Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Oct 12, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #4,367 of 6,262
Hi Can I connect my n3 to my denon avr x2000 av receiver what kind of cable and setting should I make thank you so much

Apparently the only way to connect N3 to AVR-X2000 is throught the line out of N3, and you'll need a 3.5" TRS to 2xRCA adapter cable to complete the connection. The cable should be available in most hardware store, it will work, but I don't think the result will be very good, one of the reason being the N3 is not designed to use as a desktop device, and the line out at 1Vrms is significantly lower then standard analogue output on desktop audio equipment. It will play but don't expect very good result.

The AVR-X2000 only accept Toslink as digital input, there is no USB or Coaxial input in the back panel.

There is an USB connector in the front panel but Denon declared that as an iPod/iPhone connection and apparently this USB port does not support other USB audio devices. You can connect USB memory such as thumb drive to this USB port but:
Denon does not guarantee that all USB memory devices will operate or receive power....

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2100W/NA/EN/GFNFSYuwtnwjcp.php

Conne%20USB%20Front%20AVRX2100W_SEHFILcxxbjnon.png

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 12, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #4,368 of 6,262
Apparently the only way to connect N3 to AVR-X2000 is throught the line out of N3, and you'll need a 3.5" TRS to 2xRCA adapter cable to complete the connection. The cable should be available in most hardware store, it will work, but I don't think the result will be very good, one of the reason being the N3 is not designed to use as a desktop device, and the line out at 1Vrms is significantly lower then standard analogue output on desktop audio equipment. It will play but don't expect very good result.

The AVR-X2000 only accept Toslink as digital input, there is no USB or Coaxial input in the back panel.

There is an USB connector in the front panel but Denon declared that as an iPod/iPhone connection and apparently this USB port does not support other USB audio devices. You can connect USB memory such as thumb drive to this USB port but:

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2100W/NA/EN/GFNFSYuwtnwjcp.php

Conne%20USB%20Front%20AVRX2100W_SEHFILcxxbjnon.png
Thank you so much for the reply

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #4,370 of 6,262
Ive had the same issue with my Sony AV receiver, the front USB port does not see the n3 at all. I went with the line out to RCA option and it sounds great to me, the cable was only £3 or so

I also have a Sony receiver and my Sony A17 can be plugged in via USB and used as a mass storage device. But I tend not to use it as the sound quality isn't great and I typically use LDAC to stream to my receiver and the sound quality is much better. Also the interface on the Sony receiver when plugging in via USB is terrible and very limited in its functionality. I can view the Sony receiver interface on my television through HDMI. You are better off going with the RCA cable option in my opinion for better sound quality and usability.

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #4,371 of 6,262
Assuming it's kosher to ask here (let me know if it's not), does anyone have comparisons to the Shanling M3s yet? I'm mainly interested in SQ, but any other significant differences would be great to hear as well. Thanks.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #4,373 of 6,262
Hello good folks,

My apologies as this has most likely been covered to death, but I am considering picking up the new Ifi Nano Black Label or the RHA Dacamp to stack with my N3. I am having difficulty working out what kind of cable I need.

Could anyone advise if this would be suitable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10CM-3-5m...862197?hash=item2a70aab575:g:1VoAAOSwGtRX1meN

Or point me in the direction of the cable I need. I am in the UK which may complicate things a little.

Cheers.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #4,374 of 6,262
I also have a Sony receiver and my Sony A17 can be plugged in via USB and used as a mass storage device. But I tend not to use it as the sound quality isn't great and I typically use LDAC to stream to my receiver and the sound quality is much better. Also the interface on the Sony receiver when plugging in via USB is terrible and very limited in its functionality. I can view the Sony receiver interface on my television through HDMI. You are better off going with the RCA cable option in my opinion for better sound quality and usability.
Yeah, and it means I dont need the TV on, I can just sit on the sofa and control the n3 with hiby link on my phone

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #4,375 of 6,262
Any advice on taking the back off an N3? A colleague was so impressed by the N3 he got me one in HK (he got an i5), but by the time it arrived home all it managed to do was crackle incredibly loudly then stop making any sound at all (both cans and line out options, most other functions seem OK except for the play menu on the touch screen). From this forum I understand that Cayin does not operate international warranty, so the only option is to look inside for a loose connector.
Since taking the back off seems to be what has to be done for battery replacement it should be achievable without breaking anything? So, Is the back only held on by clips round the edge, or are there screws under the leatherette backing? Any advice gratefully received. After all the good reviews I want to hear this thing.

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #4,376 of 6,262
Hi everyone,

I just received my N3, and I am very happy with the sound so far (sounds great with MeeAudio Pinnacle PX).

I have some serious issues using it as a USB DAC on my Windows 10 PC, however. It works perfectly on my MacBook, but when connected to Windows as a DAC, I get very static-y sound that stutters and speeds up and down. I have tried messing with the latency and streaming mode in the Cayin control panel of the ASIO driver, as well as reinstalling the driver with the player installed, restarting my PC, as well as changing the sampling rate and bit depth in the Windows sound settings, all to no avail.

This is one of the main reasons I bought the player, so it is very disappointing to have issues like this.

If anyone has had a similar issue or knows whats wrong, please let me know. If I figure it out myself, I will post back here.

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #4,377 of 6,262
Hello good folks,

My apologies as this has most likely been covered to death, but I am considering picking up the new Ifi Nano Black Label or the RHA Dacamp to stack with my N3. I am having difficulty working out what kind of cable I need.

Could anyone advise if this would be suitable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10CM-3-5m...862197?hash=item2a70aab575:g:1VoAAOSwGtRX1meN

Or point me in the direction of the cable I need. I am in the UK which may complicate things a little.

Cheers.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #4,379 of 6,262
Assuming it's kosher to ask here (let me know if it's not), does anyone have comparisons to the Shanling M3s yet? I'm mainly interested in SQ, but any other significant differences would be great to hear as well. Thanks.

Actually Shanling has just issued a recall for the M3S as there is a software issue involving the bluetooth antennae losing its connection. So far only dealers in Asia have the M3S for sale so you may have to wait a bit for comparisons

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #4,380 of 6,262
Hi everyone,

I just received my N3, and I am very happy with the sound so far (sounds great with MeeAudio Pinnacle PX).

I have some serious issues using it as a USB DAC on my Windows 10 PC, however. It works perfectly on my MacBook, but when connected to Windows as a DAC, I get very static-y sound that stutters and speeds up and down. I have tried messing with the latency and streaming mode in the Cayin control panel of the ASIO driver, as well as reinstalling the driver with the player installed, restarting my PC, as well as changing the sampling rate and bit depth in the Windows sound settings, all to no avail.

This is one of the main reasons I bought the player, so it is very disappointing to have issues like this.

If anyone has had a similar issue or knows whats wrong, please let me know. If I figure it out myself, I will post back here.

Thanks!

Are you using the 4.0 drivers? <search this thread, @Andykong posted them. not sure if they made it to Cayin's site>. Supposedly they fix some Win 10 issues. I have a completely different problem, but since yours doesn't occur on the Mac, I'd guess it has to be a driver problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back