the long run.

Appreciate the initial impression! Last thing I need is another cable and eying GM instead. Thank you my friend.

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #1,270 of 2,935

The new unit is also faulty - the same hissing issue others have reported and the issues with the first unit which I returned.

Prevalent low-level hiss, mostly audible when music starts or stops but over the music as well, right from power-on, mostly in the right channel, only in Class A and Hyper modes and via both 3.5mm and 4.4mm connection.

What IEM and cable are you using? Maybe someone here have it and can check it too with their unit? It'll be better if we can provide info as much as possible for Andy and the team

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #1,271 of 2,935
The scenes when this one has issues too 🫢😂😜

Probably won't be me making them ... I'll just report any issues ...

Obviously that would be bad ...

The two units I've had so far have had different issues, though. The first was definitely differently faulty with major hiss, and minor static, on all outputs/modes and connections and only occurring over 100F, as opposed to just needing to be re-biased (which has 100% consistent behavior, and for me only with one of my IEMs).

Fingers crossed neither issue exists on the new one, and nothing else happens either ...

Not sure what I'll do if unit 3 is "bad"; I suppose that'll depend on what issue(s) it has - if any. Cross that bridge if/when I come to it.

Sep 23, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #1,272 of 2,935
Is this a replacement unit from existing stock, or is it a replacement unit whose bias was ajajdusted
I believe the second unit was from existing stock.

If you would like to check your unit I find these track usefull:

Silence - 5 min by Brett Black

For me the hiss stops when I switch to solid state.

What IEM and cable are you using? Maybe someone here have it and can check it too with their unit? It'll be better if we can provide info as much as possible for Andy and the team
Sony IER-Z1R with stock 3.5mm and 4.4mm cables
Hifiman Edition XS with stock 3.5mm cable
Tinhifi P1 Plus with stock 3.5mm cable

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #1,273 of 2,935
I like to start a poll for future reference with IEMs, HP and cables which produces hiss on N30.

No hiss:
Hifiman Arya Stealth > Cardas > 4,4mm
Focal Utopia OG > Forza Noir Hybrid HPC > 4,4mm
Fir RN6 > stock cable & Effect Audio Fusion1 > 4,4mm

Hiss:
Fiio FH9 > stock cable > 4,4mm

Feel free to contribute!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #1,274 of 2,935
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back