Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Sep 15, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #901 of 2,940
Kind of agree with you. Usually i am a Cayin Fan (started with their original N5 and C5 and currently running an N8) but a 5000€ product has to be in a better state when it is in the paying customers hands.

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #902 of 2,940
I have mixed thoughts at the moment. Any hardware fault should be replaced 100% no questions asked. These things happen unfortunately. As far as software bugs go, this also happens with just about any firmware on release. I’m sure when apple rolls out iOS 17 next week it’s not going to be 100% perfect and they’ve been in beta stages for months… now if in 2 months my LED light is still spazzing out during charging I’ll probably get pretty annoyed. That would bug me on any dap…

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #904 of 2,940
Can imagine, as I would have had more than just mixed feelings. But I would be surprised if Cayin would assign all its dev resources to fix a device with only 300/400 users.

I don’t think any company does that. I’m sure there will be a small team handling whatever needs to be taken care of. Maybe I’m being naive but I don’t think Cayin is silly enough to let their flagship/limited DAP stay operational with some bugs that seem to be hitting most users. Even though they are minor, I’m very confident they’ll be addressed.

For now… back to listening :) This sound is worth a possessed LED during charging for now. 😅

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #905 of 2,940
Feeling for you all.
I had a fault in USB of my brand new RS8 and got it changed with a new one. Waiting was difficult..
In case of N30LE changing with new units might not be possible because of some parts not being produced anymore, so it depends for example on how many extra DAC chips Cayin has left in hand, among other things. Heard N30LE sold out mostly, so switching with unsold units seems to be a limited option.
That leaves fixing faulty units as the most likely option.. Wishing you patience, hope these aren’t hw problems somehow

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #906 of 2,940
@Andykong

Finally got around to connecting my 109Pro. Tested P / P +, a timbres, then AB to A... waterfall hiss. Enabled Hyper and waterfall hiss becomes more prominent. Only remedy is to switch to AB and dead silent again. This is 109Pro with the upgraded Meze copper and silver UPHCD cables.

Slight "hhhrrrrmmm" as pulled out the Elite suitcase and tested Class AB -> A and Hyper – no waterfall hiss. Tested all 4 miniXLR cables with Elites: Code 23, ET Inferno, Meze UPHCD copper and silver – no waterfall hiss in Hyper or Class A.

Cleaned 109 cable connects and no joy, waterfall hiss in both channels in P/P+ Class A and Hyper :thinking:

Luckily no issues with my FiRs, UMs, VE EXT, ET/EA/PWA cables and Meze Elite. Otherwise slightly bummed but 109Pro in P+ / Class AB / Tube Classic = chef's smooch.

IMG_0429.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #907 of 2,940
@Andykong

Finally got around to connecting my 109Pro. Tested P / P +, a timbres, then AB to A... waterfall hiss. Enabled Hyper and waterfall hiss becomes more prominent. Only remedy is to switch to AB and dead silent again. This is 109Pro with the upgraded Meze copper and silver UPHCD cables.

Slight "hhhrrrrmmm" as pulled out the Elite suitcase and tested Class AB -> A and Hyper – no waterfall hiss. Tested all 4 miniXLR cables with Elites: Code 23, ET Inferno, Meze UPHCD copper and silver – no waterfall hiss in Hyper or Class A.

Cleaned 109 cable connects and no joy, waterfall hiss in A and Hyper with. :thinking:

Luckily no issues with my FiRs, UMs, VE EXT, ET/EA/PWA cables and Meze Elite.

IMG_0429.jpg
I had the same experience with Fiio FH9, switched to FIR RN6 and no hiss.

I would assume the pentaconn jack of certain IEMs in conjunction with N30 is responsible for the hiss.

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #909 of 2,940
@Andykong

Cleaned 109 cable connects and no joy, waterfall hiss in both channels in P/P+ Class A and Hyper :thinking:

Luckily no issues with my FiRs, UMs, VE EXT, ET/EA/PWA cables and Meze Elite. Otherwise slightly bummed but 109Pro in P+ / Class AB / Tube Classic = chef's smooch.

IMG_0429.jpg
My hiss is back this morning, too, and seems to definitely be certain cables. NO other gear has this issue including other Cayin products. This is pretty… unacceptable @Andykong.

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #910 of 2,940
I had the same experience with Fiio FH9, switched to FIR RN6 and no hiss.

I would assume the pentaconn jack of certain IEMs in conjunction with N30 is responsible for the hiss.

Ja, I'm guessing. Despite that both Meze copper UPCHD cables, 3.5 mono and miniXLR, utilize identical jacks. Of course there will be plug variances. Oh wells, Class AB is just what 109Pro's needed.

If Class A and Hyper waterfall was prevalent with my IEMs, I'd already be table flipping. 🤭

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #911 of 2,940
My hiss is back this morning, too, and seems to definitely be certain cables. NO other gear has this issue including other Cayin products. This is pretty… unacceptable @Andykong.
Could this be caused by balanced cable termination? When I was ordering my balanced Opera interconnect from Arctic Cable, he wanted a very clear diagram of the pin-out, he said if not done certain ways some devices will hum or have other issues !!! Just throwing this out there just something else to look out for

Sep 15, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #912 of 2,940
Could this be caused by balanced cable termination? When I was ordering my balanced Opera interconnect from Arctic Cable, he wanted a very clear diagram of the pin-out, he said if not done certain ways some devices will hum or have other issues !!! Just throwing this out there just something else to look out for
Possibly, though this really shouldn’t be the case since typically you don’t use the shield pin on pentaconn when making a headphone cable… since headphones don’t usually use ground at all.

Sep 15, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #914 of 2,940
For those with hiss, is it only happening when the DAP gets warm or is it present regardless of temperature?

Irregardless of temp

Issue seems to be cable termination and any mode with Class A. Class AB is silent with same cable.

Update 1: Tried cleaning the 4.4 - still waterfall hissing in Class A
Update 2: Class A waterfall hiss seems to be a consistent level with the affected cable, doesn't get louder or softer with changes in gain or power mode.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #915 of 2,940
Irregardless of temp

Issue seems to be cable termination and any mode with Class A. Class AB is silent with same cable.

Update 1: Tried cleaning the 4.4 - still waterfall hissing in Class A
Update 2: Class A waterfall hiss seems to be a consistent level with the affected cable, doesn't get louder or softer with changes in gain or power mode.

Gotcha. I can't lie, this def has raised my concerns now. I don't have it present but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be able to tell if my unit is affected or not because I just don't have enough gear to test it. I'll be keeping an eye out for what Cayin has to say. From my viewpoint there's too many people with this issue present for it to be random hardware issues, I wouldn't be surprised if this is on every DAP but most of us just don't have the issue because of the cables we are using.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back