Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Oct 7, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #1,487 of 2,939
The charging “issue” is a necessary evil. It can’t charge any faster or it would add too much heat for it to dissipate, or cause the battery to degrade too quickly.

That’s said I have had no problem with running 60% volume, high gain, hyper mode, tubes on and charging at the same time. Battery does not drain, it just charging very very slowly.

It charged from 30% -> 50% in almost 2hrs. Is this normal? I am using the apple supplied usb-c cable with a 100w anker adapter.

Oct 7, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #1,488 of 2,939
It charged from 30% -> 50% in almost 2hrs. Is this normal? I am using the apple supplied usb-c cable with a 100w anker adapter.
AFAIK the USB-C cable from apple only support USB 2.0
Maybe that's why it take that long. Better use other USB cable or get one from anker.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #1,489 of 2,939
AFAIK the USB-C cable from apple only support USB 2.0
Maybe that's why it take that long. Better use other USB cable or get one from anker.
Was recently talking to someone with a similar problem where usb-c cable was a bottleneck since it didn't support high speed/current (PD) charging.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #1,491 of 2,939
I just received my N30LE today from the new batch and can confirm that I do not hear any of the hiss that was talked about in this thread. The sound combined with the A&K/VE Aura is simply addicting and such a great pairing. I also gave the EE Raven a try to compare, which had such sweet low end bass rumble. So far, i've only had a total of 1hr listening, and the A&K VE Aura and Raven are also new. I can't give you any fair comparison yet, but I can say that my abyss/wa33/may might be hibernating for a while.

One thing I forgot about since my N8 is how bad the UI is with the Cayin software. It does a really bad job recognizing the album art (some albums have it) and trying to sort by artist ends up showing you all the songs instead of albums first. At least they improved playlist support by letting you import m3u vs not even supporting it well before. Does anyone have any tips here on the UI? Switch to hiby?

Big thanks to @MusicTeck for being quick to ship it and the aura so quickly! They left NJ yesterday and got to me in CA by 11am this morning! Huge thumbs up on customer service.
I just received my N30LE today from the new batch and can confirm that I do not hear any of the hiss that was talked about in this thread. The sound combined with the A&K/VE Aura is simply addicting and such a great pairing. I also gave the EE Raven a try to compare, which had such sweet low end bass rumble. So far, i've only had a total of 1hr listening, and the A&K VE Aura and Raven are also new. I can't give you any fair comparison yet, but I can say that my abyss/wa33/may might be hibernating for a while.

One thing I forgot about since my N8 is how bad the UI is with the Cayin software. It does a really bad job recognizing the album art (some albums have it) and trying to sort by artist ends up showing you all the songs instead of albums first. At least they improved playlist support by letting you import m3u vs not even supporting it well before. Does anyone have any tips here on the UI? Switch to hiby?

Big thanks to @MusicTeck for being quick to ship it and the aura so quickly! They left NJ yesterday and got to me in CA by 11am this morning! Huge thumbs up on customer service.

Oct 8, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #1,492 of 2,939
Hello Timeslip

i am curious will you also write about VE Aura ? Or a comparison witn EE Raven maybe?
I have the Aura and I love them , for me the best IEMs I have ever heard but if course there are so many great ones and I didn’t had the chance to listen to all of them.

i am happy for everyone of you guys that are so happy with N30
congratulations on your purchases!
and to Cayin for creating such a special DAP!

Oct 8, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #1,493 of 2,939
Oct 8, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #1,494 of 2,939
How much better is the AP N30LE version? Everyone keeps on saying it's better, could you do a little summary of what you feel is better? Since, I am on the fence about it.
Unfortunately I won’t get a chance to hear them side-by-side, as I had to sell N30LE to afford AP. But I’ll try my best to note any differences I hear using my memory of it with my current IEM’s. 👍

Oct 8, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #1,495 of 2,939
How much better is the AP N30LE version? Everyone keeps on saying it's better, could you do a little summary of what you feel is better? Since, I am on the fence about it.
Also very curious on this as well, especially the pairing with Grand Maestro and other power hungry IEMs, not sure if AP version leans toward power hungry IEMs based on the description Andy provided earlier.

Oct 8, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #1,496 of 2,939

Was recently talking to someone with a similar problem where usb-c cable was a bottleneck since it didn't support high speed/current (PD) charging.
Hope this will help some here running into charging issues with any device
I work in the IT industry and have known for a long time there is a difference between USB-C cables and devices.
NOT all are created the same, and in many cases for cables and chargers there is a reason for the difference in price.

I don't mean go out and buy a $100 USB Cable (unless you honestly find a difference in sound/speed/quality) but more so, there is a reason some cables that are $2 or less expensive than another cable fails to work properly, and its not the device makers fault.
USB-C spec falls under a IEEE engineering spec, but it is a guideline, and the IEEE is not an enforcement body
For USB-C there is supposed to be a small microchip (in the PC industry referred to as the E-Marker) in the connector body that has the information of what that cable can pass for both data speed and power charging, that is the difference of USB-C certified or USB-C compliant, and why the difference in price.
This information chip is there so the device can use the fast charging feature and not damage itself or the battery, as well as reliably pass data at the highest speed.
If this emarker is not there, than the device will default to the slowest charging and data transfer speeds, which is why some are seeing issues with charging, or USB-C dongles not work with higher quality sound settings or "clip" with higher power usage.
If this information exists on your cable or charger, it can be read from a reader like the one below (in the included link below) that will show you IF that cable can pass power according to the Power Delivery (PD) or Quick Charge (QC) standards of the USB-C spec. Without this chip your device (PC, Android or IOS phone and yes all of our Audio devices) will default to a "trickle charge" profile and charge EXTREEMELY slow at best, and at worse will get damaged as the cable will allow surges and unclean power charging which will take its toll on battery life and electrical "shock" to components.

I personally have seen laptops charge from a battery with 1% of charge left to 90%+ in 30-40min, via a charger and cable that can comply with the PD/QC standards (FYI: These specs also call for the device to swtich to trickle charge from about 90% to 100% to complete the full charge cycle, and not overly stress the battery which is part of those standards)
I've seen the EXACT same laptop take 4-6 hours to charge to 80% because the cable or charger did NOT comply with the USB-C standards.
As Twister6 mentioned this is 100% because the cable or charger is the bottleneck

As mentioned here is a screen shot of the little device I use to check and reads the "e-marker" file on the cable connector or charger to show what it can support. (data and charge speed) in this screen shot below the test screen is showing the cable and charger meets the "active" (vs passive) Thunderbolt 4 spec (a subset of the USB-C standard) can pass 40gb/s speed on the cable AND the charger connected meets the Apple fast charging standard)
1696782073925.png

Do you all need to run out by this expensive little checker? No you don't (Especially if you know someone that has one)
I own it as it has settled discussions with customers who thought the PC sold to them had a problem, when the issue was the bargain basement cable or charger they purchsaed (and they are usually name brand chargers or cable, but they are clearly labeled as "compliant" and not "certified", which is a HUGE difference)
for me it was well worth the price of admission
This checker is available on Amazon, and other sites and price can vary from about $80-100, so shop around. There are other "small" USB-C checkers out there but they/most DO NOT have the "emarker" check feature, this so far is the lowest price one I've found that is small and does this check.
Here is a link to the manufacturer of this charger and they still refer people to go buy from Amazon, but I've seen on other etailer sites.
https://www.chargerlab.com/power-z-km002c-is-now-available-on-amazon/

I'm not supporting the sometimes OBSCENE prices some cable and charger companies place on these "certified" devices.
But I can also pass on and say there are MANY name brand companies who offer their products, meet the "certified" spec and are only a few bucks more in cost (like single digit cost increase)

I only mention this as early in both this forum and on the N8ii forum I've seen Andy mention using a quality charger and cable.
I've seen Twister6 also mention this on several of his DAP reviews, and in one of his reviews he mentions good results using a specific model from Anker as an example
Other reviewers I trust have mentioned similar findings using good quality chargers, even not form a name brand source

I put this info out hoping it can help those who running into issues and did not know the differences, and are worried their investment into a new DAP or similar was not a good one because of charging issues that might not be the fault of the DAP maker or even their own, it was just that no one told them there was a difference between cables and chargers.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #1,497 of 2,939
Hope this will help some here running into charging issues with any device
I work in the IT industry and have known for a long time there is a difference between USB-C cables and devices.
NOT all are created the same, and in many cases for cables and chargers there is a reason for the difference in price.

I don't mean go out and buy a $100 USB Cable (unless you honestly find a difference in sound/speed/quality) but more so, there is a reason some cables that are $2 or less expensive than another cable fails to work properly, and its not the device makers fault.
USB-C spec falls under a IEEE engineering spec, but it is a guideline, and the IEEE is not an enforcement body
For USB-C there is supposed to be a small microchip (in the PC industry referred to as the E-Marker) in the connector body that has the information of what that cable can pass for both data speed and power charging, that is the difference of USB-C certified or USB-C compliant, and why the difference in price.
This information chip is there so the device can use the fast charging feature and not damage itself or the battery, as well as reliable pass data at thie highest speed.
If this emarker is not there, than the device will default to the slowest charging and data transfer speeds, which is why some are seeing issues with charging, or USB-C dongles not work with higher quality sound settings or "clip" with higher power usage.
If this information exists on your cable or charger, it can be read from a reader like the one below (in the included link below) that will show you IF that cable can pass power according to the Power Deliver (PD) or Quick Charge (QC) standards of the USB-C spec. Without this chip your device (PC, Android or IOS phone and yes all of our Audio devices) will default to a "trickle charge" profile and charge EXTREEMELY slow at best, and at worse will get damaged as the cable will allow surges and unclean power charging which will take its toll on battery life and electrical "shock" to components.

I personally have seen laptops charge from a battery with 1% of charge left to 90%+ in 30-40min, via a charger and cable that can comply with the PD/QC standards (FYI: These specs also call for the device to swtich to trickle charge from about 90% to 100% to complete the full charge cycle, and not overly stress the battery which is part of those standards)
I've seen the EXACT same laptop take 4-6 hours to charge to 80% because the cable or charger did NOT comply with the USB-C standards.
As Twister6 mentioned this is 100% because the cable or charger is the bottleneck

As mentioned here is a screen shot of the little device I use to check and reads the "e-marker" file on the cable connector or charge to show what it can support. (data and charge speed) in this screen shot below the test screen is showing the cable and charger meets the "active" (vs passive) Thunderbolt 4 spec (a subset of the USB-C standard) can pass 40gb/s speed on the cable AND the charger connected meets the Apple fast charging standard)
1696782073925.png
Do you all need to run out by this expensive little checker? No you don't (Especially if you know someone that has one)
I own it as it has settled discussions with customers who thought the PC sold to them had a problem, when the issue was the bargain basement cable or charger they purchsaed (and they are usually name brand charges or cable, but they are clearly labeled as "compliant" and not "certified", which is a HUGE difference)
for me it was well worth the price of admission
This checker is available on Amazon, and other sites and price can vary from about $80-100, so shop around. There are other USB-C checkers out there but they DO NOT have the "emarker" check feature, this so far is the lowest price one I've found that is small and does this check.
Here is a link to the manufacturer of this charger and they still refer people to go buy from Amazon, but I've seen on other etailer sites.
https://www.chargerlab.com/power-z-km002c-is-now-available-on-amazon/

I'm not supporting the sometimes OBSCENE prices some cable and charger companies place on these "certified" devices.
But I can also pass on and say there are MANY name brand companies who offer their products, meet the "certified" spec and are only a few bucks more in cost (like single digit cost increase)

I only mention this as early in both this forum and on the N8ii forum I've seen Andy mention using a quality charge and cable.
I've seen Twister6 also mention this on several of his DAP reviews, and in one of his reviews he mentions good results using a specific model from Anker as an example
Other reviewers I trust have mentioned similar findings using good quality charges, even not form a name brand source

I put this info out hoping it can help those who running into issues and did not know the differences, and are worried their investment into a new DAP or similar was not a good because of charging issues that might not be the fault of the DAP maker or even their own, it was just that no one told them there was a difference between cables and chargers.
An excellent and informative post.

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #1,498 of 2,939
Hi all, Is there anyone that has the N30LE and LPGT Ti and could give a quick comparison between these for sound regarding bass, mids and treble... I love my LPGT Ti but there are times I would like a warmer source.
Many Thanks...

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #1,499 of 2,939
What's is your favourite IEM for N30LE?
Thinking of getting another pair of IEMs to compliment excellent in terms of soundstage and detail Z1R. Any suggestions? Happy to consider any price brackets, including flagships.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #1,500 of 2,939
What's is your favourite IEM for N30LE?
Thinking of getting another pair of IEMs to compliment excellent in terms soundstage and detail Z1R. Any suggestions? Happy to consider any price brackets, including flagships.
Thank you.
Given IER Z1R is bombastic and thunderous, I would look at austere or more neutral tuned iems.

Other than Amber Pearl IEM (my favorite IEM from CanJam SoCal)...some that come to mind is Aroma Audio Jewel, Subtonic Storm and Vision Ears Aura.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back