Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 6, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #1,068 of 6,262
Most excellent.  Six days after I received my N3, we have a new firmware update.   Based on that, I expect the next update to be available by April 12th. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #1,071 of 6,262
  yes, and just few days after release it gets functionalities the i5 users are waiting for since 6 months.... Cayin starts to neglect the i5 already...

Some codebases are just easier to update than others, Android code is some of the worst code to work on as the OS is so full of bugs and functions that don't make sense.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #1,073 of 6,262
Your first reply does sound like a comment on the quality of Hi-Res audio, but since you have stated otherwise, lets focus on the availability.

First of all, SACD is fairly popular in Hong Kong and Japan. Sure CD is still the king, but Hong Kong has released over 100 SACD titles in 2016, and this is an significant number consider the size of Hong Kong market. Japan is even more dedicated to SACD then Hong Kong.

On top of buying FLAC or WAV file from online source, the availability of CD quality lossless music file are ripping from CD. Likewise, the availability of DSD file is mainly ripping of SACD. On top of the classical PS-3 ripping, we can also use selected Oppo and Pioneer blueray player to rip the SACD disc into DSD files:

PS3 ripping: https://newtoolbox.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sacd-ripper-primer-v4-0.pdf
Oppo ripping: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/

Hi Andy, regarding playback of SACD ISO files, can you confirm that DST compressed ISO files are supported by the Cayin N3? playback is smooth and bug free?

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,076 of 6,262
Does anyone know of a digital amp that this work on, so i can get through some speakers, on a budget though, perhaps Denon or something like that?

Budget for amp and speakers? Are you in the US?

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #1,078 of 6,262
In the UK, but you could more or less say 1 pound = 1 dollar these days. Say 500 pound? is that too little?

What do you require on the amp. There is this Chinese ebay amp that i got cheap and sounds fantastic. I used it for my PC and DAP. Dunno if this the place to ask maybe make a new thread or i can try to help you via PM up to you.

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #1,079 of 6,262
Hi Andy, regarding playback of SACD ISO files, can you confirm that DST compressed ISO files are supported by the Cayin N3? playback is smooth and bug free?

N3 don't support DST encoded SACD-ISO and DSF. I saw docholliday clarified the question already, so I skipped responding personally.

I can't claim N3 100% bug free, that's unscientific claim, even the best software can only claim that no bug has been identified. I believe N3 is fairly stable for normal operation and has delivered all features as advertised at this moment.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,080 of 6,262
Dsf
N3 don't support DST encoded SACD-ISO and DSF. I saw docholliday clarified the question already, so I skipped responding personally.

I can't claim N3 100% bug free, that's unscientific claim, even the best software can only claim that no bug has been identified. I believe N3 is fairly stable for normal operation and has delivered all features as advertised at this moment.

While nothing is 100% bug free, I'd say the N3 is pretty damn close! And it delivers beyond what was advertised since it has true ReplayGain, not just "volume leveling" like so many other players, no matter what price bracket they're in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back