Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 27, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #2,132 of 6,262
Just found out my N3 couldn't recognize all the music files on my memory card all the time...Verified with my PC there's an ape file and a cue file under folder A, but N3 says there's no file in folder A. This is happening to about 5% of all the folders. Tried using built-in update music library function several times but didn't work. My temporary solution is to remove TF card->soft reset->hard reset->update music library->insert TF card, and DO NOT update music library...then those missing files finally appear in their folders. Does anyone encounter the same issue here?

Update 1: The temp solution only lasted for about half an hour. After playing files from other folders and revisited the folder A, files disappeared again. The only good thing is this seems to affect only certain specific folders and not affecting other folders.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #2,134 of 6,262
I am guessing you are a half empty kind of guy :)

$150.00 CAN, no but I am hoping for around $200.00 CAN given US price is around $150.00

Yeah, when it comes to CAD exchange, my cup feels half empty! The N3 will end up being closer to $250CAD after taxes and shipping, and even though I'm sure it's worth it, that is still a chunk of change.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #2,135 of 6,262
I would be sad to pay that much for N3.
$150 USD was a steal for me, including same day delivery. +$20 for Musictek leather case which is just chump change and $170 in total.

It's got I5/Cayin House sound for most part for such a low cost. (Excluding N6.)

May 27, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #2,136 of 6,262
Just curious, does this also happen with more common file types @VTman?

The memory card used is a brand new 200GB Sandisk ordered together with the N3 from Amazon last week. Total 183GB space available and I am using around 165GB.
Those missing files include flac, ape, cue, and jpeg. When it's working, I can play those flac and ape files and change tracks thru their cue files, and see jpeg album cover from N3 with no problem. A while later N3 can only recognize those folders, but says no file found when I enter those folders again.
Only have a very small collection of DSD and none of those folders containing DFF seemed to be affected so far.

BTW, tried fw1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 all showed same syndrome.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #2,137 of 6,262
I've had this DAP for a few weeks now. I really like it. I'm no headphone snob (...yet?), and mostly just wanted something to start out with on my journey to discovering better music and sound quality.

BUT... I'm having an issue with the device. The Cayin N3 worked perfectly up until... I can't remember the exact moment, but about a week ago I was unable to recognize the device on my computer altogether. It charges, but can't find it anywhere. (I even used the Mac Terminal to diskutil method and nothing.)

Not sure if it's a cable thing. If I remember correctly, it would only SOMEtimes not connect, for the first couple weeks.

Anyone have similar issues?

I guess I could just try a new cable, with being that I'm still well within warranty, I could just send it back...

May 28, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #2,139 of 6,262
Keeping your QP1R aside because of N3? That's unexpected. The QP1R is a good sounding DAP and I am surprised that N3 can take the seat of QP1R in your system.

lit up the divider bars whenever the screen is on? I'll note this suggestion and circulate for discussion at our subsequent meetings.

Thanks Andy for looking into the divider bar light - this will certainly ease operating the N3 in the dark.

As for using the N3 instead of my QP1R, from my perspective it needs to be looked at in totality, as a whole. The N3 offers good BT, which the QP1R obviously does not, and it is better sounding than streaming from my phone. Changing the gain also offers variable volume depending on the BT headphone used (e.g. Plantronics Pro 2 is fine at L, but QC35 needs cranking up to M). The N3 is easier to navigate compared to QP1R scroll wheel which is erratic at best, and gotta love the speed scroll on N3 which makes it easier to go through long list of folders and songs too so overall it is much easier to use. And at the end of the day, it is at a more than good sounding to satisfy me. Of course for critical listening and to drive my more demanding headphones (T1 and LCD), I am still back to QP1R or desktop amps. So the N3 is a compelling little player - no frill, easy to use and at the right price point which I do not think twice to carry with me whenever I go including for business travels when I use with my Bose QC35 to lock myself in my sound cocoon for hours in the sky. When wired, it sounds awesome with Denon MM400 and Oppo PM3 too. So N3 definitely has an important place in my audio ecosystem.

For benefits of everyone else, I also tried using the N3 as BT receiver to pair with MEE Audio Connect (aptx LL) transmitter hooked up to my TV via optical TOSLINK. I know TV is not the intended use, but I just wanted to test out. I had thought I could use my MM400 or PM3 for watching TV, unfortunately there is substantial lag - perhaps more than 0.5sec. For comparison, my current setup using my Plantronics Pro2 and Sense with the MEE, the lag is at the optimal 30-40ms.

May 28, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,140 of 6,262
N3 now listed in stock on headfoneshop.com in Toronto

I just checked this site as I have bought products from them before. They show they have the N3 now in stock (since May 6th) selling for $219.00.

Great news for me as they are alot closer to me than avgearshop.com. They are really small and may not offer the best price. But this at least bodes well for avgearshop having stock next week.

Link?

May 28, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #2,141 of 6,262
Got the delete to work. Not sure what the problem was. Initially I loaded songs from my PC to a card, then inserted it into the N3. After I connected the N3 to the same PC, the delete started to work.

Update, delete was working for a while. Added another folder of songs to the card with the N3 cabled into the laptop. Cannot delete files with the N3 alone. Am I doing something wrong?

May 28, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #2,142 of 6,262
N3 now listed in stock on headfoneshop.com in Toronto

I just checked this site as I have bought products from them before. They show they have the N3 now in stock (since May 6th) selling for $219.00.

Great news for me as they are alot closer to me than avgearshop.com. They are really small and may not offer the best price. But this at least bodes well for avgearshop having stock next week.

You shoulda paid more attention. I posted the Headfoneshop release back then.

@groucho69
http://www.headfoneshop.com

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #2,143 of 6,262
May 28, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #2,144 of 6,262

Users who are viewing this thread

Back