Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Sep 20, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #1,216 of 2,940
Drop a like on this if you want @Andykong to convince Cayin to produce a C9ii that utilize the epic new amplification circuit from the N30LE. Holy smokes is this thing hot, and if we could get a few more watts output? Wooooowwweeee!

Welp, guess I’m gonna get both Raven and MM. Oops :)
This is what I want as well and I hope it will be the next line of succession for Cayin.

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #1,217 of 2,940
@Andykong

Just experienced the distortion/10x slower track sound issue.

I paused the track, left the device for about 30 minutes. Came back, unpaused the track and it occurred.

After switching to the next track, the issue resolved itself.

The track is a downloaded track from Tidal, so it doesn’t seem to just be occurring with streamed tracks.

The track details:
Pacify Her by Melanie Martinez
MQA, 88.2K

I have attached a video, I recorded the sound output from the Amber Pearls. What you hear in the video is exactly what I’m hearing when this occurs it’s extremely strange.

Update:
Just happened again, however changing the tracks or unplugging the cable does not solve the problem this time. Switching to Solid State from tube solved the problem. Then switching back to tube, I did not experience the issue anymore

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #1,218 of 2,940
This
@Andykong

Just experienced the distortion/10x slower track sound issue.

I paused the track, left the device for about 30 minutes. Came back, unpaused the track and it occurred.

After switching to the next track, the issue resolved itself.

The track is a downloaded track from Tidal, so it doesn’t seem to just be occurring with streamed tracks.

The track details:
Pacify Her by Melanie Martinez
MQA, 88.2K

I have attached a video, I recorded the sound output from the Amber Pearls. What you hear in the video is exactly what I’m hearing when this occurs it’s extremely strange.

Update:
Just happened again, however changing the tracks or unplugging the cable does not solve the problem this time. Switching to Solid State from tube solved the problem. Then switching back to tube, I did not experience the issue anymore

This is very helpful, we only have very scattered reports on this bug, and we believe the oscillator is out of sync but we cannot identify the event that triggered the problem, we'll give the Engineer some time to dig out the event that trigger this bug, this is very likely something that can be reset by software, and therefore rectified through firmware.

I'll pass your video and playback information to our Engineer. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #1,219 of 2,940
Thanks @Andykong

Also, here is another issue I found:

I listened to 6 songs on Tidal (all from MicroSD downloaded from Tidal), and during the 7th song about 30 seconds into the track Tidal crashes.

It's reproducible everytime I reopen the Tidal app and try to play the song again. After a few times of the same exact event occurring Android popped up with the following message (see attached).

The song is:
Team by Lorde
192kHz
FLAC
Tidal track stored on MicroSD (Micron 1TB)

After this occurs, if I go to the Lock Screen, Tidal shows that a song is playing when it is not. See attached photo.

I’ve also attached a video of what happens

Update: It seems to occur everytime I play this track. Maybe it has something to do with an issue with 192kHz tracks? Can anyone else try to play this track and report back? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1320.jpeg
    IMG_1320.jpeg
    656.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1324.jpeg
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    953.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #1,220 of 2,940
Thanks @Andykong

Also, here is another issue I found:

I listened to 6 songs on Tidal (all from MicroSD downloaded from Tidal), and during the 7th song about 30 seconds into the track Tidal crashes.

It's reproducible everytime I reopen the Tidal app and try to play the song again. After a few times of the same exact event occurring Android popped up with the following message (see attached).

The song is:
Team by Lorde
192kHz
FLAC
Tidal track stored on MicroSD (Micron 1TB)

After this occurs, if I go to the Lock Screen, Tidal shows that a song is playing when it is not. See attached photo.

I’ve also attached a video of what happens

Update: It seems to occur everytime I play this track. Maybe it has something to do with an issue with 192kHz tracks? Can anyone else try to play this track and report back? Thanks!

This track works fine for me through every app i have (Qobuz, Tidal, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Spotify) at every resolution available. I have not downloaded it for “offline” play though. Maybe that’s part of the issue? Have you tried streaming it instead?

Sep 21, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #1,221 of 2,940
This track works fine for me through every app i have (Qobuz, Tidal, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Spotify) at every resolution available. I have not downloaded it for “offline” play though. Maybe that’s part of the issue? Have you tried streaming it instead?
Tidal is still causing a lot of pain after migrating from MQA to MAX, we have a hard time to sort things out, especially when you switch from MQA to FLAC and vice versa.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 21, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #1,222 of 2,940
What is going to happen to any as yet unsold units that are still with retailers? I think most of the 300 are already sold, but it looks like Hifonix in the UK still has one for sale. Will Cayin recall this unit? If it is left for sale then the new owner could potentially have all these problems to look forward to. I’m sure Cayin will put all of this right and fix the issues, but the above query is of interest to me.

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #1,223 of 2,940
What is going to happen to any as yet unsold units that are still with retailers? I think most of the 300 are already sold, but it looks like Hifonix in the UK still has one for sale. Will Cayin recall this unit? If it is left for sale then the new owner could potentially have all these problems to look forward to. I’m sure Cayin will put all of this right and fix the issues, but the above query is of interest to me.
Maybe Cayin can recall some units and give one of them to the german distributor where the N30LE is sold out

Sep 21, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #1,224 of 2,940
Here’s another example of the Distortion/10x slower track playback issue.

Was listening to a song on Apple Music, then paused it to go do something. Returned 30 minutes later and resumed the track. This distortion/slow playback issue occurs. This seems to be the trigger for it. Whenever you pause a track, wait for a bit, and start it up again this issue occurs.

This was through Apple Music so it’s not just isolated to Tidal.

Track info is in the video.

N30LE AP is in line out mode connected to a Cayin C9 which is powering an Abyss Diana TC. Interconnect is a DHC Prion4 Interconnect (4.4mm) and HP Cable is DHC Prion4 HP Cable (4.4mm).

Doesn’t seem to be isolated to specific HP or IEM. It happens regardless of the IEM/HP I’m using. Doesn’t matter if it’s line out or not either, still occurs.

On the bright side I can confirm no hissing issue with the Diana TC.

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 21, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #1,226 of 2,940
Just got my N30 Amber Pearl. Initial Listening

It is very precise and detailed but… almost to the point it gave me some light tinitus. I was expecting a more musical/relax listening. At least in « classical tube » mode. I hope the break-in and some tip rolling will solve this. Anyone experienced this ?

Modified : I think that I have listened to it at a higher level than my usual listening level with my other configurations. It sounded « flatter » at my usual listening level ! Strange isn’t it ?

Anyway it is a positive first listening since I wanted to listen to it just few minutes before going to bed and now… it is 2 am :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_5033.jpeg
    IMG_5033.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #1,227 of 2,940

It is very precise and detailed but… almost to the point it gave me some light tinitus. I was expecting a more musical/relax listening. At least in « classical tube » mode. I hope the break-in and some tip rolling will solve this. Anyone experienced this ?

Modified : I think that I have listened to it at a higher level than my usual listening level with my other configurations. It sounded « flatter » at my usual listening level ! Strange isn’t it ?

Anyway it is a positive first listening since I wanted to listen to it just few minutes before going to bed and now… it is 2 am :wink:
I have the N30LE standard but don't hurry to judgement by the time you get to say 15hours you will be amazed how smooth and relaxed and rich the sound is
This DAP is amazing

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #1,229 of 2,940

On my new MMs I had a similar experience, try EQing -3dB Q 2.7 at 6500hz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back