Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 6, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #1,715 of 6,262
still contemplating to get the N3. One thing is sure: After I sold my i5 I feel kind of naked without a DAP.
somehow I realized that only one card slot is not a big deal as you could keep more files on your phone just stream it via Bluetooth to the N3.

But still waiting two more weeks as I want to try the new small Pioneer XDP-30R, its Onkyo brother and the Shanling M2s first before making my decision.

May 6, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #1,716 of 6,262
somehow I realized that only one card slot is not a big deal as you could keep more files on your phone just stream it via Bluetooth to the N3.

I wish I could get away with 1 card. In my xduoo X3, I have (1) 256GB with literally 30MB free, plus (1) 128GB that's about halfway filled up. It's really nice not having to swap around cards, which both increases the chance of card getting lost or damaged, but also prevents wear on the delicate microsd slot.

NOT having dual slots is the only thing keeping me from getting a different DAP. I'm hoping this is a feature we'll see a lot more of, because we're going to be waiting at least 2-3 years before 512GB microsd cards are an affordable reality. I mean, if a bottom feeder like xduoo can add dual slots to multiple DAPs, the big boys certainly can.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #1,717 of 6,262
I've had my N3 for a week now and it has exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. It's light years better than my Nexus 6. The Nexus 6 is thin in the low end and the upper mids and treble sound hard and brittle. Even with an EQ I just couldn't get it to sound good. On my Desktop I was using a Fulla which itself was much better than the Nexus 6 but still had limitations. In a brief N3 as a DAP vs. Fulla, the N3 wins. I plan to do a real comparison of the the N3 as a DAC vs. Fulla but my time is pretty limited.
What I'm totally amazed about is even with the Fulla, some of my Library wasn't very enjoyable. In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth, some Opeth and Amorphis. Many of these aren't sonic gems by any means but on the N3 they have come to life in a way I haven't heard in before. The N3 has given them a drive and depth that I'm really digging. It's a great match for my Thinksound TS02 and Thinksound ON1.

May 7, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #1,718 of 6,262
I've had my N3 for a week now and it has exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. It's light years better than my Nexus 6. The Nexus 6 is thin in the low end and the upper mids and treble sound hard and brittle. Even with an EQ I just couldn't get it to sound good. On my Desktop I was using a Fulla which itself was much better than the Nexus 6 but still had limitations. In a brief N3 as a DAP vs. Fulla, the N3 wins. I plan to do a real comparison of the the N3 as a DAC vs. Fulla but my time is pretty limited.
What I'm totally amazed about is even with the Fulla, some of my Library wasn't very enjoyable. In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth, some Opeth and Amorphis. Many of these aren't sonic gems by any means but on the N3 they have come to life in a way I haven't heard in before. The N3 has given them a drive and depth that I'm really digging. It's a great match for my Thinksound TS02 and Thinksound ON1.

i was wondering how does the N3 sounds with metal, thanks for the info :metal:

May 7, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #1,719 of 6,262

Sounds great with metal, i listen to most varieties with some bluesy rock as well and nothing sounds bad. i have the super slow setting on and sounds better again.

Im at a point now where im using N3 mostly on its own, the mojo stack is so big in pocket ive been not taking it out and just running N3 in either bluetooth or with the Sine.

May 7, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #1,721 of 6,262
Public Service Announcement…
Just got word that HEADFONEshop in Canada has the N3 in stock ($199 CAD). Only a few however, so buy 'em quick, make sure they continue stocking them.

Not a bad price too

May 7, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,722 of 6,262

Personally, I wouldn't try to pigeonhole DAPs in this way. Yes, they are an important part of your audio chain. You read up on them, try a few to determine your preferred sound signature, features, & synergy with your buds, IEM, or headphones, and buy one you feel best meets your needs and wants. But I don't think we should go so far as to say one DAP in and of itself sounds "good with metal" (or any other genre for that matter). There are too many other factors for such a simple statement. Just my two cents after trying lots of portable audio gear...

May 7, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #1,723 of 6,262
Now that more people have been using N3 for awhile, what are everyone's thoughts on the capacitive buttons? I admit that I wasn't a fan at first, but I've grown used to them and am ok with them now. I think I'd still prefer to just have physical buttons, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this!

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #1,724 of 6,262
Now that more people have been using M3 for awhile, what are everyone's thoughts on the capacitive buttons? I admit that I wasn't a fan at first, but I've grown used to them and am ok with them now. I think I'd still prefer to just have physical buttons, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this!
This is my biggest complaint. I'm constantly mis-hitting these little buttons. Oh well, I still love this little thing.

May 7, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #1,725 of 6,262
Personally, I wouldn't try to pigeonhole DAPs in this way. Yes, they are an important part of your audio chain. You read up on them, try a few to determine your preferred sound signature, features, & synergy with your buds, IEM, or headphones, and buy one you feel best meets your needs and wants. But I don't think we should go so far as to say one DAP in and of itself sounds "good with metal" (or any other genre for that matter). There are too many other factors for such a simple statement. Just my two cents after trying lots of portable audio gear...

Agreed. For me, this DAP works great for Metal but for someone else it could sound like utter crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back