Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 5, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #4,996 of 6,262
Hi,

I've had the Cayin N3 for over a week. Nice little player, though it's more tricky to navigate (for me) than the Fiio X1(Gen 1), due to the sensitive touch control areas and the small size of the center enter button. Plus having buttons on opposite sides of the player makes it tricky to operate with only one hand (compared again to the Fiio X1). Has anyone else mentioned how it would be more practical for playlist creation if the now playing screens "add to play list" icon indicated if a song/track had was already added to a playlist? (maybe by a simple icon colour change ). Also being able to name and save EQ presets ( rather than just one manual setting) would be nice as I could then name a preset according to whichever head/earphone the EQ was set for.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #4,997 of 6,262
Hi,

I've had the Cayin N3 for over a week. Nice little player, though it's more tricky to navigate (for me) than the Fiio X1(Gen 1), due to the sensitive touch control areas and the small size of the center enter button. Plus having buttons on opposite sides of the player makes it tricky to operate with only one hand (compared again to the Fiio X1). Has anyone else mentioned how it would be more practical for playlist creation if the now playing screens "add to play list" icon indicated if a song/track had was already added to a playlist? (maybe by a simple icon colour change ). Also being able to name and save EQ presets ( rather than just one manual setting) would be nice as I could then name a preset according to whichever head/earphone the EQ was set for.

Hi, thank you for your suggestion! For "add to play list" function, you could go to Playing now->click on Menu->add to my favorite. For EQ preset settings, N3 doesn't have keyboard so this function cannot be realized currently. Sorry for the inconvenience caused!

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 6, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #4,998 of 6,262
Thank you for the reminder. I usually do search first. I had forgotten that Andy had addressed this. We all need to remember that the search function works very well as long as you tick the box that says to search within this thread.

Yes, you are right, the search function works within this thread.:slight_smile:

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #4,999 of 6,262
We all need to remember that the search function works very well as long as you tick the box that says to search within this thread.

OT, but I just wish though that they would include an option to "Order by Most Recent" on the initial search screen (I find "by Relevance" to be next to useless). I know that you can click on "More.." and then do "Order by Most Recent", but then you can't search "within this thread"! D'oh. Fwiw, I have complained about this in the New Headfi Update thread, but no joy yet. If anyone else finds that irritating, please post about it that thread.

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #5,000 of 6,262
Want to make sure.
My cayin and android can connect with hibylink flawless, i can browse what now playing on n3 and also playlist selected.
What i not found yet, is browse by folder inside n3 (like browse based folder on n3).
What i found, is i can browse based on artist or song title or album, and option folder is like browse folder based inside android memory.
So anyone used folder explorer by hibylink inside n3? Or just me have messy song file lol.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #5,002 of 6,262
Couple of months back I asked for advice on an N3 that crackles very loudly. Turns out that there are several soldering defects on the board that go away when the device is hot. Unfortunately running on high impedance phones in a British winter does not keep it hot enough. Not sure how routine factory testing would pick this up.

I would still be interested in feedback as to whether anyone who has opened an N3 up found that the back was glued as well as clipped on?

Thanks for any advice.

Dec 7, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #5,003 of 6,262
Couple of months back I asked for advice on an N3 that crackles very loudly. Turns out that there are several soldering defects on the board that go away when the device is hot. Unfortunately running on high impedance phones in a British winter does not keep it hot enough. Not sure how routine factory testing would pick this up.

I would still be interested in feedback as to whether anyone who has opened an N3 up found that the back was glued as well as clipped on?

Thanks for any advice.
Andy from Cayin gave some instructions way back in the thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-297#post-13789042

He indicated it was only clipped on, but you might want to read the next couple of pages, because there were some people who tried to get it off and had some issues with the clips (order of release, IIRC). Seemed like at least a few opened theirs up, I don't have any issues and have no desire to do so -- it gives me flashbacks to opening up iPods and having to bend the metal to get them closed.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #5,005 of 6,262

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #5,006 of 6,262
Andy from Cayin gave some instructions way back in the thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-297#post-13789042

He indicated it was only clipped on, but you might want to read the next couple of pages, because there were some people who tried to get it off and had some issues with the clips (order of release, IIRC). Seemed like at least a few opened theirs up, I don't have any issues and have no desire to do so -- it gives me flashbacks to opening up iPods and having to bend the metal to get them closed.

Thank you for your quick answer!

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #5,007 of 6,262
Want to make sure.
My cayin and android can connect with hibylink flawless, i can browse what now playing on n3 and also playlist selected.
What i not found yet, is browse by folder inside n3 (like browse based folder on n3).
What i found, is i can browse based on artist or song title or album, and option folder is like browse folder based inside android memory.
So anyone used folder explorer by hibylink inside n3? Or just me have messy song file lol.

Hi, I tried to reproduce your issue on my side but sadly, I could open nothing on my andriod phone. It seems my phone has broken and need to repair. Would you mind recording your issue in a video and send to community@cayin.cn so that I can analyze it and see what can I do for you ?

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #5,008 of 6,262
I can't get my iPad to pair with N3 any more. I unpaired and started again and I get a message on the iPad saying that a certain code should be displayed on the N3 (which it isn't) and to press to confirm. When I confirm, the connection fails. Anyone else had this issue with an iOS device? Was hoping to finally try HiBy Link on iPad but now it looks like I can't.

EDIT: If I turn off HiBy Link I can pair with iPad straight away and the connection works fine but HiBy Link doesn't work at all.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #5,009 of 6,262
I can't get my iPad to pair with N3 any more. I unpaired and started again and I get a message on the iPad saying that a certain code should be displayed on the N3 (which it isn't) and to press to confirm. When I confirm, the connection fails. Anyone else had this issue with an iOS device? Was hoping to finally try HiBy Link on iPad but now it looks like I can't.

EDIT: If I turn off HiBy Link I can pair with iPad straight away and the connection works fine but HiBy Link doesn't work at all.
Damn! Same experience with iPhone 7. Was so excited to see Hiby Link available for iOS. How can Hiby release something that doesn’t work? They must have tested this????

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #5,010 of 6,262
Me too; as I posted earlier I thought once ios Hibylink appeared on Apples app list we were good to go. (I had downloaded the beta version a few weeks back but wouldn't install as Apple wouldn't let me install an (at that stage) unapproved app).
iPhone SE will (eventually) pair with N3. But, N3 won't pair with iPhone SE and Hibylink addon to Hibymusic goes into a continuous loop when looking for devices......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back