Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 24, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #5,506 of 6,262
Hi, right now im using my n3 as transport to oppo ha2se using usb output on n3. But when I change the equalizer in the n3 the sound output on the ha2se also changed.

I believe when using n3 as a transport the n3 will only transmit digital signal so the convertion and amplification will be done by ha2se. So if I can change the analog ouput in ha2se by changing the equalizer in n3, does this mean the signal went through n3 amplification and not bypassed to external dac/amp like ha2se?

CMIIW.
I'd like an answer for this as well as I know you can do this with optical out on A PC source too (retain EQ settings).

My understanding of this all was that the digital signal should not be able to be EQ'd solely by a digital source and has to be done by a DAC/amp, but at some point I guess coax/optical standards changed? I don't understand the technicalities, but it seems to me that if you're retaining EQ settings, then the source is somehow processing the signal from digital to analog and then back, which seems like it shouldn't be happening and defeats the purpose of using something only as a source if it has an inferior DAC/amp....

I don't fully understand it, but I've yet to see an explanation that makes sense to me on how this works or if the signal actually is being processed twice when the whole point was to avoid that.

Mar 25, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #5,507 of 6,262
https://headfonics.com/2017/04/the-n3-by-cayin/untitled-1-30/
As you can see in the linked diagram, the EQ is happening in a digital audio processor before the DAC. That way the EQ settings also have an influence on the digital output settings.
That works the same way with the iPhone, when you connect a DAC to the lifghtning connector, the EQ is also influencing the sound.

One advantage is that much more complex modifications are possible, like the mage 8 ball signal processor in the Hiby R3 and R6 is demonstrating. (look for MSEB towards the end of this page if you are interested: https://headfonics.com/2018/03/hiby-music-r3-review/2/)

Hope that clears up the situation a little bit! :)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #5,509 of 6,262
So I am using the iBasso It01 with the Cayin N3 and I like the sound, but was thinking: "should I add the Fiio A5 to the mix?". Will it give me a better sound?
I'm not sure what it would add that the N3 can't already do on high-gain. Are you not able to drive the it01s loud enough? The N3 handles my Pinnacle P1s well without any additional amping. Now a DAC/AMP on the other hand, would change the equation. I've run my N3 through both an XD-05 and a Q1 mk 2, and it gives me a different sound signature. But I quite like the N3 on its own, so I'm not sure I would necessarily say "better."

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #5,510 of 6,262
So I am using the iBasso It01 with the Cayin N3 and I like the sound, but was thinking: "should I add the Fiio A5 to the mix?". Will it give me a better sound?

output power for the A5 800 mW (32 Ohms / THD <1%)

for the Cayin N3 130mW @ 32Ω

the Ibasso is not high impedence

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #5,511 of 6,262
The detail description of our Type-C to RCA coaxial cable are as follow:
http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=101

You can buy this cable through your local Cayin dealer. Some of our dealers might not keep a regular stock on this cable because it is a specialized cable to bridge between our DAP with desktop product, but you should be able to place order with them. The cable is retailed at US$59. It might sound a bit expensive when consider the N3 is only US$149.99, but please be reminded that this coaxial cable will be used by all Cayin DAPs since 2016, so we have to make sure its is a decent cable for different price segment and is good enough to work with wide range of external DAC products. Cayin has gone through 4 rounds of prototype before we can find the lowest cost solution to build the Type-C to RCA Coaxial cable . We start with a lower budget and gradually works our way up in order to get something that works well, I have enclosed the first and second prototype for your reference:

Cayin make these cable to expand the connectivity of our DAPs, we hope our customers can utilize their DAP to full extend, we do make profit out of the cable, but not significant when you consider the MoQ and operation overhead required to deal with these cables, and I believe we are not on the expensive side when compare to other after-market cables.

For the benefit our our DAP users, we shall disclose the pin-out of the USB Type-C, and I can provide the basic instruction for your reference. We welcome users to DIY their cable solution if they have the resource and time for that, so here we go:

This is the standard pin-out diagram of Type-C, pin A8 and B8 are NOT USED for USB, so they are not allocated in normal application, and Cayin used this pin to transmit S/PDIF signal.

Normal Type C connectors are extremely difficult to because the pin are hided inside the connectors, and they were designed to factory fit by automated machines. You need to find special connectors that has all the pins extended to a small PCB. Make sure you check with the seller that pin A8 and B8 have been extended to the PCB before you pay for it, because these two pin are not used for USB, quite a lot of custom connectors will ignore these two pins.

Once you find the appropriate connector, the first thing you should do is to hard wired between A8 and B8, as illustrated below:

Then you should prepare your coaxial cable as follows, around 1.5cm bare connectors should be good enough for subsequent jobs. If you are new to DIY, we recommend you to cut off one RCA connector of a ready-make coaxial cable for this project, this will make sure you have the right kind of cable and you only need to work on one connectors, with the RAC connectors untouched. We also suggest you to put a heat-shrinkable tube into the coaxial cable before you start the soldering work.

You can now solder the coaxial cable to the A8 pin, and then the ground shielding to the ground pin of the PCB

Just heat up the heat-shrinkable tube to protect the connector, or better still install a USB connector cover if you can find that as well.

This cable is finished and ready for testing:

Dear Andy, could you please provide a link or info of where to get this USB-C connector with PCB for diy?
Thank you!

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #5,512 of 6,262
Mar 27, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #5,513 of 6,262
I have this same combo. I don't really see a benefit to adding the a5... In fact I think the n3 is better suited to driving these, they sound a bit more spacious direct from the n3 on low or medium gain.

The other thing to mention, with the a5 you'll lose your ability to EQ beyond the bass boost on the a5 when using the line out.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #5,514 of 6,262
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #5,520 of 6,262
I had a really weird thing happen last night with my N3. My husband wanted me to try some new buds of his with the N3 to see if it would drive them (they are 400 ohm). I was getting plenty of volume and enough bass with medium gain ( I usually use low gain with iems and buds). Something did not sound quite right though.

I started playing a song which has a certain sound way off to the left... and it was coming from the right! Checked to make sure I had the buds in right and that the cables were attached correctly. They were. So I told my husband that they had the channels reversed somehow. He did a check with a program online and said they were fine. So I tried one of my own buds and it was also reversed! Tried one of my headphones as well. Same problem. Checked all the N3 settings and nothing was set incorrectly... in fact, there is no setting to reverse the channels.

Well, standard tech advice is usually "have you turned it off and on again?" I rebooted the Cayin and everything went back to normal.

Has anyone ever had this happen? What could cause such a thing?

Meanwhile, I have no idea if I would have liked his buds or not. Now I have lost interest in trying them. I have enough of my own gear to enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back