Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 26, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #2,101 of 6,262
Hi Guys,

The way I've been using the N3 is:
Flac files stored on a micro sd card with earphones connected to the N3 as you'd expect. I think it doesn't sound exactly smooth and is a bit harsh. (grainy wasn't a good description)

<snip>

The flac files stored on the sd card used in the N3 are copies of the flac files stored on the external storage that feeds the home hifi. I reloaded these to the sd card yesterday in case there was an issue with the files on the card.

I was just wanting to clarify that you are having issues with the SQ while listening to the files directly off of the N3's microsd card. And I see that you are.

So my question is now the same as docholliday's.

May 26, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2,102 of 6,262
what has everyone decided is the best digital filter setting? I think I picked Short Delay Sharp. Not sure I heard too much of a difference between them all. I, admittedly, have not used it as much as I would like as this is a Father's Day gift that has to be squirreled away until then. I have been sneaking it out to add music to it and update it. Getting mere minutes to hear some songs...

So what is the one setting that seems to be the most popular?

May 26, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2,103 of 6,262
Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #2,104 of 6,262
I set the gain to low rather than medium and it sounds a bit better.

These are the earphones but in black. They are quite old and I have been looking at replacement, reading posts and reviews etc. I'm considering some thing by a make called Trinity.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...eadsets-and-headphones/shure-e2c-60141/review

I've used these earphones with all of the DAPs I mentioned a few posts ago.
E2C's? Those are not the best for the mids or highs. I had a few musicians who had a pair a few years ago and they weren't capable of fulfilling the highs on tracks very well. They needed a bunch of EQ to get them to where they were useable. The problem with phones that can't reproduce a frequency range accurately (whether by design or hardware limitation) results in those frequencies being distorted or bleeding into others. I bet what you are hearing as "harshness" in the highs (and probably high-mids) is because of this deficiency (and probably distortion) in the phone. Try cutting the 4K or 8K range by -2db, maybe even dropping the 16K down a notch to clear up the overdone highs and see if it makes a difference.

The gain can be at medium for those, as the impedance is fairly high. The reason that low probably is sounding better is because it is under-driving and reducing the power on the highs.

Also remember that since you are using universals, those distortions can cause some resonance in your ear canal if the tip is too close/far and make matters even more "harsh".

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,105 of 6,262
what has everyone decided is the best digital filter setting? I think I picked Short Delay Sharp. Not sure I heard too much of a difference between them all. I, admittedly, have not used it as much as I would like as this is a Father's Day gift that has to be squirreled away until then. I have been sneaking it out to add music to it and update it. Getting mere minutes to hear some songs...

So what is the one setting that seems to be the most popular?
It doesn't have to do with popularity as much as it does the type of instruments in the music. I posted in this thread a while back about a bunch of testing I did in studio to compare the filters. Pretty much the result is something like this:
- Acoustic instruments (real instruments) sound best with Super Slow - symphonic, drums, etc. but it kills the highs a bit
- A good balance for rock and most music is Short Delay Slow - the cymbals and other acoustic items sound correct, but without killing the highs as much
- For pure digital instruments and virtual instruments, Short Delay Sharp - this will make cymbals and other acoustic elements sound bad
- For techno, electronica - Sharp does best, but other things sound extremely unrealistic
- Never use Slow - it just sucks

I am usually on Short Delay Slow with a touch of EQ at 31/63 or flat. If I'm listening to a pure acoustic set, I'll use Super Slow with a +2 on 31/63, +1/8K, +2/16K to recover some of the lost highs.

If your phones aren't high enough resolution, you probably won't hear much difference. Also, if your tracks aren't high res, you probably won't notice much either. Listen real carefully at low energy high frequencies (ride cymbal, high E strings on acoustic tracks, snare rim taps) and you'll notice the difference really quickly.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #2,106 of 6,262
Thanks Doc. I appreciate the data. Like I said, I haven't had a lot time to really listen to the unit, maybe a half hour, tops. Once I get to really spend some time, I'm sure I'll sort it out. The phones I am using at the moment are the Noble X and IT03. Almost all files are FLAC/ALAC 16/44 and many 24/48. Just haven't had much seat time...thanks again.

May 26, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #2,107 of 6,262
Thanks Doc. I appreciate the data. Like I said, I haven't had a lot time to really listen to the unit, maybe a half hour, tops. Once I get to really spend some time, I'm sure I'll sort it out. The phones I am using at the moment are the Noble X and IT03. Almost all files are FLAC/ALAC 16/44 and many 24/48. Just haven't had much seat time...thanks again.
No prob! Those phones should be very noticable as long as the track has the right elements. I was listening to the new Phil Collins "The Singles" album and the filters were very noticable in multiple tracks - watch the cymbal fades and you'll hear it clearly.

May 26, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #2,109 of 6,262
I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask questions....I recently bought a Cayin N3 and I'm loving the sound but I'm not sure which of my chargers to use with it (as an aside, when I had it plugged into a USB port and was transferring a lot of files onto the MicroSD card from my PC, the battery actually drained rather than charged).

I used a 5v, 1A iPhone charger to charge it the first time (battery was at 0% OOTB, which I thought was a little odd) and that was fine, although it took quite a while. I want to use a 5V, 2.1A iPad charger but as the reviews I've read specify 1.5 to 2 Amps, I wasn't sure if this would be OK.

My knowledge of electricity is sketchy to say the least and I'm sure I'm being overly cautious about 100 milliamps in any case but am I right in thinking that the N3 will draw no more than the maximum current it needs and I therefore needn't worry about the fact the charger can provide a little more juice? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

That will charge just fine with the proper cable.

May 26, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2,110 of 6,262
Thanks @docholliday, great to have someone with your knowledge around here. I like my music a bit warmer than neutral - to feel the thump of the kick drum and thickness of the sub bass, but not at the expense of clarity or resolution. For years I've sworn by V-Moda headphones for the kick, but have recently switched over to B&W (P7 and P5S2) once I realised just how much I was missing from the bleeding lows of the VM. The B&Ws are anything but neutral, but the extra kick and sparkle in the highs is neither too heavy on the low end or fatiguing on the high. Loving how the N3 is really bringing out the resolution, especially in the P7s. Not sure if you or anyone else has had a listen to the N3 with this pair but just thought I'd share as I'm using them to review the N3 as we speak.

May 26, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #2,111 of 6,262
These are the earphones but in black. They are quite old and I have been looking at replacement, reading posts and reviews etc. I'm considering some thing by a make called Trinity.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...eadsets-and-headphones/shure-e2c-60141/review

I've used these earphones with all of the DAPs I mentioned a few posts ago.

Wow - those are old iems! Not saying that all old stuff is bad (some of my favorite headphones are 30 years old - sony V7's, jvc ha-d990's etc), but iems have progressed a lot over the last few years, so it would be well worth it for you to try something newer out. And you don't have to spend much for pretty damned good sound these days! For example, I've come around to preferring earbuds over iems (mainly for comfort), but it is amazing what kind of sound quality you can get for the price of a pint of beer (ie less than $5):

For example, the VE Monk+:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ven...32417311324.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.IoEAXl

Or my new favorite cheapo, the Vido's:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...32806045266.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.IoEAXl

I bet either would sound fantastic off of the N3.

Anyway, just a thought!

May 26, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #2,112 of 6,262
E2C's? Those are not the best for the mids or highs. I had a few musicians who had a pair a few years ago and they weren't capable of fulfilling the highs on tracks very well. They needed a bunch of EQ to get them to where they were useable. The problem with phones that can't reproduce a frequency range accurately (whether by design or hardware limitation) results in those frequencies being distorted or bleeding into others. I bet what you are hearing as "harshness" in the highs (and probably high-mids) is because of this deficiency (and probably distortion) in the phone. Try cutting the 4K or 8K range by -2db, maybe even dropping the 16K down a notch to clear up the overdone highs and see if it makes a difference.

The gain can be at medium for those, as the impedance is fairly high. The reason that low probably is sounding better is because it is under-driving and reducing the power on the highs.

Also remember that since you are using universals, those distortions can cause some resonance in your ear canal if the tip is too close/far and make matters even more "harsh".

Yeah, I have E2Cs as well (they were my 1st "good" IEM), and I dug them out of a drawer and listened to them a few months ago and realized how much they sucked compared to pretty much most budget ChiFi offerings under $10 of the last 2 years. They were OK for their time, but they have not aged well (and yes mine are genuine, not the flood of fakes that were floating around at the time). Trying to decide if I want to use them as a cat toy or do a driver swap and see if I can get better sound out of them.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #2,113 of 6,262
Yeah, I have E2Cs as well (they were my 1st "good" IEM), and I dug them out of a drawer and listened to them a few months ago and realized how much they sucked compared to pretty much most budget ChiFi offerings under $10 of the last 2 years. They were OK for their time, but they have not aged well (and yes mine are genuine, not the flood of fakes that were floating around at the time). Trying to decide if I want to use them as a cat toy or do a driver swap and see if I can get better sound out of them.

I vote...cat toy. LOL. :joy:

May 26, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #2,114 of 6,262
I vote...cat toy. LOL. :joy:

haha, yeah. It's actually TWO cat toys when cut apart at the "Y" and tied to a stick. That's a 2-for-1 deal!

May 27, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #2,115 of 6,262

Hehe. I have a pair of AKG K-100 headphones that were the "bees knees" back in 2002 when I bought them. Had a listen to them the other day after a long hiatus and could t believe how flat they sounded compared to just about any modern headphone.

Speaking of Chi-Fi, just ordered a pair of Rock Zircons that have been getting rave reviews. Can't wait to hear what all the fuss is about for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back