Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Oct 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #4,456 of 6,262
I was curious to see inside and I'd successfully opened a few smartphones before, so I thought I'd give it a try. Didn't work out so well because I released the clips in the incorrect sequencer.
Oh. I was hoping it was something cool, like you found an uber-mod that'd make the N3 sing like the angels:ksc75smile:

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #4,457 of 6,262
Oct 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #4,458 of 6,262
Oh. I was hoping it was something cool, like you found an uber-mod that'd make the N3 sing like the angels:ksc75smile:

No way, bro. I'm not up to desoldering and modding DAPs. I wish, but no...

Why do you want to compare a DAP to a DAC?

Prolly because the person could see either product filling their needs...

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #4,460 of 6,262
No way, bro. I'm not up to desoldering and modding DAPs. I wish, but no...

Prolly because the person could see either product filling their needs...

If you need a DAP then buy a DAP. If you need a DAC then buy a DAC. I believe in the right product for the job. Or just keep using your s***y phone DAC. :iphone:

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #4,461 of 6,262
If you need a DAP then buy a DAP. If you need a DAC then buy a DAC. I believe in the right product for the job. Or just keep using your s***y phone DAC. :iphone:

It's fine that you believe that, but it doesn't mean everyone else believes that. I'm a big fan of dedicated DAPs, but some people really just need a mini smartphone DAC/Amp like DFR to provide higher quality deciding and amplification stages for streaming services like Tidal. In those cases, I've steered them away from DAPs every though I personally prefer DAPs. Different strokes for different folks, bro...

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #4,462 of 6,262
I think if you're only comparing SQ it's a fair question. I haven't heard the DFR, but I would think the N3 will have more power and finesse. Then again I could be wrong :)

I haven't compared DFR to N3, but I have compared it to N5 and found them pretty similar with N5 slightly edging out DFR. If all you need is a small device to allow higher quality decoding and amplification than your smartphones or laptop can provide for streaming services, something like AudioQuest DFR, Cayin C5DAC, Opus #11, or Shanling UP are good choices.

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #4,463 of 6,262
It's fine that you believe that, but it doesn't mean everyone else believes that. I'm a big fan of dedicated DAPs, but some people really just need a mini smartphone DAC/Amp like DFR to provide higher quality deciding and amplification stages for streaming services like Tidal. In those cases, I've steered them away from DAPs every though I personally prefer DAPs. Different strokes for different folks, bro...

Um isn't that the right product for the job?

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #4,464 of 6,262
Back to the taking the back off topic. Thank you very much Andy Kong for images and sequence and implied need to tear off the leatherette finish. And, anyone actually doing it please note that the impressively large battery is glued to the back, so it only slides far enough to release the clips before you have to lift it off. Then there are the battery wires and another (fusible link?) wire to the panel.

But, (and here is the next question if Andy has infinite patience) at least in the one I have, the back is also glued on so in fact you can't slide it and have to pry it off. Is this normal? If not I am getting very suspicious about what my colleague was sold in HK.

In terms of working, yes it does work lying on its front with the back off and indeed sounds beautiful, but not when I try to put it back on (crackles again) so there is a board/dry connection/contamination problem. Will investigate further if I am brave enough to disconnect the battery, screen and touch panel.

Another question Andy - For those of us with less clips than we started with - do you sell the glass back panels?

Thanks everyone JV

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #4,465 of 6,262
Um isn't that the right product for the job?

Whatevs, bro. If the dude wants a comparison between two products to make an informed decision, who are you to diss that dude and people who try to help them out? And why not just stay silent if you don't have anything helpful or informative to say?

Mods, please feel free to delete this at will if you think I'm being too forward...

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #4,466 of 6,262
Hi
Plz comparison n3 vs dragonfly red in term of SQ.
Tnx

Why do you want to compare a DAP to a DAC?

to be honest, i also want to know. because i use the n3 as a bluetooth dac for spotify 80% of the time, and the DFR kinda work the same purpose ☺️

I haven't compared DFR to N3, but I have compared it to N5 and found them pretty similar with N5 slightly edging out DFR. If all you need is a small device to allow higher quality decoding and amplification than your smartphones or laptop can provide for streaming services, something like AudioQuest DFR, Cayin C5DAC, Opus #11, or Shanling UP are good choices.

thanks for the impression. btw, have you compared the n5 to the n3? from a few reviews I've read, they seem to reach almost the same consensus that the n3 is similar sounding to i5 (but arguably with less powerful amp) , and that the i5 is better than the n5

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #4,467 of 6,262
I read that N3 can also be used as a USB DAC, maybe that's why the other poster was asking? Also, I hooked up a DAC to my phone and also used USB Audio Player Pro. No separate DAP needed, unless you really want one.

Just read that it can be used as a BT amp/DAC too.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,468 of 6,262
to be honest, i also want to know. because i use the n3 as a bluetooth dac for spotify 80% of the time, and the DFR kinda work the same purpose ☺️

thanks for the impression. btw, have you compared the n5 to the n3? from a few reviews I've read, they seem to reach almost the same consensus that the n3 is similar sounding to i5 (but arguably with less powerful amp) , and that the i5 is better than the n5

I haven't heard DFR in quite awhile. When I auditioned it, it was a trade between myself and another experienced HeadFi'er to see how we each liked each other's gear. I enjoyed DFR but not as much as my N5. The other guy sold off his DFR and purchased an N5. That says something, right?

Regarding N3 vs i5, while they have similar sound signature I do find i5 superior in sound (extension, detail, soundstage, etc.).

Regarding N3 vs N5, I haven't explicitly compared them. I do really enjoy N5's warm yet detailed sound. It's certainly not a neutral or analytical / reference type sound, but it certainly is enjoyable. I also really like N5's unique design and two mSD slots. So for me, I'd take N5 over N3 but I'd take i5 over N5 for i5's more refined sound. Hope that helps a bit.

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #4,469 of 6,262
Whatevs, bro. If the dude wants a comparison between two products to make an informed decision, who are you to diss that dude and people who try to help them out? And why not just stay silent if you don't have anything helpful or informative to say?

Mods, please feel free to delete this at will if you think I'm being too forward...

It is news to me that I was dissing anyone for asking a simple question. If they took it that way then bad on me.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #4,470 of 6,262
Hi, I got a problem here nothing happened when I connect the N3 with oppo ha2se via usb out. Before purchasing mine I tried with the demo unit and when I connected the ha2se it says "audio device connected" and works fine. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back