Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jun 8, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,371 of 6,262
Try using the tip of a ballpoint pen, push on the card - it should click when the latch releases and then the spring will push the card out. I've seen some cards made poorly, especially the off-branded ones, where the lock notch wasn't the right size or had manufacturing garbage and it prevented the latch from unlocking cleanly.

I got it, finally. With a cutter (!) But I destroyed the 64Gb SanDisk SD card in the process... I was really upset. So I put a 256Gb SD card instead (from another brand). No need to eject the card before a long time I hope.

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2,372 of 6,262
I have a question for CayinSupport (or anyone else who might know). What type of glass has been used for the display. I was hoping it was some type of Gorilla Glass but the fact there's no mention of it in the specs would seem to indicate otherwise. The reason I am asking is because I really hate putting protective film on my electronic devices - they look awful after just a couple of days, with scratches and smears etcetera. With my iPads and phones I never bother and they don't get scratched but I don't know how tough the glass is on this unit? Be very grateful for any clarification I can get.

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #2,373 of 6,262
After being on for a few hours playing some FLACs my N3 has begun exhibiting similar behavior to what it did previously - I woke it up and it displayed a gray image instead of the normal menus, I turned it off and it did stay off, but when I turned it back on the screen distorted within about 20 seconds. I turned it off and back on again and the display held for about a minute before getting distorted again. I do not have a tool to reset it currently but I will ASAP without the TF inserted.
Thanks for the suggestion. Quick update on where things are at:

After leaving the N3 running until it's battery ran down so it turned off for real (remember, it would only reboot when turned off) I then tried to turn it on - it briefly powered up and booted normally without screen distortion and then turned itself off with a low battery notice. I then charged it for about 1 hour - it turned on and booted normally without any distortion and now has a 69% charge. I've been able to wake it back up from sleep too, everything about it seems to be working correctly now. I am going to continue testing it throughout the day, and upgrade it to the 1.2 firmware. At this time, I'm not confident it is really "fixed", but if it continues behaving properly for the next few days I'll definitely just keep it rather than try to get a replacement. If the problem reoccurs I will try doing a reset of it without the TF in it - I've only reset it with it in so far. If that doesn't fix it, I will let it drain its battery again and see if that restores it to normal function again.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!
In this case, you can contact your retailer to do a replacement to do a replacement

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 9, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #2,374 of 6,262
I did the same thing, but soldering the pad to the socket so that I could still use the USB-C. However, the problem is that those cheap pads are only 1A and charge slower than crap. I've also noticed some high frequency noise from the charge process bleeding through to the amp.

When I get some free time, I'm about to build a 2A Qi circuit from a raw coil and install the assembly with a modified case back.
Hi Docholliday,
I have checked today and even on maximum gain and volume to maximum I don't have any noise from the Qi charger.
Perhaps it is because of the way you have connected the antenna, or because of your charger.
If you use a higher current to charge you will certainly obtain more noise.
My Qi charger is giving 1A. So the antenna I put is exited with 1A and gives about 800mA on the USB-C. For me it is OK. It is better than connecting it to my computer (500mA).
I don't use a lot the USB-C because I have a big TF card with all my music.
One advantage of this solution is also to protect the USB-C connector from the dust.
It would be interesting to know if it works OK with 2A so if you do it do not hesitate to give the result here :wink:
Regards
Jerome.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #2,375 of 6,262
Hey guys, i'm between getting this DAP or the fiio's x3ii to use with my DT990's. I already tried these cans with an e17k and i liked the sound a lot, specially with the bass meter to the max, thats why im looking at x3ii, since a lot of people say they have similar sound, and also as a bass setting. I really like the cayin n3 but will it be able to power my dt990's? And how can i increase its bass if i find it necessary? Only thro EQ right?

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #2,376 of 6,262
I have a question for CayinSupport (or anyone else who might know). What type of glass has been used for the display. I was hoping it was some type of Gorilla Glass but the fact there's no mention of it in the specs would seem to indicate otherwise. The reason I am asking is because I really hate putting protective film on my electronic devices - they look awful after just a couple of days, with scratches and smears etcetera. With my iPads and phones I never bother and they don't get scratched but I don't know how tough the glass is on this unit? Be very grateful for any clarification I can get.

The tour unit arrived at my house with a 2mm scratch at the top middle of the display. it is in an area that doesn't particularly impact the function of the device, but I can tell you for a fact the glass is scratch prone.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #2,377 of 6,262
Hey guys, i'm between getting this DAP or the fiio's x3ii to use with my DT990's. I already tried these cans with an e17k and i liked the sound a lot, specially with the bass meter to the max, thats why im looking at x3ii, since a lot of people say they have similar sound, and also as a bass setting. I really like the cayin n3 but will it be able to power my dt990's? And how can i increase its bass if i find it necessary? Only thro EQ right?

You don't mention which 990 you have. I think either the N3 or the X3 would be overmatched with the 250 ohm Pro model but both will do fine with the 32 ohm standard 990.

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #2,379 of 6,262
Hi Docholliday,
I have checked today and even on maximum gain and volume to maximum I don't have any noise from the Qi charger.
Perhaps it is because of the way you have connected the antenna, or because of your charger.
If you use a higher current to charge you will certainly obtain more noise.
My Qi charger is giving 1A. So the antenna I put is exited with 1A and gives about 800mA on the USB-C. For me it is OK. It is better than connecting it to my computer (500mA).
I don't use a lot the USB-C because I have a big TF card with all my music.
One advantage of this solution is also to protect the USB-C connector from the dust.
It would be interesting to know if it works OK with 2A so if you do it do not hesitate to give the result here :wink:
Regards
Jerome.

It's better for lithium-based rechargeable batteries to charge them with as low of a current as possible anyways. 1A is perfect.

Sure, higher input amps charges the battery faster, but the cost of this increased convenience is a reduction in the number of total charge cycles as well as a shorter overall battery life.

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #2,380 of 6,262
The tour unit arrived at my house with a 2mm scratch at the top middle of the display. it is in an area that doesn't particularly impact the function of the device, but I can tell you for a fact the glass is scratch prone.
Thanks very much. That's a shame then - the protective film/plastic that came with it looked terrible just a few hours after I started using the device. I guess I could buy some sheets of the type of protective film people use on iPads and cut it into sections that will fit. That type of film doesn't seem to scratch so quickly.

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #2,381 of 6,262
Just a quick check in regards to whether the N3 are able to show just song title naming only as per metadata? After going through the Artist, then Album, then Song directory.
Cause I'm just really puzzled why they are showing my full physical file name, rather than the song title only in that directory, when:
  1. I have properly tag all my songs' metadata
  2. N3 can just show just Artist and Album as per metadata, but Song will show my physical file name
Reason is, my physical file name of each song is very long, thus very hard to see which song (title) it is, until N3 starts scrolling.
Just got the N3, everything seems fine and good value, just that the Song naming part is very frustrating.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #2,382 of 6,262
It's better for lithium-based rechargeable batteries to charge them with as low of a current as possible anyways. 1A is perfect.

Sure, higher input amps charges the battery faster, but the cost of this increased convenience is a reduction in the number of total charge cycles as well as a shorter overall battery life.
Actually, no, low as possible is not ideal. .5C-.6C is ideal for the design of lithium cells. With the air coupling loss of a Qi single coil, the actual available current is lower than 1A, plus slight losses from the voltage regulator as well. Most of the other Qi devices I've designed use a dual or quad coil design to keep a stable 2A availability to the device. Charging lithium cells at too low of a rate can have it's own share of detrimental effects to the cell.

Jun 10, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #2,383 of 6,262
Is there a way to set the output to line out instead of headphones and have it stay on that setting? Every time I turn it on it reverts back to headphone setting.

Jun 10, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #2,384 of 6,262
Is there a way to set the output to line out instead of headphones and have it stay on that setting? Every time I turn it on it reverts back to headphone setting.

The firmware does that to protect your hearing - in-case you've connected earphones, in place of the line out cable, while the power was off.

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #2,385 of 6,262

Yeah, I don't care for that bit, either. I also don't care for the gigantically-long scrolling file-names, nor their refusal to offer replacement screen protectors. :frowning2:

Other than those issues, not a bad little DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back