Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Sep 14, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #826 of 2,988
As of now, the noise has reduced to just a low-level "static" like noise (previously it was an um-missable hiss and static in the left channel that was clearly audible even over music playing at normal levels) and can only be heard during quiet passages or the fade-out at the end of a song, or if you stop playback (and if you stop playback it is only audible for the few seconds until the amplifier "turns off").

It is now only in the right channel.
@Andykong

Just got my unit and getting the same issues as described above. Low-level static noise in the right channel with tube mode enabled. Also very noticeable at the start of the songs and a few seconds at the end before tube amp switches off.

Have contacted Hifonix as I also feel this needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #827 of 2,988
Well that's true of the "regular" N30 LE as well, one thing that struck me along this crazy sleepless night taking it all in : I couldn't say it better the piano to forte and forte to piano is so fast and it makes for a very engaging and spectacular presentation.

As I go through my collection, this is something I have begun to notice as well. More organic IEMs I own like JH Sharona have too much midbass for my taste but it's usually something that gets better with burn in. Some other gear don't suffer from this, namely DCA Stealth and FiR RN6 but also Vision Ears Elysium so I guess synergy comes into play as well.
Whenever you get a chance, can you please try ItsFit Lab Fusion with N30LE? It is the most under-appreciated iem in the audiophile world.

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #828 of 2,988
Hi @Andykong Received my Pearl. So far incredible. I don't want to jinx it...breathtaking even.

I can't find a PDF manual online...but can you please advice for the Pearl IEM...what gain, power mode, and amp type is acceptable? Also Hyper is for full size headphones? Not IEMs I gather?

Apologies for the obvious questions...just don't want to risk damaging the Pearl IEM or any others.

Thank you!

I don't think there is one particular gain/power mode/amp type setting that is considered THE RIGHT CHOICE for N30LE+Amber Pearl, if that's what we are aiming at, that means the combo is tuned to a particular preference or even a specific music genre. That is far too narrow-minded.

Hyper mode is NOT for full-size headphones only. It works beautifully with IEMs as well, and you can definitely use Hyper Mode on your N30LE to drive the Amber Pearl IEM. Full-size headphones will benefit from hyper mode, but logically that is totally different from Hyper mode is not recommended for IEMs. We cannot reserve the logic just like that.

For the record, Hyper Mode is still nowhere as powerful as our C9 portable amplifier. C9 is rated at 2600mW @32 ohm and Cayin designed this high-power headphone amplifier for the premium IEM market. So far a lot of users enjoy C9 with all sorts of IEMs, and we didn't receive any feedback or report saying their IEM are damaged because the C9 is too powerful. For more detail on the benefit of using high power amplifier with IEM, please check HERE.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 14, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #829 of 2,988
@Andykong

Just got my unit and getting the same issues as described above. Low-level static noise in the right channel with tube mode enabled. Also very noticeable at the start of the songs and a few seconds at the end before tube amp switches off.

Have contacted Hifonix as I also feel this needs to be fixed.

This is odd, and I feel uncomfortable with the repeated instances of similar problems. I'll alert our Sales Manager and ask him to get in touch with Hifonix.

Sep 14, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #830 of 2,988
Will the N30LE be available at Canjam Darmstadt @Andykong ?
MusicTeck has signed up for CanJam SoCal 2023, Andrew will host a demo for Cayin at to the best of my knowledge, we'll have a standard N30LE and a set of N30LE Amber Peral combo (with IEM) for this event. This is the N30LE Amber Pearl DAP+IEM combo exhibited for the first time outside of China. I am looking forward tot he impression from Canjam SoCal.

Sep 14, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #831 of 2,988
I don't think there is one particular gain/power mode/amp type setting that is considered THE RIGHT CHOICE for N30LE+Amber Pearl, if that's what we are aiming at, that means the combo is tuned to a particular preference or even a specific music genre. That is far too narrow-minded.

Hyper mode is NOT for full-size headphones only. It works beautifully with IEMs as well, and you can definitely use Hyper Mode on your N30LE to drive the Amber Pearl IEM. Full-size headphones will benefit from hyper mode, but logically that is totally different from Hyper mode is not recommended for IEMs. We cannot reserve the logic just like that.

For the record, Hyper Mode is still nowhere as powerful as our C9 portable amplifier. C9 is rated at 2600mW @32 ohm and Cayin designed this high-power headphone amplifier for the premium IEM market. So far a lot of users enjoy C9 with all sorts of IEMs, and we didn't receive any feedback or report saying their IEM are damaged because the C9 is too powerful. For more detail on the benefit of using high power amplifier with IEM, please check HERE.
Thank you so much @Andykong Very helpful! Is there a PDF manual for the N30LE Pearl? Or regular?

How do you determine the amount of gain/power mode for your listening on it? Depending on genre / song ? You adjust accordingly to what sounds best? Or is there more best practice?

I'm coming from AK SP2000 and SP3000 that didn't have so many settings on output...Thank you!

Sep 14, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #832 of 2,988
You use what sounds best to you. Some prefer to listen on low gain with their iems, some on high gain. It all comes down to what you think suits the music.

Sep 14, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #834 of 2,988
MusicTeck has signed up for CanJam SoCal 2023, Andrew will host a demo for Cayin at to the best of my knowledge, we'll have a standard N30LE and a set of N30LE Amber Peral combo (with IEM) for this event. This is the N30LE Amber Pearl DAP+IEM combo exhibited for the first time outside of China. I am looking forward tot he impression from Canjam SoCal.
This is great but I was asking about Canjam Europe in Darmstadt.

It might be that this is a hifi Event not related to head-fi and just sharing the name.

It's 7.10.23 - 8.10.23 (roughly in 3 weeks very shortly after Canjam SoCal)

Sep 14, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #835 of 2,988
@Andykong Hi Andy - from the slide down top menu, I can select P or P+ and then change the amp mode A to AB and vice versa. In the settings menu, it blocks me to change to Class A amp, when P+ is on. "ZOom mode can only be AB when in P+" But from the slide down menu....I can change, but I don't think it does anything. Bug ?

Sep 14, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #836 of 2,988
When switching Amp mode from AB to A, don't notice much of a difference....can anyone confirm if they do? On the Cayin C9 AB to A is very noticeable...is why I ask. Thank you!
Yeah, I noticed the same thing, so I've been using AB just to extend the battery life. @Andykong, BTW, N30 has been working great, but the battery charge % limiter is not working. I set to 85% and it charges to 98%. Maybe it's the meter reading? Anyway, not a deal breaker, but still a nuisance.

Sep 14, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #837 of 2,988
I received my N30LE #074 yesterday evening, thanks to @MusicTeck and Cayin crew and @Andykong ....this DAP came out of the womb punching!, first impressions is absolutely amazing, I can Never be the Same Again! I started listening in the default Solid state mode then later switched to Tube for a bit and hard to reluctantly go to bed at 2:15am! The power, detail extension a lifelike full presentation capturing all the nuances, dynamics and expressions and intentions of the performers is uncanny, even the aural decay of each note. I am surprised by those who comment that N30LE is very musical but not reference!!!! What is reference if not the actual studio or concert hall performance 🤔
The N30LE got me so close to that than any other playback system I have ever heard
So I declare the N30LE as the current absolute reference, the extreme detail it retrieves is used to reconstruct the original event as closely as possible. Such that you focus completely on the pleasure of music not hifi artifacts.
For now I am using my Hifiman HE1000SE
Which the N30LE drives so effortlessly
Those of you on the sideline remember there are only 300 worldwide. More later when I try it with my Shangri-la Jr electrostat System. Quick point, the Tube mode at least for now seems to even be more detailed and nuanced than the solid state...just a bit. Will know more when I have gone beyond 2hours burn-in

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #838 of 2,988
@Andykong Hi Andy - from the slide down top menu, I can select P or P+ and then change the amp mode A to AB and vice versa. In the settings menu, it blocks me to change to Class A amp, when P+ is on. "ZOom mode can only be AB when in P+" But from the slide down menu....I can change, but I don't think it does anything. Bug ?

Have you updated to the latest firmware? I haven't experienced issues in switching between A and AB in P+ from slide down.

Sorry I read over "In the settings menu". Can confirm this bug also.

IMG_2797.png

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #839 of 2,988

Just confirmed this issue is present on mine too, looks like another FW update is needed! I never noticed this prior as I always use the drop down menu.

Have you updated to the latest firmware? I haven't experienced issues in switching between A and AB in P+

IMG_2797.png

it works fine through the drop down menu, go into the settings of the DAP and try it. It will give you an error message.

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #840 of 2,988
Switching things up for Thursday with Meze Elites. Hyper + H gain is leading favorite with 30min in. Jotting notes during the work day.

IMG_2796.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back