Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jun 6, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #2,342 of 6,262
I have a silly question: How do use the Cayin as a DAC with the PC. I have installed the driver but the manual is scarce in that area. I also inserted a 8GB card in order to test the player, but there is no spring release it seems and I would really like to know how can I extract it without breaking anything. Thanks.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #2,343 of 6,262
I have been using i5 and N3 for the past 6 months. I love their SQ, but I have a question. I keep hearing 'pop' or 'klik' sound between songs. Is there anything I can do to eliminate this, or this is normal in Cayin's products? I don't hear this in Onkyo, Fiio or Opus products.

Besides, if I play ISO, some of the songs in this ISO file cannot be played till finish. It will jump to next songs. Does anyone encounter this as well?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #2,344 of 6,262
Can anyone with the leather case comment on whether it prevents accidental button presses? I've had my N3 for about an hour and I can already tell it's not happy in a pocket, I keep hitting something that drops the bluetooth connection or pauses the music. Other than that issue it's totally awesome.

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #2,345 of 6,262
Yet, is it possible ? Usb audio out works on my smartphone, would it work with the N3 ?

The USB Audio out of Android phones has many differences between each other,so we cannot 100%guarrante that our N3 can work with your phone. This is the reason why we officailly decalre that N3 DAC cannot support Android.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #2,346 of 6,262
I have had the N3 for a couple days now on the tour and am really impressed for the most part. The one little annoyance I am finding is I wish the buttons were more tactile as with the buttons for volume and track change opposite each other I keep changing songs while trying to adjust volume. Probably just me being clumsy, but it would be nice if it was easier to operate one handed as when I do my thumb sits on the track forward button while adjusting the volume.

Appreciate your kind feedback.Currently, it is impossible to revise N3 but I will make a record of it for a reference of other products in the future.

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #2,347 of 6,262
I have a silly question: How do use the Cayin as a DAC with the PC. I have installed the driver but the manual is scarce in that area. I also inserted a 8GB card in order to test the player, but there is no spring release it seems and I would really like to know how can I extract it without breaking anything. Thanks.

The USB-DAC function of N3 DAP is conformed to USB Audio Class 2. If you were to use an iOS or Linux device with N3, you shouldn't need a USB driver because these system has included an USB Audio Class 2 drivers already. If you were to use it with Window based device, you'll need an USB Audio Class 2 Drivers, and you can download this driver from the following link:

Cayin Universal USB Audio Driver V3.30.0 (For Windows 7 and above)

Cayin Universal USB Audio Driver V2.29.0(For Windows XP and Vista)

We call this "Universal USB Driver" because this USB driver will work for ALL Cayin USB-based products, bit it desktop DAC or portable DAPs.
The download page has provided detail installation instruction to install the driver, please make sure you have downloaded the correct version of USB Audio Driver according to your Windows system. For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 users, please download and install the V3.30.0 USB Audio driver.

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #2,348 of 6,262
I have been using i5 and N3 for the past 6 months. I love their SQ, but I have a question. I keep hearing 'pop' or 'klik' sound between songs. Is there anything I can do to eliminate this, or this is normal in Cayin's products? I don't hear this in Onkyo, Fiio or Opus products.

Besides, if I play ISO, some of the songs in this ISO file cannot be played till finish. It will jump to next songs. Does anyone encounter this as well?

Thanks.

Do you listen to music by shuffle or playlist mode? For there are frequent format changes in these two modes. Also, are your ISO file songs working fine with the other players?

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #2,349 of 6,262
Do you listen to music by shuffle or playlist mode? For there are frequent format changes in these two modes. Also, are your ISO file songs working fine with the other players?
I either play by "Songs" and shuffle all songs across folders, or play the ISO directly. This problem happens in both ways.
This problem only happens on N3, not on i5 or other players.

Jun 7, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #2,350 of 6,262
Can anyone with the leather case comment on whether it prevents accidental button presses? I've had my N3 for about an hour and I can already tell it's not happy in a pocket, I keep hitting something that drops the bluetooth connection or pauses the music. Other than that issue it's totally awesome.
It has completely stopped accidental pocket button presses since the buttons are recessed in the cutouts instead of being raised with no case or the silicone sleeve.

Jun 7, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #2,351 of 6,262
On top of the USB Audio option, you can also connect N3 to Mojo through a special Type C to 3.5mm coaxial cable, we are working on this cable right now, and expect to received a prototype by mid June. The sample I showed below is a modded version of the 1m Type C to RCA coaxial cable, the cable is too tough (thick) to bend in sharp corners hence we need to test new connectors and cable material before we can mass produce this short Type C Coaxial cable.

Regarding the volume and EQ control in digital output, we shall revise the digital output setting in near future, all digital output will be fixed at "native volume" eventually.

Thank you for both replies. Very interested in that cable.

For the time being can someone direct me to an alternative cable i can use with the n3 and mojo.

Jun 7, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #2,352 of 6,262
It has completely stopped accidental pocket button presses since the buttons are recessed in the cutouts instead of being raised with no case or the silicone sleeve.
The latest firmware, with the lock screen option enabled, stops accidental button presses in the pocket (at least I haven't had any problems in that respect).

EDIT: Sorry, that was supposed to be a reply for vessel.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,353 of 6,262
Something seems to be wrong with my N3 today. The screen kept getting distorted, it was filling up with lines and becoming unreadable. Now it just turns dark gray and doesn't display anything. It still works and sounds great but even after turning it off and on it won't display anything now. Any have ideas about how to fix it? I'd hate to have to return it.

EDIT: now it doesn't work at all. If I turn it off it turns right back on, either with a distorted screen or a dark gray background. This really sucks, I just got it last night and it is already dead.

More edit: If I hit the button at the right time while it's rebooting itself I can get it to run the firmware updater. The screen starts distorting within a few seconds though. No change after the firmware updater reboots it. Tried both 1.1 and 1.2 firmwares. Interestingly, it has connected to my phone via bluetooth and I can play music through it, still sounds great. Without a working screen I can't really use it though. I am super disappointed, I guess I got a defective unit.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,354 of 6,262
Something seems to be wrong with my N3 today. The screen kept getting distorted, it was filling up with lines and becoming unreadable. Now it just turns dark gray and doesn't display anything. It still works and sounds great but even after turning it off and on it won't display anything now. Any have ideas about how to fix it? I'd hate to have to return it.

EDIT: now it doesn't work at all. If I turn it off it turns right back on, either with a distorted screen or a dark gray background. This really sucks, I just got it last night and it is already dead.

More edit: If I hit the button at the right time while it's rebooting itself I can get it to run the firmware updater. The screen starts distorting within a few seconds though. No change after the firmware updater reboots it. Tried both 1.1 and 1.2 firmwares. Interestingly, it has connected to my phone via bluetooth and I can play music through it, still sounds great. Without a working screen I can't really use it though. I am super disappointed, I guess I got a defective unit.

I had my screen go dark and funky one time. Cured by hitting the reset button. I've had no issues since. Sounds like yours is a bit more problematic, though. :triportsad: Sometimes defects slip through any QC, unfortunately.

Jun 7, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #2,355 of 6,262
I forgot about the reset button. I just hit it with a needle and the screen now displays a background image without distortion but never actually boots into a menu. Eventually the screen turns gray and won't display anything again until it's rebooted. The front buttons vibrate again now too. I guess that's progress?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back