Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Nov 7, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #1,891 of 2,940
Sorry for bothering you guys, but the battery drain on my N30 is still persists.

Can you check on your devices under Battery Usage if you have the process "Mobile_Radio" running.

You go to Settings > Battery > Battery Usage

I think Battery Manager bellow should be turned on to be able to monitor the Battery.

As you can see in the picture bellow, the process Mobile_Radio drains more battery than 3 hours of Screen time. Which is a lot.

IMG_5398.jpeg

In relation to Mobile_Radio, WiFi at the bottom drains 1% battery for 7:30 hours of usage.

What i have found so far is this Link where the Mobile Radio Active Bug is explained.

It baffles me that N30 is affected because it has no cellular radios inside.

I have tried a factory reset so far, but the bug is still here. @Andykong
I purchased an N30LE a few weeks back from Hifonix which was from a new shipment of re-baised units and I too have the same Mobile Radio issue. When I checked there now and it says 41% but when you click on it, it says no usage from last full charge. The thing I find strange is it's showing HiByMusic has been used for 5 hours 56 mins but only used 1% usage...

I only use local files on my memory card and don't use wi-fi or bluetooth.

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #1,892 of 2,940
My N30LE is arriving by Thursday and I first want to check normal behavior before diving into software optimization but I heard about possibilities to disable Android apks etc with and without Root access.
Before doing such low level mods maybe @Andykong can ask development team and possibly disable "Mobile_Radio" within a future firmware release? As far as I followed this battery drainage task it seems to be Android 12 related (or reappearing with Android 12), right?

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #1,893 of 2,940
I purchased an N30LE a few weeks back from Hifonix which was from a new shipment of re-baised units and I too have the same Mobile Radio issue. When I checked there now and it says 41% but when you click on it, it says no usage from last full charge. The thing I find strange is it's showing HiByMusic has been used for 5 hours 56 mins but only used 1% usage...

I only use local files on my memory card and don't use wi-fi or bluetooth.
Mobile_Radio process is strange, i know.
What i learned from today listening session is that Mobile_Radio drains the battery if WiFi is enabled.
I have tried to put the DAP in Flight Mode with Wifi enabled but it drains again the battery.

Can you share a foto from the Battery Usage screen? Which firmware version have you installed?
Mine is the latest 1.2

Before doing such low level mods maybe @Andykong can ask development team and possibly disable "Mobile_Radio" within a future firmware release?
I might be wrong but i think Mobile_Radio Process is related to all kinds of radio on the DAP, namely WiFi and Bluetooth.
I have no clue why it fires up. It is a Android Bug from the past.
I spoke to someone with an android phone because i use iPhone and this person does not have such Mobile_Radio on the phone draining the battery.

Maybe it is related to the lates firmware update. We will see.

Would be great if Cayin could eliminate this bug with the next firmware. I think it should be a system wide update to work out.
Agree, a more streamline Android version would be highly appreciated with the option to disable or uninstall Hibi Cast and other Bloatware.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #1,894 of 2,940
What i learned from today listening session is that Mobile_Radio drains the battery if WiFi is enabled.
I have tried to put the DAP in Flight Mode with Wifi enabled but it drains again the battery.

Can you share a foto from the Battery Usage screen? Which firmware version have you installed?
Mine is the latest 1.2

I might be wrong but i think Mobile_Radio Process is related to all kinds of radio on the DAP, namely WiFi and Bluetooth.
I spoke to someone with an android phone because i use iPhone and this person does not have such Mobile_Radio on the phone draining the battery.

Would be great if Cayin could eliminate this bug with the next firmware. I think it should be a system wide update to work out.
Agree, a more streamline Android version would be highly appreciated with the option to disable or uninstall Hibi Cast and other Bloatware.
Agree about bloatware in general but there might be some "strategical" services that are meant to be installed

From my gut feeling Hiby Cast belongs to this software.
Can be wrong but I think Hiby and Cayin software teams are working closely together and that cast function is a way to remote control the player.
Hiby Player is also something I am going to try on N30LE as I read some interesting posts yet about its tweaking potential and I know MSEB settings from my former RS8

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,895 of 2,940

Mine is the latest 1.2

Can you tell us more about your WiFi setup? Model of Router? How it was setup?2.4G/5G? 802.11 a? b? g? n?ac?ax?

We need more information to replicate your condition.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 7, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,896 of 2,940
Can you tell us more about your WiFi setup? Model of Router? How it was setup?2.4G/5G? 802.11 a? b? g? n?ac?ax?

Mine shows MOBILE_RADIO also, but I get around a good 7-8hrs or so of use on Hyper. I've kinda ignored this, LOL.

Running ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12 – all bands enabled a/b/g/n/ac/ax 2.4/5

N30LE connects via WiFi 5

Screenshot_20231107-164335.pngScreenshot_20231107-164456.pngScreenshot_20231107-164517.pngScreenshot_20231107-164528.png

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #1,897 of 2,940

Will do so when i arrive back home.

What i can tell you rn is that i use an Access Point with WiFi4 & WiFi5

I used WiFi4 in the past the whole time and because i had once a day a WiFi disconnect from N30 (so i have to reconnect), i switched to WiFi5 recently.
Could be that the switch to WiFi5 coincide with the Mobile_Radio Bug
The bug persists even when switching back to WiFi4

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #1,898 of 2,940
Announcement of N30LE Firmware v1.3

1699410914005.png

New Functions and System Optimisation
  1. Fixed the issue of abnormal flashing of the charging indicator.
  2. Enhance third-party application support to resolve occasional playback issues.
  3. Other bug fixes and optimisations.
https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/616.html

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N30LE as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through OTA or local updates. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center of our official website, https://en.cayin.cn/

Attention
  • Please make sure the DAP has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your DAP has more than 1GB of storage before the firmware update.
  • Do not operate the device during a firmware update.
  • Please delete the firmware file from the TF card or internal storage after you have completed the firmware update process

OTA Update Procedures
  1. Connect the N30LE to the internet via Wi-Fi.
  2. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “System Update”.
  3. Press “check version”, the system will check for new firmware.
  4. Press “Download” when your DAP detects a new firmware. The N30LE operating system will download the new firmware as instructed.
  5. Press “Install now” after the firmware is successfully downloaded.
  6. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Local Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the SUPPORT center of Cayin's official website (en.cayin.cn), you should receive a compressed file as cayin_N30LE_XXXX.zip which is used for the N30LE firmware update.
  2. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of N30LE internal memory or the root directory of the TF card, and insert the TF card into N30LE before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “System Update”.
  5. Press the “┇” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
  6. Select “Local updates” in the pop-up menu.
  7. Proceed to the directory where the firmware file is located, and then select the firmware file.
  8. Press “INSTALL NOW”.
  9. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Last edited:

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #1,899 of 2,940
For anyone experiencing the crashing, have you tried factory resetting the device? This solved the crashing problem for me it seems.

The major issue I’m experiencing right now is during streaming playback tracks will randomly start playing 10x slower and be distorted. This will last for a random amount of time. Sometimes it’s solved by unplugging and replugging in the AP, however not all the time. Usually it goes away within 5-10 minutes if you pause the track and just wait. Very frustrating issue.
@Andykong im having the issue where music is playing back extremely slowly, like as if it’s in slow-motion. I tried factory resetting and it’s still happening. It happens on all streaming apps I use (Tidal, Apple Music, Spotify and Soundcloud). It started intermittently but now it’s constant.

Is there a way this can be resolved without sending it back to Cayin?

The new v1.3 firmware has introduced a fix to the slow-motion playback problem. Based on the two samples we have received, the problem is related to a delay in loading FPGA instruction. Once we can replicate the problem under our control, providing a fix is relatively straightforward, in most cases. However, we cannot be 100% sure that everyone facing the same problem is caused by the same bug, the situation of Damz87 seems a bit different from the other users reporting the slow-motion playback problem. That's why we want to hear from you whether the v1.3 firmware has solved your problem as well.

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #1,900 of 2,940
❤️ the speedy firmware updates ❤️

And my N30LE is pulsing with regular “beats” while charging

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #1,901 of 2,940
Sorry for bothering you guys, but the battery drain on my N30 is still persists.

Can you check on your devices under Battery Usage if you have the process "Mobile_Radio" running.

You go to Settings > Battery > Battery Usage

I think Battery Manager bellow should be turned on to be able to monitor the Battery.

As you can see in the picture bellow, the process Mobile_Radio drains more battery than 3 hours of Screen time. Which is a lot.

In relation to Mobile_Radio, WiFi at the bottom drains 1% battery for 7:30 hours of usage.

What i have found so far is this Link where the Mobile Radio Active Bug is explained.

It baffles me that N30 is affected because it has no cellular radios inside.

I have tried a factory reset so far, but the bug is still here. @Andykong

Mine is the latest 1.2

Most DAP manufacturers, Cayin included issue a bloated Android version which has a lot of processes which make sense in a mobile phone but not in a DAP.
Dont want to blame Cayin because most manufacturers follow this practice.

I would love if Cayin and @Andykong could go a step further as the other manufacturers and get rid of the below apps in the next firmware iteration, because these processes are a target for outside attacks, malware, malfunction and are not essential for a DAP.

Calendar Storage
Call Log Backup/Restore
CallFeatureSetting
CameraExtensionsProxy
CarrierDefaultApp
Cell Broadcast Service
CneApp
com.android.carrierconfig
com.android.carrierconfig.overlay.common
com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver
com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver.overlay.common
com.android.imsserviceentitlement
com.android.ons
com.android.phone.overlay.common
com.android.server.telecom.overlay.common
com.android.smspush
Contacts Storage
MmsService
PowerOffAlarm
Print Service Recommendation
Print Spooler
Punch hole cutout
Speech Recognition and Synthesis from Google
Waterfall cutout

Maybe there are more apps which i overlooked.

Nobody needs cellphone apps on a DAP.

Fewer apps would also help with heath issues and longer battery life.
Will do so when i arrive back home.

What i can tell you rn is that i use an Access Point with WiFi4 & WiFi5

I used WiFi4 in the past the whole time and because i had once a day a WiFi disconnect from N30 (so i have to reconnect), i switched to WiFi5 recently.
Could be that the switch to WiFi5 coincide with the Mobile_Radio Bug
The bug persists even when switching back to WiFi4

The Mobile Radio process is a necessary process to keep your WiFi and Bluetooth going. It is true that most reports on the Mobile Radio Active problem are related to mobile phone function, but that doesn't mean the Mobile Radio process is a bloatware and we can remove the process just like that when the DAP does not have a sim card. You have proposed a long list of processes that you want to get rid of because they are unnecessary for DAP in your opinion. Unfortunately, we have to turn down your request because a lot of features are part of the Android service that is part of a total package. When we design N30LE (or any other open Android DAPs under Cayin brands), we need to provide a homogenous operation environment before we can pre-install Google Play into the DAP. Once we have Google Play in place, we have implied to all application developers that this device has a complete Android service and all third-party applications, as long as they are certified by Google Play, will be "operable" in this DAP.

Can we design a DAP that is free from all these non-DAP-related processes? Theoretically yes, but that means we need to go for a totally different approach. I'll try to explain the process to all users by adopting a simplified non-technical illustration.

We can operate the DAP under a closed system environment without the generic Google service, and then we create a white list for authorized third-party applications (i.e., a Cayin App Store or Marketplace). Cayin (and our solution provider) will need to verify which third-party apps are operable on this device. When the application issues an update, the user can't install that directly, because we are not sure if the updated version will introduce new features that involve the removed system process, so you can only install the update when we add the new version into the white list.

We are not saying this is not a technically feasible solution because obviously, some DAP brand has adopted this approach. However, each approach has its pros and cons, and at this point, Cayin opted for the open Android system approach which means we are keeping the complete Android service in place. We'll continue to optimize the system, but it is not going to be a dramatic cut like you suggested. Let's say your perception of DAP might be more specific and different from other users and as a manufacturer, we need to accommodate wider requests (and expectations). You'll be surprised how often we receive requests to optimize our DAP for YouTube, Podcast, mobile games (mostly video/audio sync problems), and even watching Netflix on the DAP.

As you have noticed by now, the Mobile Radio problem you have encountered is not a system-wide problem for all users. Most users didn't run into the Mobile Radio battery drain problem. We believe this is somehow related to the WiFi connectivity, that some WiFi settings will cause the Mobile Radio process to drain more battery than others, but let's find out whether this is a firmware-related instance since you noticed that the problem might have been triggered by the recent firmware update. You can download v1.1 firmware HERE and perform a manual firmware update, this will rollback the DAP back to v1.1, if the Mobile Radio problem disappeared after that, then we can confirm that your problem is firmware triggered and we'll examine the coding between v1.1 and V1.2 closely. If the Mobile Radio problem pop up at v1.1, then we need to focus on your WiFi setting and connectivity, maybe we need to try different WiFi setting in your router to figure out what could have caused this problem.

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #1,904 of 2,940
Did you compare them?? would love to hear your thoughts... especially if you have Odin to check it
Yes, I compared them very carefully without reading twister6 impressions before. But I can confirm these differences 100%.
I would only add that the N30LE AP has a slighty better handling regarding Over Ears like my Diana TC.
In general the N30LE in both versions is a beast of performance and especially for my EE Odin with OdetoLaura the AP version hits the sweet spot of immersive listening 🎶
To my mind It's all about synergy in this case as well.

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #1,905 of 2,940
but that doesn't mean the Mobile Radio process is a bloatware and we can remove the process just like that when the DAP does not have a sim card.
I understand your point but i did not said that the Mobile_Radio process is a bloatware.

It came to my attention that it drains battery and wanted to point it out for future firmware updates.

I am not an Android aficionado, but because of these bug, i did some research into the OS and found out that there are a lot of unnecessary processes that belong to a Cell Phone. I did not know that a full Android system is necessary to have the device Play Store certified. Weird Google things!

Let's say your perception of DAP might be more specific and different from other users and as a manufacturer, we need to accommodate wider requests (and expectations). You'll be surprised how often we receive requests to optimize our DAP for YouTube, Podcast, mobile games (mostly video/audio sync problems), and even watching Netflix on the DAP.
I get your point, but i have an other perspective.

You did a great job in designing the N30. Look and feel is unmatched in the DAP world. From a design and hardware perspective i compare the N30 to a race car (Porsche GT3 RS). When i buy a race car, i buy it for one specific thing. To take it to the race track. I dont buy a race car to go grocery shopping and complain afterwards to Porsche because it has a too small trunk or too less seats to accommodate my family. There are a lot of manufacturers out there to choose from when it comes to a family car.

There is also the other flip side of the coin, Luxury & Precision who has a more aggressive approach to the OS integration which i am also not a big fan off, because i rely mostly on streaming. I hope that Cayin finds a middle ground in between.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back