Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 29, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #2,161 of 6,262
also I'm still finding it hard to believe that Cayin pulled it off.

Cayin N3 is everything N5/i5 I could want soundwise 95%. Just throw away Android, big LCD screen, Wifi, huge chunks of aluminum.
You can get a really good sounding player in $149.99 that you would be paying $300 - $500 for this tier sound.

May 29, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #2,162 of 6,262
micropixel said:
For benefits of everyone else, I also tried using the N3 as BT receiver to pair with MEE Audio Connect (aptx LL) transmitter hooked up to my TV via optical TOSLINK. I know TV is not the intended use, but I just wanted to test out. I had thought I could use my MM400 or PM3 for watching TV, unfortunately there is substantial lag - perhaps more than 0.5sec. For comparison, my current setup using my Plantronics Pro2 and Sense with the MEE, the lag is at the optimal 30-40ms.

So how is it using N3 as a Bluetooth Receiver pairing with MEE Audio Connect? Excellent?
I have been considering using Bluetooth Audio when watching TV during the quiet night when my kids are sleeping. :L3000:

I've used my Cayin N3 and Shanling M1 as Bluetooth receivers for the aptX Low Latency transmitter I've got connected to the audio on my Roku video streamer box. I've also got a Shanling M2s and a Onkyo DP-X1, but I haven't paired them with the transmitter, yet. There is certainly a lag in the audio, as heard if the TV speakers aren't muted.

Since the N3, M1, and M2s do not support aptX in receive mode, they're using the SBC codec - which does not have low latency mode available. The Android based DP-X1 is probably the only DAP I've got that may support aptX in receive mode.

If you've got a headphone amp with an analog input (like the Walnut v2 or Zishan Z1), you can always use a Bluetooth aptX Low Latency transmitter / receiver pair - but until they upgrade the Bluetooth chips in the N3, M1, or M2s - you won't get aptX (with or without LL).

May 30, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #2,163 of 6,262
So how is it using N3 as a Bluetooth Receiver pairing with MEE Audio Connect? Excellent?
I have been considering using Bluetooth Audio when watching TV during the quiet night when my kids are sleeping. :L3000:

The lip sync time lag was too much, so I didn't go as far as getting down to the sound quality unfortunately. Ideally it should be 50ms or less. My existing setup for TV is the MEE Audio Connect + Plantronics SENSE, both of which are aptx LL equipped. Light, good comfort, and great audio for movie. But it's on-ear so does not block out environmental noise, so it's OK for late night, not when the kids are running around.

Back to N3, it's sounding great with my Bose QC35 which I've just bought. Tho QC35 does not have aptx, I think N3 as a dedicated BT DAP does bring out the best in QC35, wirelessly that is. It's my intended setup for air travel, along with MEE Audio Connect for hooking up to the airline entertainment streaming directly to QC35 eg movies (BUT noticeable lag of 100-200ms).

May 30, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,165 of 6,262
Eiks! That might be a problem (although not deal breaking) but nonetheless annoying. I remembered mentioning that Andy from Cayin seemed to have mentioned that such an issue could be easily fixed by having non-adjustable volume during digital and coaxial use, is that coming? Or has everyone opted for the adjustable volume?

If you can't notice a significant difference in the non-bit-perfect digital out of the Cayin N3, I highly doubt I would notice any difference , if at all.

Yes, that will changed in our "forthcoming" firmware update.

We are going to modify the digital output to native volume so there is no need to crank up the volume when you use S/PDIF or USB Audio output, and the player will fall back to the previous volume setting when the digital connection is disconnected and the player resume to headphone output.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 30, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #2,166 of 6,262
Just out of curiosity, and I know it's off topic, but I was wondering what some of you guys do with all these DAPs? I mean often people rattle of a list of 3, 4, 5 or more DAPs that they CURRENTLY use, often with another bunch of DACs and sometimes AMPs they connect them to. I mean, if you have a great DAP, why would you need more? I get you may want one for the road, maybe one for home, but the way some people talk it's like they have different combinations of DAPs, DACs, AMPs and cans for each room! :p

I love my music but struggle to find more than an hour, maybe two a day to really listen. If I had that many DAPs I'd use each of them once a year!

Right, back on topic. Hope to have N3 in hand tomorrow and will share my thoughts and experiences here.

gLer, if you explain why the ladies need more then one Designer Handbag, then it'll be relatively straight forward to figure out why we need 3,4,5 or more DAPs. :grin:

May 30, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #2,168 of 6,262
A while back, I saw a video on the N3 which showed a trick to get to a "skip to a letter" alphabet list on the bottom of the screen. Anyone know how to activate it?
While you're browsing a list, hold down the upper left touch button for the list to appear.

I assume we are referring to the alphabetic quick access bar. I have seen the photo before but I find it right now, its hidden somewhere in the thread.

I tried to call up the list and take a photo to confirm, but when I click or hold down the upper left touch button (the menu button), I can only display the following icons, hold down the button will only cause the player to rotate among these three icons. So did I do something wrong?

N3 quick menu.jpg

May 30, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #2,169 of 6,262
Hello all,

Just playing with my fresh new red unit. I was wondering, when using playing via albums, can it skip to the next album once the currently playing is over ?

Thanks in advance !

Yes, go to System Setting Menu, look for the "Folder Operation" option and set this to On, the player will move to next folder after the current folder is completed.

May 30, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #2,170 of 6,262
Does anyone else have problems getting their N3 to turn on? I have to press power button many many times to get it to turn on

Yup. I've had to occasionally hit the reset.

May 30, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,171 of 6,262
Thanks Andy, though this is working when I play via folder / music library but not when I play via Category>>album, which is more convenient for the track order :frowning2:

I have to say I'm running the original firmware, should this be fixed by later updates.

May 30, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #2,172 of 6,262
You can have a custom C-B cable made as short as 6". I have a bunch of custom cables made for tethering my cameras. The place to have it done is USBFirewire.com. The custom cable tool is here: http://www.usbfirewire.com/e-custom.aspx

You can even get the ends angled the way you want them...

This is an interesting service, some of the connectors (such as the Right/Left Angle Type C and Up/Down Angle type C) are very uncommon and not easy to work with, maybe N3 users can get together and organize an one-time bulk purchase for popular Type C cable such as Right/Left Angle C (RLC) to Micro (i.e., from N3 to Mojo) if the discount is attractive.

May 30, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,173 of 6,262
Thanks Andy, though this is working when I play via folder / music library but not when I play via Category>>album, which is more convenient for the track order :frowning2:

I have to say I'm running the original firmware, should this be fixed by later updates.

I see, because I organized my TF cards folders in in Language > Artist > Album, so the folder operation will work just fine for the album skipping. I have asked whether it is possible to extend the Folder operation to Music Category but I was told the implementation will be very complicated, I'll put in a feature request for Category > album only, see if this will simply the implementation although unlikely according to my understanding.

May 30, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #2,174 of 6,262
Does anyone else have problems getting their N3 to turn on? I have to press power button many many times to get it to turn on

Yup. I've had to occasionally hit the reset.

Does the problem happen with the Power on/off button only? Are there any other button act insensitive as well?

I have tried a few N3 and the On/Off button are fairly reliable. This sounds like a machine-dependent problem to me but I need to hear from more users in order to arrive at a reasonable estimation.

May 30, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,175 of 6,262
Yes, go to System Setting Menu, look for the "Folder Operation" option and set this to On, the player will move to next folder after the current folder is completed.

I see, because I organized my TF cards folders in in Language > Artist > Album, so the folder operation will work just fine for the album skipping. I have asked whether it is possible to extend the Folder operation to Music Category but I was told the implementation will be very complicated, I'll put in a feature request for Category > album only, see if this will simply the implementation although unlikely according to my understanding.

Thanks again Andy, your support is very valuable.

That would be a handsome feature :)
This works on hiby android app, guess they could work something out ,:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back