Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 21, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #5,116 of 6,262
Is

I see essentially the same thing (on Ubuntu), but PulseAudio volume control correctly identifies it: "Cayin N3 Digital Stereo (IEC958)" on the "Digital Output (S/PDIF)" port.
The N3 immediately responded with 44.KHz/24Bits.

Were you able to stream audio from your Ubuntu Linux PC, to the N3?
Did it sound right, without any extraneous noises?
Thanks!

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #5,117 of 6,262
Were you able to stream audio from your Ubuntu Linux PC, to the N3?
Did it sound right, without any extraneous noises?
Thanks!

Yeah, sounds fine. There's a bit of a lag when watching youtube vids, but I believe everyone already knows about that.

Screenshot_20171221_205525.png

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #5,118 of 6,262
Yeah, sounds fine. There's a bit of a lag when watching youtube vids, but I believe everyone already knows about that.

I'm officially confused - since I installed the PulseAudio Volume Control on my Mint Linux system yesterday, but since I couldn't see or access the N3 with it, I uninstalled the program. BUT - I just now reinstalled the same PulseAudio Volume Control, and strangely enough - the N3 is showing up, and YouTube audio sounds just fine... :ksc75smile:

Dec 22, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #5,119 of 6,262
I'm officially confused - since I installed the PulseAudio Volume Control on my Mint Linux system yesterday, but since I couldn't see or access the N3 with it, I uninstalled the program. BUT - I just now reinstalled the same PulseAudio Volume Control, and strangely enough - the N3 is showing up, and YouTube audio sounds just fine... :ksc75smile:

I have reinstalled pavcontrol a dozen or so times and havent had any luck. :triportsad:

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #5,120 of 6,262
I have reinstalled pavcontrol a dozen or so times and havent had any luck. :triportsad:

EDIT: And then, this morning, it's back to not working again - N3 didn't show up as a DAC device (but does show up as a USB connected Storage device) --- until I pressed and held the Power Button on the N3, through a couple of boot cycles.

Well, I had installed, and then uninstalled, several different PulseAudio & ALSA programs (using the S/W installation program), and ended up with these -

(Photo taken w/Nexus 7 Tablet)
DSC_0004.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #5,122 of 6,262
I wonder how does the sound of this compared to LG v20? I prefer smartphone as my DAP but because of the v20 issues i'm considering a dedicated DAP.

What issues are you having with the v20? Is yours unlocked & rooted?

I haven't heard any of the high-end audio smartphones, but I believe the v20 is based on the Saber DAC, and the N3 is based on the AKM DAC - and people say that devices using the AKM DACs seem to have a warmer sound. This would obviously depend on the individual implementation of the devices.

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #5,123 of 6,262
I've had the HTC M8 H&K Edition, the LG V20, and the N3 so am in a pretty good position to compare. I had issues with the V20 too and went to the HTC m9 when I could trade it in. The v20 I found to be a bit colder and slightly less detail than the N3. I think the soundstage was a bit wider on the v20 but instrument separation and imaging are about equal.

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #5,124 of 6,262
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this was already discussed (couldn't find it), but I'm pairing my N3 with a Chord Hugo 2 using Cayin's own usb-c to coaxial cable.
PCM files seem to be recognized as expected (e.g., 24/192 is identified by Hugo), but DSD files are playing with the colour that matches 88.2 or 96 PCM resolution.

Any of you know the cause for this? My SPDIF configuration is set to DoP, and I can't find anything else to configure.

PS: would dsd only be possible through usb?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #5,125 of 6,262
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All N3 Users!

Thinking of you at holiday season with a wish that is warm and sincere.

Special appreciation for your concerns and cares during the year!

We are looking forward to continue the sound journey with you hand in hand in 2018.

upload_2017-12-25_10-41-42.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 25, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #5,127 of 6,262
Ìs there a lock button whereby it will lock the front buttons but not the side ones? So that i can place into my pocket and use the side to switch to next song?

Just turn the the display off with the power button, the front button will be off while the side ones will still be accessible

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #5,129 of 6,262
Ìs there a lock button whereby it will lock the front buttons but not the side ones? So that i can place into my pocket and use the side to switch to next song?
Go to System menu, turn on Lock screen option, and go back to the the playback function, when you black out the screen (time out, or press the power button once), the playback buttons (Next, play/pause, Prev) on the right side panel will be disabled.

N3 System Menu - Lock Screen.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 25, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #5,130 of 6,262
Go to System menu, turn on Lock screen option, and go back to the the playback function, when you black out the screen (time out, or press the power button once), the playback buttons (Next, play/pause, Prev) on the right side panel will be disabled.

Means i have to use the front panel buttons to navigate to next song?? Was hoping it would disable the front buttons and use right side to navigate via muscle memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back