Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Sep 15, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #857 of 2,940
Hmm so OTA offered me to upgrade the firmware and I had a failed upgraded (nothing bricked, I followed instructions to the T).
I relaunched the upgrade seems stuck at 19% now... definitely something wrong.
Ok it failed again but it's still running previous firmware.

I am not doing that upgrade right now.

@Andykong should I consider doing a local upgrade ?
This makes me a bit nervous...

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #858 of 2,940
The P/P+ mode will offer a more noticeable difference when compared to Class A/Class AB.
Personally, I find the ABA test works better when you are comparing changes that are heavily FR-related. For Class A/Class AB, I would suggest you stick with Class A for 2 days and then switch to Class AB for another 2 days, you don't necessarily listen to the same playlist in these few days, but you should sample a wider range of music genres. Pay attention to the overall presentation and emotion rather than frequency response (low or high extension, or output level in different frequency ranges). Pay attention to how you feel about the music content, the emotion of music, and micro vs. macro dynamics.

@fiascogarcia, did you turn off the DAP during charging? The Maximum battery charge limiter is an Android built-in battery management feature, it only works when the Android system is active.
Thanks @Andykong but you know...on the C9...the difference is immediately noticeable. Like both amp types clearly differ. N30LE meant to be different in this implementation?

Sep 15, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #859 of 2,940
P_20230915_161233.jpg

Just arrived but can't try it yet. Out of the box when powered on only 3% battery remaining 😂
The case is too tight for me. When I put on the case, it automatically turn on the DAP.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #860 of 2,940
I own SP2000, SP2000T, and SP3000. SP3000 is better than any of its predecessors. The SS version I have is a little bright/edgy for me, but I like it anyway.

For the love of god can you use more punctuation? This is very hard to parse. SP2k was not warmer, it just lacked good treble. There’s a difference. SP3k is very well balanced to neutral with excellent treble detail.

It’s imperative with most transducers, really…

I have SP3k. I have N30LE. N30LE is just as detailed as SP3k, SP3k has a slightly darker background (this is typical for A&K, this is their shtick). N30LE beats SP3k into the ground in terms of dynamics, even in solid state mode. Staging and imaging are superior on N30LE. SP3k is much more “reference” in sound signature, but where’s the fun in that?

AK4499EX is just AK4499EQ split into separate digital and analog chips. AK4499EX loses some performance (nothing that can be heard) in exchange for better D/S conversion and more flexibility for integrators. But sound-wise realistically they’re nearly identical in sound signature and quality.

The reason you don’t hear a lot of equipment using AK4499EQ well is the chip was available for like 6-12 months, then GONE. All the work to get the chip sounding great went into AK4499EX devices once it was launched. Only now are we seeing LIMITED EDITION gear that uses years of prep for the chip for small batch runs that use the original EQ chip, and it’s because these companies need to dump the chips they bought.
Thank you for your detailed answer,now I hope I will get the chance to listen to N30 in person!

Sep 15, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #861 of 2,940
As I have said I think 3k sounds excellent too and I agree that the past 4499EQ implementations are worse overall than the 3k. I am just saying that subjectively speaking I feel more emotinally connected with the midrange from the 2k, and this is also the case for the N30LE, but this time with technicalities on par/being better as well.

Nevertheless, I do think that N30LE and 3k do not necessarily overlap - I would keep the 3k for a more reference, accruate and detailed sound, particularly the SS versions. And as others have said if you are aiming for a musical and engaging signature, the N30LE is hard to beat at this point (especially since 3k sounds much more neutral, and to some, less engaging).

And really if the 3k is perfect for you, then there is nothing to worry about. Same way as how I think the Phonix LE is perfect for my tastes. I won't think about how to "replace" it with something better. Just sit back and enjoy, and perhaps find other things that complement the perfect DAP/IEM in your books so you can freshen your music impressions from time to time.
Thank you for your answer, I do love 3k and especially with Utopias I found it a perfect synergy , I also have Meze Elite a 2023 model which I found much better then the older ones, as the older ones and Empyrean lack clarity, in a way a bit of Sennheiser veil like :)
strangely enough that veil is less when pairing hd800s to an strong Lamp Amp like the Va One from Quad .. and the sound is big and very analog just not as perfect and detailed as with 3k
but Elite and 3k do sound Also very warm and pleasent and the new Elite are not so muddy as the older ones..
nevertheless N30 sounds very interesting I am very curious now

Sep 15, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #862 of 2,940
and the new Elite are not so muddy as the older ones..
There never was any change in the Elites apart from new ones coming with angled Alcantara instead of the legacy Alcantara pads.

The headphones are identical and any muddyness must come from your imagination

Sep 15, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #863 of 2,940
There never was any change in the Elites apart from new ones coming with angled Alcantara instead of the legacy Alcantara pads.

Believe me I am a musician and hear better then most people, not only I am able to put 4 Melodie’s played on the same time on paper but I also did a test of hearing and i got exceptional results so i know what I hear especially that most of the times I go listen to any gear is after orchestra rehearsals and compare the sound with class orchestra music espe because if their complexion instruments timber so believe me I know what I hear.. I got the pair from Munich expo directly from them and this pair had a bit of changes, I am not the only one that complained about their unclear sound during the years and discussed about this Meze and their engineers in person..
Afree that they let me listen to this version which is a bit different.. not perfectly clear but better

Sep 15, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #864 of 2,940

Earpad angle can have a dramatic difference on the clarity of a headphone. Any change in the angle of attack also changes the proportion of energy that enters your ear canal directly, vs entering after reflection or diffusion.

Sep 15, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #865 of 2,940
Earpad angle can have a dramatic difference on the clarity of a headphone. Any change in the angle of attack also changes the proportion of energy that enters your ear canal directly, vs entering after reflection or diffusion.
Yeah, is not the ear pads, they tuned them a bit differently, told me themselves, and I could hear the difference.

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #866 of 2,940
Yeah, is not the ear pads, they tuned them a bit differently, told me themselves, and I could hear the difference.
For me the bass was always sloppy and the lack of clarity you mention...Why do you like them even with the minor improvements? I wanted to LOVE the Elites. They are gorgeous and so comfortable. But the lack of resolution...felt like they missed the mark still. What about them still pulls you in? It's funny timing btw...I was just thinking whether I should try buying Elites again to give them a chance, as I am opening my flavors beyond just the Utopia sound. Thanks for your commentary!

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #869 of 2,940
Believe me I am a musician and hear better then most people, not only I am able to put 4 Melodie’s played on the same time on paper but I also did a test of hearing and i got exceptional results so i know what I hear especially that most of the times I go listen to any gear is after orchestra rehearsals and compare the sound with class orchestra music espe because if their complexion instruments timber so believe me I know what I hear.. I got the pair from Munich expo directly from them and this pair had a bit of changes, I am not the only one that complained about their unclear sound during the years and discussed about this Meze and their engineers in person..
Afree that they let me listen to this version which is a bit different.. not perfectly clear but better
I do not believe you.
The Elites released in 2021 and those produced in 2023 are identical apart from their pads.

Some unit variation obviously occurs like with every single headphone, but there is no "old" and "new" version with different clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back