Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Aug 15, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #391 of 2,940
N30LE 1150-1 WB.jpg

Battery and Power Supply Design

This is a long and technical topic, please go through it with patience, you don't have to understand these technical detail in order to appreciate the N30LE DAP, but it is an interesting read for those who enjoy digging deep into their audio equipment.

High-Quality Power supply is the foundation of High Fidelity Audio. This is a statement that experienced audiophiles will recognize from the bottom of their heart. After all, the game of high-fidelity audio is ultimately the transformation of electrical energy into sound waves.

Maybe I can illustrate my point by briefly summarizing the first 10 years of my audiophile journey into three distinctive stages. Stage 1 was all about features and components, I create my own product comparison tables and study the key components, with my science training background, I tried to track down the raw information from suppliers instead of relying on consumer product reviews, and that was a nightmare back in the 90s when the Internet is not as informative as today. Sooner or later, I notice “implementation” matters, so in stage 2, I focused on circuitry and product design. I spend a lot of time drawing up functional diagrams of the HiFi products I owned. This slowly developed into an addiction and I continued to do this today, with every DAP I represented. By that time, I was a full-time project leader in Home Entertainment product development and a part-time reviewer in a local HiFi magazine. These two roles allow me to try out a lot of high-end products that I couldn’t afford and meet with engineers I had worshipped since my early time as an audiophile, and these exposures lead me to Stage 3: Power supply is the foundation of High Fidelity Audio. When you change (or upgrade as far as most audiophiles are concerned) a component or modified the circuit design, quite often you’ll gain something in due course, but unfortunately, you’ll also lose something in other less prominent areas. The only exception is enhancing your power supply. This is always the most fruitful tweak in the audiophile system. Experienced audiophiles/reviewers will pay a lot of attention to the power supply implementation of the product they are paying for, but this is rarely an important topic in the portable audio community.

So let’s take a look at the power supply requirements of N30LE:
  1. Hyper Mode: This is by far the most demanding new feature in N30LE in terms of power supply. When we can’t even enable Class A and P+ mode simultaneously in N8ii, the Hyper mode only existed as a dream before N30LE.
  2. Discrete Headphone amplifier: we have discussed the advantage and technical difficulties to implement a discrete headphone amplifier, but does it occur to you that a discrete circuit will always drain more power and required more caretaking to provide the appropriate power supply to specific components when compared to highly integrated Op-Amp circuits?
  3. Digital Audio circuit: the AK4499EQ is a very power-hungry chip, more so if we use them in current output mono mode because we need to provide a matching IV converter network in order to drain the maximum performance of these DAC chips.
  4. Timbre Circuit: while the Classic/Modern Tube timbre circuitry is extremely complicated, it's the new feature to extend the Nutube timber circuit to Line Out and Preamp out that complicated the power supply design. As always, large analog components such as Nutube 6P1 are very sensitive to power supply, therefore power supply design is crucially important when we adopt Nutube in multiple output scenarios. For the record, Cayin remains the only DAP brand that implemented a matched pair of Nutube in DAP.
The Power supply system of N30LE is surprisingly complicated because we literally establish a dedicated power supply connection to different key components and functional blocks within the DAP. These will allow us to customize the voltage of the power supply to different components/circuitry independently, and we can isolate the circuitry from electrical ripple effects. In other words, we can stop the noise, mechanical movement, and interference from passing onto the other components.

The N30LE is powered by a piece of custom ordered a piece of 12570mAh 3.8V lithium-ion polymer battery that provides up to 48Wh of power capacity. This is around triple the power capacity of a modern mobile phone. With this enormous power capacity, we can keep the N30LE running continuously for a reasonable time in each charging cycle (around 7.25Hr to 11 Hr). We have also implemented PD2.0 (18W) fast charging to minimize idle time during charging. The lithium-ion polymer battery pack adopts a structure where two cells are connected in series and then parallel after precise matching of parameters such as capacity and internal resistance.

1692129302824.png

N30LE Power Supply Functional Diagram (Level 1).jpg

1692129806589.png

To customize/enhance the power supply to meet various load-carrying and power supply demands across different scenarios, we have added multiple DC/DC converters, LDO, and filtering capacitors as deemed necessary. Among these, the power supply to the discrete headphone amplifier is definitely the most critical section in our overall power supply design. To facilitate (1) and (2) mentioned previously, we added a piece of Murata's DMF series 470mF/5.5V ELDC (Electric Double-Layer Capacitor) ultra-capacitor to make sure the circuit will have all the power it needed and at the time it needed. The ELDC ultra-capacitor has extremely low ESR (equivalent series resistance) and rapid charge-discharge response. It is equivalent to a large reserve of electrical power, making sure the analog circuitry will have ample power supply at all times.

The architecture of the main power supply showcases N30LE's excellent dynamic performance capabilities by providing stable output with abundant load-carrying capability and revealing transient details even at low volume levels. We have pushed the envelope by, for the first time, applying ELDC ultra-capacitor in portable products. The N30LE power supply system is the cornerstone of its superior audio performance, His only drawback is that it increases the size and weight of the DAP.

Power Amplifier Circuit Power Supply

Being fully differential by design, the N30LE features four channels of headphone amplifier circuits (L+, L-, R+, R-), and each channel is powered by a current mode high-current and high-dynamic DC/DC converters (LT8334) separately. Instead of using linear voltage regulator ICs for secondary regulation, which is a conventional practice in power supply design, we adopt an LC-enhanced filtering circuit to provide a direct power supply to the headphone amplifier circuit after secondary filtering. This maximizes the purity of the power supply, reduces internal resistance, and achieves faster response.

N30LE Power Supply Functional Diagram (DAC Amplifier).jpg

N30LE Functional Diagram (DAC).jpg

AK4499EQ output channels.jpg

DAC Decoding Circuit Power Supply

We have explained our Digital Audio circuit design previously (HERE). The AK4499EQ DAC chipsets are programmed to provide fully balanced current output across all channels (8 channels). We shall connect these outputs in parallel (per 2 channels), and feed into a 2x2 IV converter network (four dual channel op-amp). There are several different options to implement the AK4499EQ in mono mode. For instance, instead of using all eight outputs, you can use only four outputs per chip (i.e., half the outputs only) and you can still be able to achieve a fully balanced DAC circuit. N30LE connects every two outputs in parallel to Increase the load capacity of the DAC circuit. On the other hand, you can program the AK4499EQ as voltage output by using the internal IV converter in the DAC chipset. This will simplify the circuit design and reduce the overall power consumption, but in our experience, a properly designed current output DAC will almost always outperform the voltage output of the same DAC because the internal IV converters are inevitably a bottleneck of the system. The 2x2 IV converter network is a substantial design for portable applications, it will provide an optimized DAC output stage for subsequent audio circuits. The functional diagram of N30LE and the block diagram of AK4499EQ will illustrate this specific dual AK4499EQ implementation.

As per the Level, 1 functional diagram of the Power Supply System of N30LE, the complete digital audio power supply involves 5 subsystems: DAC (Left), DAC (Right), IV Conversion (Left), IV Conversion (Right), and other support circuitry in Digital Audio systems such as I2S, FPGA, and Femtosecond Oscillators.

The AK4499EQ DAC chip uses two completely independent power systems, with each left and right channel DAC having its own separate power system. Each set of DAC power includes 1 set of highly efficient low-noise DC/DC converters and four sets of low-noise LDOs with different current capacities and dynamic ranges, they are adapted to meet the specific need of different functions in the chipset. Our power supply system has exceeded the reference AKM design which is more power efficient for versatile applications. We are determined to power the DAC chipset properly so that its full performance will be unleashed in N30LE. This will be significantly better than running AK4499 in starving conditions (i.e., insufficiently powered).

The FPGA is provided with 3.3V, 1.8V, and 1.2V voltages separately by three separate low-noise LDO regulators; while the dual femtosecond crystal clock circuit operates at a working voltage of 1.8V supplied by an independent low-noise LDO regulator.

Last but not least, we have also used high-quality Panasonic POSCAP tantalum polymer capacitors for filtering in each sub-power supply along with NP0 and X7R capacitors to comprehensively enhance the dynamic performance of the power system.

To conclude, N30LE has optimized its circuit design and power supply design to maximize the performance of the dual AK4499 DAC chipsets.

N30LE Photo Shot 04.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 16, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #392 of 2,940
I have reorganized the opening post and started the regular housekeeping work to compile the Resource and FAQ of N30LE at Post #2, as with other Cayin DAP threads, I'll keep Post #2 updated till we hit page 100. In past experience, this will slowly grow into a Wiki-style reference page for N30LE and provided a lot of help to newcomers.

I enjoyed the HKAV show tremendously; I run into a lot of local and oversea friends and had a lot of exchanges with Cayin users and Headfier. Several HeadFi forum regulars dropped by to say Hi. We have visitors queuing up in front of our booth as soon as we started the show at 10 am every day. The N30LE demo units are fully occupied as expected, and the N7, N8ii, and desktop tube headphone amps are also getting a lot of exposure. We are compiling a short recap video for the HKAV show and hopefully, that'll be available by tomorrow. To illustrate how busy we are at this show, Peter Wong, founder of PWAudio said "I've been waiting for a long time, but still haven't tried it (N30LE) ...." I feel so embarrassed when someone forwards the message to me because he has been very helpful to us and provided a new, never been used cable for our Amber Peral IEM. I PMed him immediately and we finally get in touch a few hours later.

If you think N30LE and N30LE Amber Pearl are dramatic, let me tell you that we are nowhere near the center of attention in the show. The biggest Personal Audio launch in HKAV 2023 definitely belongs to Audio-Technica who released the Naruto series headphone & amplifier in this event (HERE). Priced at US$84,000, the 鳴神(NARUKAMI)is composed of a pair of “AW-KG NARU” headphones and a set of HPA-KG NARU” headphone amplifiers. They are going to make 10 sets only. The system sounds fabulous and is stunningly beautiful. I go back several times just to watch and appreciate the system.

The 3-days event is one of the most crowded and busiest shows in the world. According to the show organizer, the Hong Kong AV Show 2023 had 31,000 visitors over the three days of the event, with 14,000 of those on Friday, the first day of the show. Be reminded that this is an office working day, so a lot of visitors are taking a day off so that they can attend this event as early as possible. The Show last from 10 am to 7 pm every day, so it is 2 hours longer per day when compared to CanJam London next week. On the other hand, since I can't afford to live near CBD in Hong Kong, I spend about 3 hours per day commuting to and from the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center. That's why I am almost completely disappeared from the HeadFi forum since the show started last Friday. I was completely exhausted after the show, and am recovering gradually today.

I catch up with all the Cayin threads today and am disappointed that we don’t have a lot of N30LE impressions in the HeadFi forum. Maybe the tone of the discussion has scared some Hong Kong headfiers away and they feel reluctant to exchange when the thread is red-hot. Let’s hope there will be more impressions this weekend from CanJam London.

Cayin is happy to live with different opinions. All our product threads are as transparent and open-minded as it could be, we don’t have any problem when someone doesn’t like our product or disagree with us on whatever topic. All my friends and frequent contributors in Cayin threads know it very well that I managed our discussion with one simple belief:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but regardless of what you said, it remains as an opinion only. Your opinion might be useful to me, or it might now, it is up to me (or others) to decide if what you said is relevant, but in all cases, I prefer to maintain an “agree to disagree” position rather than trying to convince someone to agree with me.

In addition, Cayin doesn’t provide or discuss subjective opinions (or impressions) of our own products. We’ll try our best to explain our products but we don't go into components or material level. Since the early dates, we don’t discuss topics such as “Why AKM chipset instead of ESS chipset in this DAP?” or “Why stainless steel instead of copper chassis?” We are happy to discuss our product design and implementation, and we go into details that sometimes friends and reviewers will send me a reminder to stop digging deeper as other brands are watching.

We need to move on as quickly as possible because there are a lot of outstanding items before the official launch date. If you have read all the linked posts in Post #2 and is still having some question marks regarding N30LE and N30LE Amber Pearl, feel free to ask, we’ll try our best to explain and discuss.

Last edited:

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #393 of 2,940
. If you have read all the linked posts in Post #2 and is still having some question marks regarding N30LE and N30LE Amber Pearl, feel free to ask,
Will dealers be allowed to sell the Amber Pearl DAP without the Amber Pearl IEM?
Or is it exclusively available as bundle?

Hopefully some more impressions arrive soon from the HK Event :)

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #394 of 2,940
Will dealers be allowed to sell the Amber Pearl DAP without the Amber Pearl IEM?

That's a good question, but maybe they will have difficulties to decide the price for each items because I read somewhere that the limited JFET on AP DAP are more expensive than the one on the regular N30LE so I assume it's not as simple 5k DAP + 8k IEM for the bundle.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #395 of 2,940

We sell Amber Pearl as a bundle because we spend a lot of resources to build up the synergy between the N30LE with Amber Pearl IEM. We'll never sell them separately. The standard N30LE is more versatile than N30LE when you want to pair it with lots of IEM and headphones. The N30LE Amber Pearl is not a better DAP than the standard N30LE when you take the Amber Pearl IEM out of the equation.

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #396 of 2,940
We sell Amber Pearl as a bundle because we spend a lot of resources to build up the synergy between the N30LE with Amber Pearl IEM. We'll never sell them separately. The standard N30LE is more versatile than N30LE when you want to pair it with lots of IEM and headphones. The N30LE Amber Pearl is not a better DAP than the standard N30LE when you take the Amber Pearl IEM out of the equation.
Thanks for the clear answer.
And also for the elaborate coverage of all new Cayin products.

Other manufacturers should follow your example here.

I Stil hope that I can manage to get the N30LE myself but that is limited by some sale of my own gear first...

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #397 of 2,940
I catch up with all the Cayin threads today and am disappointed that we don’t have a lot of N30LE impressions in the HeadFi forum. Maybe the tone of the discussion has scared some Hong Kong headfiers away and they feel reluctant to exchange when the thread is red-hot. Let’s hope there will be more impressions this weekend from CanJam London.

Finding impressions about any piece of gear from HKAV has been very difficult if you’re looking on head fi only, I doubt it has anything to do with this thread. The most impressions I’ve been finding have all been in Facebook groups and Twitter, regardless of whether it’s discussing N30 LE or not.

My suggestion for the next product like this that will have a lot of interest is to have all of the information handy and translated from day one. I know they take a lot of time and effort and I really enjoy reading them, but this is a very limited and expensive item, the staggered release of important information I don’t personally feel is the most helpful way for us consumers to make purchase decisions. We can wait for impressions from HKAV and CanJam but then we risk not being able to get what we want if they’re already sold out.

Interesting. Now this makes me question if I should be getting the Amber Pearl DAP since I’m not keeping the IEM, but again I have no clue what the actual differences of them are when it comes to listening. I wanted the Pearl DAP when I saw it has increased dynamics in tube mode. I can wait to try get more info between both versions and risk them selling out or I just buy and hope for the best. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Again, as a consumer it’s just not an ideal situation in general. The hype around this DAP is crazy because it looks like a damn good product and there’s not a lot of units to go around. The FOMO is really strong with this one.

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #398 of 2,940
Dear Friend,

I wouldn't start asserting this thread (representing potential customers) as the reason why impressions are scant. It's hard to imagine folks are 'too scared' to post, if anything everyone here (myself included) are very curious on the sonic performances. Impressions are top tier from what I've read. Perhaps Headfi is mostly a Western audience and not many Headfiers are represented at HKAV show. I would look at the Watercooler Thread, you will see there aren't many HKAV posts there either. This thread became 'red hot' because of bungled marketing release (your responsibility). Don't blame others, just move on.

Cayin is happy to live with different opinions.
golly, aren't we lucky

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but regardless of what you said, it remains as an opinion only. Your opinion might be useful to me, or it might now, it is up to me (or others) to decide if what you said is relevant, but in all cases, I prefer to maintain an “agree to disagree” position rather than trying to convince someone to agree with me.
Thank you for this meaningful contribution. May want to town down the arrogance here.

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #399 of 2,940
golly, aren't we lucky

Thank you for this meaningful contribution. May want to town down the arrogance here.
What is wrong with you?

Where was the meaningful contribution in that post?

Aug 16, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #400 of 2,940
What is wrong with you?

Where was the meaningful contribution in that post?
It's fairly simple:

1. Andy insinuates consequences (scant impressions) for his bungled marketing release is somehow the 'threads fault'.
2. It is of no consequence to anybody that a company or a representative is comfortable with others opinions. This has no relevance.
3. It is not Andy's place as the marketing for Cayin to determine whether others opinions are relevant or not or whether we are allowed to hold them such opinions either.

Instead of decreeing whether Cayin/himself is comfortable with others views/opinions on a topic, perhaps he should stick to discussing the device. The PSU post was quite interesting. I would prefer to read more about the N30LE/Amber Pearl, rather than Andy remind us 'everyone is entitled to their opinion'...and 'it remains an opinion only'. These are not meaningful contributions to hifi at all.

Aug 16, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #401 of 2,940
This provides more clarity to understanding the situation with N30LE & N30LE AP. Really appreciate Cayin for their transparency about their products, I think the issue here is more about miss information, rather than deliberately misleading people.

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #402 of 2,940
I just want to say over the years of buying Cayin DAPs I have come to appreciate their honest efforts to move ever closer to live music without necessarily trying to overcharge and always providing genuine incremental improvements in the products, I know they are very sincere. The initial add for N30LE did say Amber was tailored for the iem, and I wasn't interested in iem so I went straight and pre-ordered the Standard, I am grateful to Cayin for their efforts to keep improving.
Looking forward to receiving my N30LE

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #403 of 2,940
HI @Andykong When you say it is a more versatile DAP...do you feel that the regular version will work better with IEMs and headphones better than Amber Pearl? It sounds like it is more capable for the variety... I ordered the Pearl...but would also buying the regular DAP be a good idea for using with my Empire Ears IEMs (Odin, etc..) and heapdhones? Have you compared the sound of regular vs Pearl when listening to other IEMs/headphones? Thank you!!!

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #404 of 2,940
Very excited to hear what the N30LE is going to sound like from reviewers! Any new impressions that were valuable that you guys found?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back