Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Aug 10, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #226 of 2,939
I wouldn't bet on it, it wouldn't make sense.

Let's first get some clarification on the differences between versions...
Unfortunately it looks like we already have that. And silence+the dodge of @aaf evo 's question the other day is not a good look. If this were false, it's something you nip....fast. If it's true it's something you silently contemplate how to address to create the least blowback on your brand and company, which is probably what we're seeing happen now.

The answer has to come fast and be truthful, already had 1 dodge/half truth, no more.

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #227 of 2,939
this is also confirmed by Cayin's Weibo, my pre-order was withdrawn, not paying 5K for the inferior product. The thing that bothered me the most is that @aaf evo asked the question about the difference between the two to @Andykong and the answer he got was implying that the differences are cosmetic only
I have pre-ordered and would expect the very best hardware but not the IEM, I personally don't like sticking something in my ear but for $5k I would expect the same optimum DAP @Andykong please even if to add a tiny bit more

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #228 of 2,939
Would those difference be audible?
I see the point, I also thought the two dap would be identical, such things should be clarified, however I see no foul play as Cayin could have always market limited if limited(like LP6 Ti aniv) but they should have done so from start.

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #229 of 2,939
I see the point, I also thought the two dap would be identical, such things should be clarified, however I see no foul play as Cayin could have always market limited if limited(like LP6 Ti aniv) but they should have done so from start.
not only they didn't but were asked directly and gave no straight answer. that shady practice made me pull my preorder

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #230 of 2,939
Absolutely as Cayin themselves proclaim in the marketing there are sonic differences.

Foul Play is established from:
1. Dodge @aaf evo's direct question about differences and mislead the consumer into believing both special editions are the same. I myself was misled into believing the tuning differences were purely firmware/software related. Similar to the differences between LP6 Platinum and LP6 Gold.
2. You mention LP6 Ti. There are no 'different versions' of LP6 Ti. All LP6 Ti's are the same. LP67AE is distinguished as a separate DAP. There are however, different versions of the Special Edition Cayin 30th Anniversary DAP. As of now, no one can purchase Amber Pearl DAP seperately.
3. Cayin themselves decree the Amber Pearl DAP have audible differences.
  • "In terms of actual hearing, with the 575 series, Amber Pearl will be more relaxed and rich in overtones"
  • "The main difference in listening experience is that the sense of rhythm and speed and the extremely weak sound will be displayed more naturally."
  • "...so that the overall hearing of Amber Pearl and N30LE is natural, real, round and ethereal."

Cayin could have established same hardware across all LE DAPs and offered a different firmware for the Amber Pearl IEM, however it reserved special/limited components for Amber Pearl. This DAP is focused on enthusiasts, many of whom have totl iem collections which can benefit and better appreciate these upgrades. I have not seen such behavior from other companies in this space.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #232 of 2,939
套装1.jpg

Unique Melody Amber Pearl Hybrid IEM

Unique Melody, abbreviated as UM, is renowned for its high-end professional and custom-made in-ear monitors. UM is located at the east end of Zhuhai City while Cayin is at its west end. We were known as "the sound of Zhuhai" in China audiophile community and we are proud with this team identity.

In fact, before this point in time, Cayin and UM were often adjacent to each other at many shows and exhibitions. When we conduct subjective listening tests during new product development, there is always one or more UM IEMs in our reference monitor bench, and UM also involves Cayin’s DAP and amplifier during their development process. However, the two brands have yet to join forces in a project officially. The Amber Pearl IEM for N30LE finally break the ice.

The name Amber Pearl basically follows UM’s naming convention with Amber representing the warm yellowish color and Pearl representing the 30th anniversary (of Cayin) as well as the number of transducers in the IEM. There are 15 drivers per unit or 30 drivers per pair altogether.

耳机4 (2).jpg

The First Design from the Sound of Zhuhai

From a product development point of view, the joint development of two HiFi brands such as Cayin and UM means finding the best synergy between electronic products and acoustic products. The good thing is, the synergy is not achieved by mix and match but through the proper engineering process, and we can safely expect that we can achieve 1+1>2 when we combine the talent and expertise of two excellent products. Therefore, Cayin and UM engineers collaborated in this development process. We meet to discuss options and conduct subjective listening tests together.

The application of bone conduction units is one of the important parts of UM acoustic engineering. Therefore, Cayin engineers have devoted a lot of effort, and with the assistance of UM engineers, explored various bone conduction units, understanding the difference between piezoelectric type and coil type, and the characteristic of Silver-Palladium Alloy and Frequency Shift in piezoelectric Bone Conduction Drivers. They also performed extensive testing and conducted blind listening sessions on existing UM products. Finally, together with UM engineers, the following configuration was determined:

Driver configuration: 4 Bass BA Drivers + 2 Mid BA Drivers + 2 Mid-Treble BA Drivers+ 4 Treble BA Drivers + 2 Ultra-High EST Drivers + 1 Frequency-Shift Piezoelectric Bone Conduction Driver

Amber Pearl consists of 15 drivers with a 6-way Crossover. The theory is simple but the reality is another story. The drivers should operate independently within a specific frequency band, as controlled by the crossover. To crossover, the circuit will also coordinate and control the drivers to minimize bleeding into adjacent regions. Cayin has built speakers and IEM but our track record was limited to 2-way and 3-way crossover. We understand all too well that the complexity and difficulty of crossover design is not a linear progression. When you move from 4-way to 5-way, or from 5-way to 6-way, the complexity will increase exponentially. Without the involvement of UM team, we couldn’t be done this properly.

After we get the crossover right, the Amber Pearl is highly resolving with density, the image of the music being very clear. The Frequency shifting BCD has become the most important element in perfecting Amber Pearl. The frequency shifting technique has enhanced the transparency, frequency extension, and density of Amber Pearl to the next level.

When we design the chassis for Amber Pearl, we have our eyes set on the Prestige Stabilized Cholla wood chassis of Manson. We prefer a warmish tone to resemble the vacuum tube glowing. UM tried different resin and has finally adopted a yellow-orange resin and we decided to call it Amber. UM will reserve this resin for Cayin exclusively, so this particular IEM chassis finishing will only appear in the 99 pairs of Amber Pearl IEM.

The cable of Amber Pearl is custom-made by PWAudio, it is a 2-wire 4 conductors design, and each conductor is independently shielded 26AWG 6N OCC Copper. To implement the cable for the 4.4mm five-pole connection, we have connected the shielding layer of each conductor to the ground connection of the 4.4mm ground pin, making it a perfect fit for the 4.4mm connection of N30LE. This cable has never been used in previous UM products, and it is unlikely that the cable will be used again in forthcoming UM IEMs.

The Amber Peral IEM will come with AZLA SednaEarfit Xelastec SS MS M and UM Silicone Eartips S M L ear tips.

耳机2.jpg

Refinement for Synergy: Standard N30LE vs N30LE Amber Pearl Customization

In order to truly achieve "1+1>2", Cayin and UM have conducted numerous meetings to fine-tune the synergy and audio performance of N30LE and Amber Pearl IEM. As a result, there are two versions of N30LE: the standalone version and the Amber Pearl Combo version, the latter includes a further customized and enhanced Amber Pearl version N30LE and a pair of UM Amber Pearl IEM. Some minor adjustments have been made to the Amber Pearl (AP) combo version N30LE:
  1. Crystal Oscillator: the standard N30LE uses Accusilicon AS318 series crystal oscillators. The AP combo version uses CRYSTEK CCHD-575 series crystal oscillators. Both oscillators are femtosecond-grade but the typical phase jitter of CCHD-575 is rated at 82fs RMS at 100 MHz, noticeably better than AS318 at 200fS at 100MHz. In terms of actual listening experience, N30LE with the CCHD-575 series crystal oscillators provides Amber Pearl with more spaciousness and rich overtones.
  2. JFET tube timbre circuit output: As mentioned previously, the timber circuit adopts a three-stage amplification structure and we have a low-noise audio-grade N-channel JFET before and after the 6P1. The standard N30LE employs Toshiba's 2SK209 JFET while the AP combo version utilizes TI's JFE150 JFET which dated back to Burr Brown. When we customized the Timber circuit to handle Amber Pearl, we decided to use the JFE150 because it has a stronger current output capability. When you use tube timber of N30LE Amber Pearl DAP to drive the Amber Pearl IEM, it will be driven more fully. Whether users choose the "Modern" or "Classic" mode, Amber Pearl exhibits outstanding performance and distinction in terms of rhythm, speed, and natural rendering of extremely low-level details. The JEF150 is indeed more expensive, but the component was selected for its designated purpose, not because of its price.
  3. The differential input stage of discrete phone amplification circuit: We have stated in the functional diagram that the phone amplifier circuit adopts “Matched Toshiba N-Channel JFET” as Differential Input. The standard N30LE adopts Toshiba 2SK2145 dual JFET while The AP combo version adopts the highly acclaimed Toshiba 2SK389 Dual JFET (which has been discontinued for many years). We need to adjust the static operating point of each level in the circuit, this step is crucial in building a high-quality discrete circuit. The internal pins of both matched JFETs within 2SK389 are individually wired. When we conduct subjective listening tests on Amber Pearl, we connected different resistors in series with the source of the two matched JFETs inside the 2SK389, the circuit characteristics are adjusted using local negative feedback technology, which changes the open-loop gain (feedback coefficient). The resulting changes in the load include improved linearity and variations in harmonic distribution. This will improve the synergy between N30LE and Amber Pearl, the combo presents a natural and realistic sound signature that is smooth and ethereal while eliminating any trace of harshness.
The circuit changes are subtle but significant, but they are ”invisible” to users, so we have added the following cosmetic differences:
  • The back of the N30LE AP combo version is engraved with "N30LE" and "Amber Pearl," representing the names of both the DAP (Digital Audio Player) and the IEM. It also signifies a collaborative tuning effort and serves to differentiate it from the standard N30LE DAP in terms of appearance.
  • The serial number will be engraved differently, the standard N30LE is 30LE001 to 30LE300, and the AP combo package is Pearl 01 to Pearl 99
  • The leather case will be marked differently (please refer to the following diagram)
  • The packing box will print the model number explicitly.
1691724243904.png

N3OLE-1339.jpg

N30LE编号.jpg

N30LE特调版编号.jpg

N3LE standard vs combo leather case.jpg

I hope this will explain the difference between the standard N30LE and N30LE Amber Pearl combo version in detail. I’ll further explain the technical details related to the tuning process but it may be difficult to understand for some readers. Essentially, Cayin insists on using discrete components in portable products like N30LE because they offer adjustable characteristics; however, this approach is subject to product positioning and cost limitations. We have clarified many times that Cayin doesn’t adjust the sound signature through a firmware update, we have been very particular about this practice since the original N6 DAP and we have explained our position in previous product discussion (HERE, HERE). We prefer fine-tuning the sound signature of our product through circuit design, choice of components, and adjustment of circuit operation parameters, this is our strength and the basic building block of the Cayin house sound.

In practice, Amber Pearl sounds excellent even when paired with standard N30LE. During its design process, we have extensively tested various headphones and backend equipment combinations alongside N30LE itself. However, because Hi-Fi products always strive for continuous improvement, audiophiles always want to squeeze out the final bits of performance through cable or accessories changes. As a product designer and manufacturer, we have the unique opportunity to do that at circuit and component level modification. When we have a specific IEM pairing in mind, this presents a unique opportunity to fine-tune the sound signature for this particular IEM and deliver further enhancement.

To give an inappropriate analogy, if my subjective listening experience of the N30LE standard version + Amber Pearl is rated at 98 points, then the package version would be rated at 99 points. Please be reminded that this is only an analogy, listening experience is subjective and quantitative description to express the opinion of Cayin and UM's joint subjective evaluation is purely for illustration purposes. By the way, the perfect score of 100 will never exist; it always lies in the future – that's what Hi-End pursues.

Is it possible that the N30LE AP combo version paired with other earphones achieves a rating of 98 points while the standalone N30LE model achieves a rating of 99 points? The answer is yes. Audio products, whether electronic devices (such as players or amplifiers) or electroacoustic devices (such as IEM, headphones, or speakers), are all playback equipment with their own tendencies and limitations. N30LE itself has undergone multiple adjustments in design and various load combinations during its development process. It also possesses strong driving capability. The slight difference between ratings can be attributed to specific tuning considerations.

Music is diverse, and users' IEM and listening preferences are also diverse. The purpose of presenting various modes and tones is to facilitate users in finding their own preferences when choosing equipment. This is our intention, and this is hidden in the DNA of our flagship products, and N30LE is no exception. Experience different combinations, discover synergy, and find your flavor tone at a specific time, for a specific moment - this is the charm of Hi-Fi.

_DSC4734.JPG

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 10, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #233 of 2,939
It seems N30LE and Amber Pearl have DIFFERENT hardware. So for 5k USD, you merely have the N30LE, the 'inferior' version of this super flagship DAP. If what I'm reading is true, this is unacceptable practices from Cayin (http://www.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2310599&extra=).

Keypoints (translated):
  • The set version (Amber Pearl) N30LE crystal oscillator adopts CRYSTEK CCHD-575 series, and the stand-alone N30LE adopts Accusilicon AS318 series, both of which are femtosecond class. In terms of actual hearing, with the 575 series, Amber Pearl will be more relaxed and rich in overtones
  • Electronic tube timbre circuit drive output JFET: TI’s JFE150 is used in the package (Amber Pearl), and Toshiba 2SK209 is used in the stand-alone version. As mentioned above, Amber Pearl belongs to the hybrid multi-unit configuration. Although the sensitivity is 114dB and the DC impedance is 22 ohms, when matching the sound of the tube, because the current output capability of JFE150 is stronger, no matter whether the user chooses Modern (modern) or Classic (Classic), Amber Pearl will be driven more full, while Modern (Modern) will be more prominent and easy to distinguish. The main difference in listening experience is that the sense of rhythm and speed and the extremely weak sound will be displayed more naturally.
  • Differential input stage of power amplifier circuit: the Amber Pearl set version adopts the very famous Toshiba 2SK389 twin JFET pairing tube (discontinued for many years). After fine-tuning the static operating points of the circuits at all levels, this step is actually the most important step in the synthesis of the above three adjustments part of the
    The pins of the two paired JFETs inside the 2SK389 are all led out separately. During the subjective audition of Amber Pearl, Cayin’s engineers adjusted the source electrodes of the two paired JFETs inside the 2SK389 by connecting different resistors in series. Feedback technology adjusts the circuit characteristics, changes the open-loop gain (feedback coefficient), and the change reflected in the load is the improvement of linearity and the change of harmonic distribution, so that the overall hearing of Amber Pearl and N30LE is natural, real, round and ethereal. Polish off the only trace of fireworks.​

This means, you need to shell out $13,000 to get the upgraded version of the Cayin Titanium DAP, and customers are forced to purchase the Amber Pearl IEM (at time of this post). Personally, I have no issue with limited edition products or TOTL products, I buy them often. However quietly upgrading the DAP components and restricting it to the Amber Pearl bundle set without making a publication of this (not found on @Andykong's posts or product descriptions) is deceitful. This rubs me the wrong way, not a great way to commemorate a 30th birthday.

I have posted a detailed explanation between the standard N30LE and N30LE Amber Pearl Combo version HERE. Before I provide the detail, I need to provide a detailed description of the Amber Pearl IEM, because the difference between the two versions is meaningless if we take the Amber Pearl IEM out of the context.

Since the formal release of N30LE and N30LE Amber Pearl was scheduled for 28 August, I was under the impression that I have plenty of time to cover the explanation work, so I scheduled the Amber Pearl explanation as "within this week", obviously I underestimated the passion and urgency of audiophile friends. This is a happy problem because that only implies our users are very interested in our product, but I was a bit surprised that some of the discussion developed a fairly negative assumption. Please be rest assured that Cayin has always been very transparent on our product, we have published detailed functional diagrams and specifications that far exceed common marketing practice. We are more than happy to tell you what we did, and why we do that. I am sure a lot of Cayin users will appreciate our open-minded approach, it just takes time to complete the process.

In view of the strong interest in this topic, I have completed my half-baked explanation this morning. It is not as good as I would like it to be, and I was supposed to attend the Hong Kong Audio Visual Show this morning, but I guess a timely response is more important when there is a need for an explanation. The explanation post is very long, and I didn't have time to refine it with proper illustration, some of the translation is rough, and there is a lot of information that I need to seek confirmation from UM before I can put it on writing. Joint venture is always time consuming.

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #235 of 2,939
I underestimated the passion and urgency of audiophile friends. This is a happy problem because that only implies our users are very interested in our product, but I was a bit surprised that some of the discussion developed a fairly negative assumption.
The issue is the Western market wasn't treated equally as the Chinese market regarding the disclosure of information at time of release, yet Cayin was eager for pre orders to be taken first. I had to hunt for this information on erji.net, yet during the marketing release on Headfi, the discrepancies were failed to be disclosed and Cayin was not forthright from the get go. Please learn from this mistake. As you know, audiophiles are not ordinary consumers, many of us are detail oriented.

the difference between the two versions is meaningless if we take the Amber Pearl IEM out of the context.
I doubt Cayin/yourself literally understand all of our subjective interpretations of our various iem sets. I hope your statement is true, however as you know, audiophile hobby is subjective and such statements 'difference between two is meaningless' is a wide sweeping statement which should be best avoided. For instance, I have Mason Fusang CIEM, JH Jolene and Campfire Trifecta. Can you personally assure this statement against these iems? Can you assure such a statement for folks who own other iems? I think not.

I will close with one of your statements.
Please be reminded that this is only an analogy, listening experience is subjective and quantitative description to express the opinion of Cayin and UM's joint subjective evaluation is purely for illustration purposes.

Best,

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #236 of 2,939
I have posted a detailed explanation between the standard N30LE and N30LE Amber Pearl Combo version HERE. Before I provide the detail, I need to provide a detailed description of the Amber Pearl IEM, because the difference between the two versions is meaningless if we take the Amber Pearl IEM out of the context.
It will be better if you can provide both version on HKAV so we can bring our IEM and prove your statement 😃

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #237 of 2,939
Last edited:

Aug 11, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #238 of 2,939
Aug 11, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #239 of 2,939
I am still on my way to attend HKAV show, our Sales team is on site taking care of the show, Cayin Facebook has updated status and photo of HKAV show

Screenshot_20230811_134750_Facebook.jpg

FB_IMG_1691733099063.jpg

FB_IMG_1691733106113.jpg

Aug 11, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #240 of 2,939
套装1.jpg

Unique Melody Amber Pearl Hybrid IEM

Unique Melody, abbreviated as UM, is renowned for its high-end professional and custom-made in-ear monitors. UM is located at the east end of Zhuhai City while Cayin is at its west end. We were known as "the sound of Zhuhai" in China audiophile community and we are proud with this team identity.

In fact, before this point in time, Cayin and UM were often adjacent to each other at many shows and exhibitions. When we conduct subjective listening tests during new product development, there is always one or more UM IEMs in our reference monitor bench, and UM also involves Cayin’s DAP and amplifier during their development process. However, the two brands have yet to join forces in a project officially. The Amber Pearl IEM for N30LE finally break the ice.

The name Amber Pearl basically follows UM’s naming convention with Amber representing the warm yellowish color and Pearl representing the 30th anniversary (of Cayin) as well as the number of transducers in the IEM. There are 15 drivers per unit or 30 drivers per pair altogether.

耳机4 (2).jpg

The First Design from the Sound of Zhuhai

From a product development point of view, the joint development of two HiFi brands such as Cayin and UM means finding the best synergy between electronic products and acoustic products. The good thing is, the synergy is not achieved by mix and match but through the proper engineering process, and we can safely expect that we can achieve 1+1>2 when we combine the talent and expertise of two excellent products. Therefore, Cayin and UM engineers collaborated in this development process. We meet to discuss options and conduct subjective listening tests together.

The application of bone conduction units is one of the important parts of UM acoustic engineering. Therefore, Cayin engineers have devoted a lot of effort, and with the assistance of UM engineers, explored various bone conduction units, understanding the difference between piezoelectric type and coil type, and the characteristic of Silver-Palladium Alloy and Frequency Shift in piezoelectric Bone Conduction Drivers. They also performed extensive testing and conducted blind listening sessions on existing UM products. Finally, together with UM engineers, the following configuration was determined:

Driver configuration: 4 Bass BA Drivers + 2 Mid BA Drivers + 2 Mid-Treble BA Drivers+ 4 Treble BA Drivers + 2 Ultra-High EST Drivers + 1 Frequency-Shift Piezoelectric Bone Conduction Driver

Amber Pearl consists of 15 drivers with a 6-way Crossover. The theory is simple but the reality is another story. The drivers should operate independently within a specific frequency band, as controlled by the crossover. To crossover, the circuit will also coordinate and control the drivers to minimize bleeding into adjacent regions. Cayin has built speakers and IEM but our track record was limited to 2-way and 3-way crossover. We understand all too well that the complexity and difficulty of crossover design is not a linear progression. When you move from 4-way to 5-way, or from 5-way to 6-way, the complexity will increase exponentially. Without the involvement of UM team, we couldn’t be done this properly.

After we get the crossover right, the Amber Pearl is highly resolving with density, the image of the music being very clear. The Frequency shifting BCD has become the most important element in perfecting Amber Pearl. The frequency shifting technique has enhanced the transparency, frequency extension, and density of Amber Pearl to the next level.

When we design the chassis for Amber Pearl, we have our eyes set on the Prestige Stabilized Cholla wood chassis of Manson. We prefer a warmish tone to resemble the vacuum tube glowing. UM tried different resin and has finally adopted a yellow-orange resin and we decided to call it Amber. UM will reserve this resin for Cayin exclusively, so this particular IEM chassis finishing will only appear in the 99 pairs of Amber Pearl IEM.

The cable of Amber Pearl is custom-made by PWAudio, it is a 2-wire 4 conductors design, and each conductor is independently shielded 26AWG 6N OCC Copper. To implement the cable for the 4.4mm five-pole connection, we have connected the shielding layer of each conductor to the ground connection of the 4.4mm ground pin, making it a perfect fit for the 4.4mm connection of N30LE. This cable has never been used in previous UM products, and it is unlikely that the cable will be used again in forthcoming UM IEMs.

The Amber Peral IEM will come with AZLA SednaEarfit Xelastec SS MS M and UM Silicone Eartips S M L ear tips.

耳机2.jpg

The Final Refinement and N30LE Amber Pearl Customization

In order to truly achieve "1+1>2", Cayin and UM have conducted numerous meetings to fine-tune the synergy and audio performance of N30LE and Amber Pearl IEM. As a result, there are two versions of N30LE: the standalone version and the Amber Pearl Combo version, the latter includes a further customized and enhanced Amber Pearl version N30LE and a pair of UM Amber Pearl IEM. Some minor adjustments have been made to the Amber Pearl (AP) combo version N30LE:
  1. Crystal Oscillator: the standard N30LE uses Accusilicon AS318 series crystal oscillators. The AP combo version uses CRYSTEK CCHD-575 series crystal oscillators. Both oscillators are femtosecond-grade but the typical phase jitter of CCHD-575 is rated at 82fs RMS at 100 MHz, noticeably better than AS318 at 200fS at 100MHz. In terms of actual listening experience, N30LE with the CCHD-575 series crystal oscillators provides Amber Pearl with more spaciousness and rich overtones.
  2. JFET tube timbre circuit output: As mentioned previously, the timber circuit adopts a three-stage amplification structure and we have a low-noise audio-grade N-channel JFET before and after the 6P1. The standard N30LE employs Toshiba's 2SK209 JFET while the AP combo version utilizes TI's JFE150 JFET which dated back to Burr Brown. The JFE150 has a stronger current output capability, when we customized the Timber circuit to handle Amber Pearl, we decided to use adopt a different JFET in the timbre circuit. When Amber Pearl IEM is Amber Pearl is driven more fully when paired with electronic tube sound. Whether users choose the "Modern" or "Classic" mode, Amber Pearl exhibits outstanding performance and distinction in terms of rhythm, speed, and natural rendering of extremely low-level details. The JEF150 is indeed more expensive, but the component was selected for its designated purpose, not because of its price.
  3. The differential input stage of discrete phone amplification circuit: We have stated in the functional diagram that the phone amplifier circuit adopts “Matched Toshiba N-Channel JFET” as Differential Input. The standard N30LE adopts Toshiba 2SK2145 dual JFET while The AP combo version adopts the highly acclaimed Toshiba 2SK389 Dual JFET (which has been discontinued for many years). We need to adjust the static operating point of each level in the circuit, this step is crucial in building a high-quality discrete circuit. The internal pins of both matched JFETs within 2SK389 are individually wired. When we conduct subjective listening tests on Amber Pearl, we connected different resistors in series with the source of the two matched JFETs inside the 2SK389, the circuit characteristics are adjusted using local negative feedback technology, which changes the open-loop gain (feedback coefficient). The resulting changes in the load include improved linearity and variations in harmonic distribution. This will improve the synergy between N30LE and Amber Pearl, the combo presents a natural and realistic sound signature that is smooth and ethereal while eliminating any trace of harshness.
The circuit changes are subtle but significant, but they are ”invisible” to users, so we have added the following cosmetic differences:
  • The back of the N30LE AP combo version is engraved with "N30LE" and "Amber Pearl," representing the names of both the DAP (Digital Audio Player) and the IEM. It also signifies a collaborative tuning effort and serves to differentiate it from the standard N30LE DAP in terms of appearance.
  • The serial number will be engraved differently, the standard N30LE is 30LE001 to 30LE300, and the AP combo package is Pearl 01 to Pearl 99
  • The leather case will be marked differently (please refer to the following diagram)
  • The packing box will print the model number explicitly.
1691724243904.png
N3OLE-1339.jpg
N30LE编号.jpg
N30LE特调版编号.jpg
N3LE standard vs combo leather case.jpg

I hope this will explain the difference between the standard N30LE and N30LE Amber Pearl combo version in detail. I’ll further explain the technical details related to the tuning process but it may be difficult to understand for some readers. Essentially, Cayin insists on using discrete components in portable products like N30LE because they offer adjustable characteristics; however, this approach is subject to product positioning and cost limitations. We have clarified many times that Cayin doesn’t adjust the sound signature through a firmware update, we have been very particular about this practice since the original N6 DAP and we have explained our position in previous product discussion (HERE, HERE). We prefer fine-tuning the sound signature of our product through circuit design, choice of components, and adjustment of circuit operation parameters, this is our strength and the basic building block of the Cayin house sound.

In practice, Amber Pearl sounds excellent even when paired with standard N30LE. During its design process, we have extensively tested various headphones and backend equipment combinations alongside N30LE itself. However, because Hi-Fi products always strive for continuous improvement, audiophiles always want to squeeze out the final bits of performance through cable or accessories changes. As a product designer and manufacturer, we have the unique opportunity to do that at circuit and component level modification. When we have a specific IEM pairing in mind, this presents a unique opportunity to fine-tune the sound signature for this particular IEM and deliver further enhancement.

To give an inappropriate analogy, if my subjective listening experience of the N30LE standard version + Amber Pearl is rated at 98 points, then the package version would be rated at 99 points. Please be reminded that this is only an analogy, listening experience is subjective and quantitative description to express the opinion of Cayin and UM's joint subjective evaluation is purely for illustration purposes. By the way, the perfect score of 100 will never exist; it always lies in the future – that's what Hi-End pursues.

Is it possible that the N30LE AP combo version paired with other earphones achieves a rating of 98 points while the standalone N30LE model achieves a rating of 99 points? The answer is yes. Audio products, whether electronic devices (such as players or amplifiers) or electroacoustic devices (such as IEM, headphones, or speakers), are all playback equipment with their own tendencies and limitations. N30LE itself has undergone multiple adjustments in design and various load combinations during its development process. It also possesses strong driving capability. The slight difference between ratings can be attributed to specific tuning considerations.

Music is diverse, and users' IEM and listening preferences are also diverse. The purpose of presenting various modes and tones is to facilitate users in finding their own preferences when choosing equipment. This is our intention, and this is hidden in the DNA of our flagship products, and N30LE is no exception. Experience different combinations, discover synergy, and find your flavor tone at a specific time, for a specific moment - this is the charm of Hi-Fi.

_DSC4734.JPG
As lovely as this explanation is, I feel the same superior JFET should have been used on both version and leave the matching of headphones and IEMs and cable combination to your users while noting that the uptimum performance you have tested is only based on the AP version... so I feel like even after buying 3 top end DAPs from Cayin in fairly rapid succession I still don't have the best they have to offer in DAP!!! That's disappointing 😞
My 30cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back