Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 4, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #946 of 6,262
  Tell them as justification that it's to disrupt any environmental energies that are perpetrating your thoughts and will allow better synaptic flow while performing your work tasks! It's not entertainment!

they may just issue the tinfoil hat

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #947 of 6,262
  Any thoughts on why some albums show art cover, others don't?  All burned from CDs using iTunes, in AIFF.  

There you got your problem. itunes, the most miserable music library software which mankind ever has seen, produces three
different artwork cover sizes automatically without being asked to do so and adds them as a tag. That might occasionally confuse your player.
I had a similar problem before on my Sony DAP with files which somewhen came in contact with itunes.
Use MP3tag, delete all cover tags except one in decent size and then it should work fine.

Not sure if the N3 has a limitation for cover artwork size, I usually use sizes between 500x500 and 800x800.

Btw: itunes also adds quantastillions of further tags which nobody needs or wants to your files. Get rid of as many as possible.

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #948 of 6,262
Hey guys, I finally got my N3. I copied all my music onto a fresh TF card and have been listening to it for the last 90 minutes or so.

My M3U playlists aren't showing up in the "playlist" section, do I need to wait for them to index or do I have them formatted incorrectly? I'm using Dapper to copy playlists off my iTunes library.

Little gripe, the Artists are sorted alphabetically with bands starting with "the" sorted under T's. Instead of finding "The Arcs" under A it's showing up under T... Is this just how the N3 sorts things, or a product of using Dapper to load the card?

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #949 of 6,262
  Hey guys, I finally got my N3. I copied all my music onto a fresh TF card and have been listening to it for the last 90 minutes or so.

My M3U playlists aren't showing up in the "playlist" section, do I need to wait for them to index or do I have them formatted incorrectly? I'm using Dapper to copy playlists off my iTunes library.

Little gripe, the Artists are sorted alphabetically with bands starting with "the" sorted under T's. Instead of finding "The Arcs" under A it's showing up under T... Is this just how the N3 sorts things, or a product of using Dapper to load the card?

I wasn't able to copy my playlists over either so I started to create them on the N3 itself. And I feel your pain, so many "the" bands in my library....

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #950 of 6,262

I wasn't able to copy my playlists over either so I started to create them on the N3 itself. And I feel your pain, so many the "the" bands in my library....

Ugh. Two things I noticed within the first hour. Is everyone having these problems? I was hoping to use playlists as sorting through 120+ artists with left+right buttons is a tad slow.

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #951 of 6,262
Whew, a lot of action here today...

@nmatheis Perfect ! Im used to fix computers or any electronic devices, it shouldnt be a problem.

Yup, I've ripped apart computers and phones. Changing the battery in the N3 doesn't look any harder than that. In fact, it looks much easier than replacing the battery in an iPhone.

Any thoughts on why some albums show art cover, others don't?  All burned from CDs using iTunes, in AIFF.  

Really struggling with moving from iPhone/iPad easy interface to this.  Did take the time to sort by Genre folder...but the 1990s called and want their DOS back...  

Besides what BartSimpson1976 said, I've seen iTunes embed some artwork while storing other artwork in a separate folder in the iTunes library. Really weird behavior!

The N3's DAC mode is, as they say, "plug and play" on Linux.  Just sayin'.  :D   

(Sorry, I couldn't he'p myself!) 

Same with my MacBook Pro, yo.

Unix Users Unite!!!

You still have cubicles?? The advertising industry in NYC has gone to the open office layout. People now would kill for the cubicles they once loathed.

I'm lucky though. As the sole video editor at my company, I've got the only office! Four walls and a door....

Open floor plan office spaces totally kill productivity, lol :p

Again, iTunes users an obscure "Sort By" tag for Artist and Album that allows iPods and iPhones to sort by Flaming Lips instead of The Flaming Lips. No audiophile DAP I've used tears those tags. You'll just have to re-tag those files of that's important to you...

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #952 of 6,262

Again, iTunes users an obscure "Sort By" tag for Artist and Album that allows iPods and iPhones to sort by Flaming Lips instead of The Flaming Lips. No audiophile DAP I've used tears those tags. You'll just have to re-tag those files of that's important to you...

I was just surprised because i've been playing with my father's DP-X1A all week and didn't notice this problem. It's probably because the DP-X1A is running Android, which probably indexes files differently.

Not recognizing the M3U playlists though... that's a bit perplexing.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #953 of 6,262

Ugh. Two things I noticed within the first hour. Is everyone having these problems? I was hoping to use playlists as sorting through 120+ artists with left+right buttons is a tad slow.

Yeah, most players nowadays seem to ignore the ARTISTSORT and ALBUMARTISTSORT tags. Typically, that is where the sorting name comes from, not the ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST tag. So, "The Rolling Stones" in ARTIST would be set for "Rolling Stones, The" in the ARTISTSORT and the system should sort correctly. But, I've even noticed desktop apps (like foobar2000) that doesn't read the tag right and still wants to put The with the T's. MediaMonkey does read it right and puts it in the correct place with the R's.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #954 of 6,262

I was just surprised because i've been playing with my father's DP-X1A all week and didn't notice this problem. It's probably because the DP-X1A is running Android, which probably indexes files differently.

It'll recognize M3U and M3U8 fine, just not in the Category based Playlists. That's reserved for internally created playlists (from the player). You'll have to access your playlists via the folder chooser and they'll play right (if they are built correctly).

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #955 of 6,262

Perhaps the DP-X1A just recognizes the Sort By tag because that was an important feature did their customer base. Most Chinese DAPs have pretty bare bones interface.

Not sure on the playlists. I don't use them. Ever...

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #956 of 6,262

I wasn't able to copy my playlists over either so I started to create them on the N3 itself. And I feel your pain, so many "the" bands in my library....

I started out creating a Music folder.
In the Music folder, I've placed a folder for Playlists, and folders for the various genres of music.
In the genre folders, there's a _Various folder for compilations, and folders for Artists / Year - Album / Tracks.

The manually created Playlists each have lines with absolute paths -
../ [genre] / [Artist] / [Year - Album] / [Tracks]

I've been able to copy my Music folder to my Onkyo DP-X1, Shanling M1, and this Cayin N3 - and when using the Folder Browser, I can select and play any of the Playlists, without any issues.  It seems like most of the budget DAPs will not display externally created playlists in their database of playlists, but they can access them with the Folder Browser.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #957 of 6,262
Yeah, most players nowadays seem to ignore the ARTISTSORT and ALBUMARTISTSORT tags. Typically, that is where the sorting name comes from, not the ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST tag. So, "The Rolling Stones" in ARTIST would be set for "Rolling Stones, The" in the ARTISTSORT and the system should sort correctly. But, I've even noticed desktop apps (like foobar2000) that doesn't read the tag right and still wants to put The with the T's. MediaMonkey does read it right and puts it in the correct place with the R's.

Hey now, should we really be assigning right or wrong here?

I've just learned to either look for those artists under T or batch re-tagged and re-named the files. Depends on how much effort I want to expend, lol :p

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #958 of 6,262
Not sure on the playlists. I don't use them. Ever...

What, I suppose you were too good for mix tapes too
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back