Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Oct 20, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #4,487 of 6,262
Hi, thanks for the reply. The adapter works fine when I connected the N3 to my PC and N3 is detected as USB drive, so the N3 is detected the signal. I will try with another adapter later. I am using v2.1 firmware, do you have any Cayin support contact in Indonesia?

Connecting the N3 to a PC via the cable has the PC as host and the N3 as the guest. What you need the OTG cable for is to use the N3 as Host and the device on the other end of the cable as the guest. Unfortunately, using the cable to connect a pc to the N3 does nothing to show if the cable is an OTG cable as the communication is not the same.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #4,489 of 6,262
Hi, thanks for the reply. The adapter works fine when I connected the N3 to my PC and N3 is detected as USB drive, so the N3 is detected the signal. I will try with another adapter later. I am using v2.1 firmware, do you have any Cayin support contact in Indonesia?
You will need a usb c to micro usb otg cable to make it work. It will have to be an otg cable. A regular cable with adapter won't work because it is designed for other functions. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/MicroUSB-con...&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+c+to+micro+usb+otg+cable

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #4,490 of 6,262
Thanks for the info but I'm a bit confused as I'm using the Shanling L2 cable and it draws power from the N3.
That is always a problem. Try to find a cable which has 2 usb micro ports on DAC side sp that you can connect power bank to one of them and so no power is drawn from N3. This is something older hard drives which required separate/extra power deployed.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #4,491 of 6,262
Hi Andy, do you know if the next iteration of the N3 (whatever it's called) will support aptX in receive mode? Thanks.

In addition to listening to music on my daps, I enjoy streaming Tidal/Friskyradio etc from my phone (S7 exynos) to my wired headphones.

The N3 appeals to me because it would be one gizmo with great SQ that would handle playing onboard music as well as streaming Tidal/Frisky from my phone. But as per my query to Andy above, I am concerned that the lack of "aptX in receive mode" would affect the sound quality in a significant way.

Hence my question to anyone who streams Tidal/Spotify/Frisky etc from their phone to the N3: How is the sound quality? Do you think that "receving in aptX" is anything that I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #4,492 of 6,262
I removed the back from an N3 and broke some retention clips, so I'd like to emphasize @Andykong's warning about the fragility of some of the clips.

I see, finally learn how to described the clips properly: retention clips, I have edited my post by including this term, hopefully the post are more self-explanatory.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 21, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #4,493 of 6,262
Yes, and as well as switching from DAC to USB mode. Fatal error, blue screen, then Windows collected memory dump and, don't exactly remember, either the PC turned off itself or I shut it down by pressing power button. Windows 7 Pro x64, HP EliteBook 8560p, Cayin 1.2. I suspect this might be the cable, as quite a few users complained about it.

This is unlikely related to the cable problem. A bad cable will create unstable data transfer leading to unrecognized USB device, interference in the form of pop sounds, or termination of connection in the middle of operation. The "slave" device might be affected by the last issue (connection terminated unexpectedly) and cause it to freeze (waiting for re-connection), but the cable shouldn't cause a blue screen of the host device.

If this is an one-off problem, we probably won't be able to repeat it, and finding the root cause will be quite difficult. It might be a crash caused by the Windows device manager or related system features. May I suggest you change the USB mode of N3 either before you connect the DAP to the computer, or if you notice the issue after the connection, please disconnect N3 from your PC first, change the setting and connect again.

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #4,494 of 6,262
Back to the taking the back off topic. Thank you very much Andy Kong for images and sequence and implied need to tear off the leatherette finish. And, anyone actually doing it please note that the impressively large battery is glued to the back, so it only slides far enough to release the clips before you have to lift it off. Then there are the battery wires and another (fusible link?) wire to the panel.

But, (and here is the next question if Andy has infinite patience) at least in the one I have, the back is also glued on so in fact you can't slide it and have to pry it off. Is this normal? If not I am getting very suspicious about what my colleague was sold in HK.

In terms of working, yes it does work lying on its front with the back off and indeed sounds beautiful, but not when I try to put it back on (crackles again) so there is a board/dry connection/contamination problem. Will investigate further if I am brave enough to disconnect the battery, screen and touch panel.

Another question Andy - For those of us with less clips than we started with - do you sell the glass back panels?

Thanks everyone JV

Sorry, I have no idea about the fine details of product assembly at production line, I work at Hong Kong and Shenzhen office while the production line is located in Zhuhai, I can find out through other Engineer if this is important.

As Cayinsupport has responded, the temper glass back panel is not available for retail, it is an one-off limited production for the EN700Pro bundle, we only have a small amount left behind for warranty and service support right now.

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #4,495 of 6,262
Hi Andy, do you know if the next iteration of the N3 (whatever it's called) will support aptX in receive mode? Thanks.

Unfortunately that is very unlikely to happen. We have searched but we couldn't find any MCU chip/solution provider that has the apt-X in receive mode in place, and we don't have the budget to sponsor a MCU chip to develop this routine for our DAP specially.

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #4,496 of 6,262
Just bought the 3rd N3 in this household. Myself, wife and now daughter all have them. I can't give a much bigger endorsement.

My friend, that is the best endorsement we have on our N3 DAP.

How about this, show a picture of your family holding all three N3 DAP and tag CayinAudio on Facebook (you don't need to show your face, just the hands of your family), I'll give you one full set (5 colors) of N3 silicon cover plus a CS-40TC35 Type-C to 3.5mm "short" coaxial cable as the token to your support. :beerchug:

N3 Silicon Cases.jpg

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #4,497 of 6,262
You will need a usb c to micro usb otg cable to make it work. It will have to be an otg cable. A regular cable with adapter won't work because it is designed for other functions. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/MicroUSB-con...&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+c+to+micro+usb+otg+cable

Connecting the N3 to a PC via the cable has the PC as host and the N3 as the guest. What you need the OTG cable for is to use the N3 as Host and the device on the other end of the cable as the guest. Unfortunately, using the cable to connect a pc to the N3 does nothing to show if the cable is an OTG cable as the communication is not the same.

Its a micro usb to micro usb OTG cable I used to pair my ha2se with my phone and it works. Now I use an adapter with my OTG cable and it is not working with my n3.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #4,498 of 6,262
My friend, that is the best endorsement we have on our N3 DAP.

How about this, show a picture of your family holding all three N3 DAP and tag CayinAudio on Facebook (you don't need to show your face, just the hands of your family), I'll give you one full set (5 colors) of N3 silicon cover plus a CS-40TC35 Type-C to 3.5mm "short" coaxial cable as the token to your support. :beerchug:

Next time kiddo is home from School (probably Christmas break), we will get a snap with all of us with the N3.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #4,499 of 6,262
Its a micro usb to micro usb OTG cable I used to pair my ha2se with my phone and it works. Now I use an adapter with my OTG cable and it is not working with my n3.

my bet would be on the adapter not being wired correctly to support OTG. I'd get an OTG Cable with the correct connectors rather than trying to use the adapter.

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #4,500 of 6,262
I would add that the N3 is a very finicky with cables. Neither of my N3s worked with the supplied cables other than for charging so I had to buy an Anker cable. I'd strongly recommend a true usb c otg cable like I linked in my other post rather than your adapter setup. It's not like the otg cable is uber expensive and would probably resolve your issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back