Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 1, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #4,951 of 6,262
Hi
First post my player arrived today and after giving it the once over formatted my 128 gb card and made 1 folder called music. Tried a couple of album's, all's well so far. Now tried to update with the custom firmware by putting the UPT file in with the music. Player says no file found?

Looks like I'm doing something wrong.

Help please
Don't put it in the music file. Just put it on your card and follow the update procedure. Delete it when it's done.

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #4,953 of 6,262
Hi, just update the firmware first to see what happens please. Any problem, please feel free to let me know again.
Seems to work just fine. I did give up on the audiobook thing, but that's something I suspected when I bought it because of the lack of bookmarks. If bookmarks and/or a way to lock the buttons are ever added via firmware, I will probably use it for everything and my other DAP can be a backup

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #4,954 of 6,262
Want to close the loop. Yes the supplied cable while good for charging can not be made to "see" the SD on ones PC. I bought a charger and 3 different cables and ALL of them work just fine. I hope Cayin considers shipping this otherwise fine package with a functional cable - my hairline can't really take any more pulling....

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #4,955 of 6,262
Hi
First post my player arrived today and after giving it the once over formatted my 128 gb card and made 1 folder called music. Tried a couple of album's, all's well so far. Now tried to update with the custom firmware by putting the UPT file in with the music. Player says no file found?

Help please

Yeah, it needs to be in the root directory (first or topmost directory in the hierarchy).

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #4,956 of 6,262
Hi

Help please

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #4,957 of 6,262

It is possible that the OS is case-sensitive.
Is the name of the file you put at the root of the memory card, called update.upt ?

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #4,958 of 6,262
Want to close the loop. Yes the supplied cable while good for charging can not be made to "see" the SD on ones PC. I bought a charger and 3 different cables and ALL of them work just fine. I hope Cayin considers shipping this otherwise fine package with a functional cable - my hairline can't really take any more pulling....
Yup, many of us have been there on the cable thing

Dec 2, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #4,959 of 6,262
Hi
Back again still not able to update player,

When player is connected to P.C. (windows 10) with the card in, there is no hierarchy to explore just my folder that I made called (music), if I'm missing some folders? can someone please tell me which folders to create and which goes in which order.

Tried putting the .UPT file in music folder with no result

Many thanks

Dec 2, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #4,960 of 6,262
I would start with a clean card, that "music" folder is a problem. The .upt file has to be in the root directory of the card or it won't work. And make sure the file name and extension are all lower case letters.

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #4,962 of 6,262
I hear what your saying, however there is "no root directory" I started with a clean card formatted with fat 32 and its completely empty

But you said that you put it a folder called music??? That is not root. Do not put it in any folder, just put it on the card. Use a card reader.

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #4,963 of 6,262
I hear what your saying, however there is "no root directory" I started with a clean card formatted with fat 32 and its completely empty
Remove the music folder. Just checking, but did you unzip the .upt file? The root directory of the card is not within any folder...it's the space on the card. Just put the .upt file on the card (not in any fold) and follow the update procedure.

I forget what size card you are using, but remove your music file and just put the update.upt file on your card. No folders are necessary, just that file.

Just in case:

Firmware upgrades procedure

1. For safety reason, please make sure the N3 DAP has not less than 50% battery power before you proceed, otherwise please charge up the player

before you upgrade the firmware

2. Download the latest firmware from Cayin website (www.cayin.cn). Decompress and copy the N3 firmware file (update.upt) into the root directory of a

TF card.

3. Insert the TF card into the N3 DAP and complete your firmware upgrade with either one of the following steps:

· While N3 has been turned on, select “System Setup” and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list, select “System Update”, the system will complete

the upgrade process automatically, and reboot the player after update is completed.

· While N3 has been turned off, hold the round physical “Enter” button, and then hold the “Power on/off” button, the system start the firmware upgrade

process and will complete the process automatically. It will reboot the player after update is completed.

Noe: N3 can support FAT/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS formatted TF card during the firmware upgrade process.

When the upgrade is completed, you can verify the current firmware version number by selecting “System Setting” menu, under “About the Player and storage information” option, check out the “Firmware Version” detail.

Attention

· Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade

· Please delete/remove the firmware file from the TF card after firmware upgrade

· Please update your Music Library after firmware upgrade

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #4,965 of 6,262
Not to sound like a total fanboy but I can't believe how great this DAP is! The sound quality is light years ahead of my old 160GB Ipod. I'm an acoustic bass player and I now dread the subway when I need to use my old Ipod... I'm considering adding the C5 to give the N3 a little more power to drive my HD 650's and my 450i's. Has anyone tried this combination? If so I'd love to hear how this worked. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back