Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 3, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #916 of 6,262
@docholliday: I was just going by this...

"The player was originally set to high gain to keep the volume 35-45 for the UERR (which is what the X1-II was set at for the same output level). In Low gain, it requires 62-65 on the N3 for the same sound output level."

Ah, it was only there as a reference point for the settings, working to nullify any variables since both have a 100 point scale...too many thoughts, too slow typing (and that's at 140wpm).

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #918 of 6,262
  I know that N3 is not designed to be taken apart, but will it be possible at all for the user to replace the battery after it stops holding a charge? I will be using this pretty heavily & this is the only reason that is stopping me from getting this DAP & look at other options like a USB DAC. This will be a significant investment for me & I would hate if it would stop holding a charge after 2-3 years of use. But I would love to have a dedicated DAP instead of other options like a portable DAC and using dongles to connect to my laptop & phone. 

Same question here !

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #919 of 6,262
Originally Posted by michaelgordon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  yeah i cant think now why i wanted to BT through the N3 from phone to headphones other than eliminating wires and the N3 sounds better using BT than it does from the phone.  It was only going to be for using Amazon music but like you said can do that direct.

I can confirm that the N3 will accept the connection from both phone and headphone at same time.  I connected my phone, disabled media then connected N3 this allowed me to playback music from N3 and make a call with the phone, the music stopped and started with the call as well.

Im really impressed and nmathias sold this too me by originally saying its a baby N5 but id say in some ways its better.

Can anyone else confirm that this works? I've tried connecting my phone to the N3 which is connected to my headphones. When I play the music via my phone, my headphones do not have any sound. By headphones, I meant a bluetooth 4.0 enabled car unit. 

The config is something like this: Oneplus 3 Phone ---(music)---> N3 ---(no music)---> Headphones.

However, my headphone unit could control my phone's play/pause so somehow it works but there's no sound hmm... When I play music from N3 direct to the headphones, it works. Just not through another bluetooth connection such as the phone.

I didn't want to connect N3 straight to the car unit. Was thinking that N3 could make audio sound better since Oneplus 3 DAC is a mess while ensuring that my car bluetooth unit handles calls from my phone. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #920 of 6,262
aztriltus: You can either connect to your phone via Bluetooth or connect to your car via Bluetooth but not both simultaneously.

Atomka: The battery is connected to the board by a simple connector. Looks very easy to change. The case is easy to get off, too. Just need to be careful about not breaking any of the plastic clips that hold it on.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #924 of 6,262
Hi,

I know they are very different but from a sound point of view and given the same chips used, how different or behind would you say the N3 is to Fiio x5iii?

I understand they are quite polar in terms of ui and stuff l, cause i was going to save up for the fiio but if the sound is similar orclose then i might reconsidr and putbthe rest toward the headphones!
Cheers

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #925 of 6,262
Hi,

I know they are very different but from a sound point of view and given the same chips used, how different or behind would you say the N3 is to Fiio x5iii?

I understand they are quite polar in terms of ui and stuff l, cause i was going to save up for the fiio but if the sound is similar orclose then i might reconsidr and putbthe rest toward the headphones!
Cheers

I appreciate their might not be any comparisons with any DAPs yet but if someone does have both toys it would be very interesting to know your thoughts on these. Cheers

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #926 of 6,262
  There was a notice in my mailbox today, saying that I can pick up my package from MusicTeck tomorrow at the Post Office (it was sent with signature required).

I've already got a 200GB MicroSD card for it, and I'm looking forward to using my new N3 tomorrow evening.

Went and picked the package up at Lunch today, and have the N3 plugged into a charger here at work.

I haven't read the manual yet (typical guy... 
wink_face.gif
), so should I be seeing two white LEDs lit on the front while it's charging?  They flashed for 10-minutes or so, and now they're steady state.

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #927 of 6,262

Went and picked the package up at Lunch today, and have the N3 plugged into a charger here at work.

I haven't read the manual yet (typical guy... 
wink_face.gif
), so should I be seeing two white LEDs lit on the front while it's charging?  They flashed for 10-minutes or so, and now they're steady state.

Yes, they flash when charging and stop when it's fully charged. They stay lit until you unplug it.

It charges up quite quickly compared to other DAPs I've owned. I bought a couple spare type c usb charging/data transfer cables for it too since I didn't have any except for the one that came with it. I like the c connector...it seems more durable than the other type and it's reversible.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #928 of 6,262

Yes, they flash when charging and stop when it's fully charged. They stay lit until you unplug it.

It charges up quite quickly compared to other DAPs I've owned. I bought a couple spare type c usb charging/data transfer cables for it too since I didn't have any except for the one that came with it. I like the c connector...it seems more durable than the other type and it's reversible.

It's probably one of the fastest charging devices that I've seen which wasn't some "quick charge" format. And, I really like the percentage display on it so that it's not a guess as to how long you have til full charge (or remaining).

It would've been really neat if they would've implemented 4 extra LEDs under the capacitive buttons that light up when first touched. That would make it easier to find what you're hitting when it's dark. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #929 of 6,262
@aztriltus: You can either connect to your phone via Bluetooth or connect to your car via Bluetooth but not both simultaneously.

@Atomka: The battery is connected to the board by a simple connector. Looks very easy to change. The case is easy to get off, too. Just need to be careful about not breaking any of the plastic clips that hold it on.

Yeah, I'm really tempted to crack mine open and add a Qi circuit to it so that I can wireless charge it. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #930 of 6,262
  It's probably one of the fastest charging devices that I've seen which wasn't some "quick charge" format. And, I really like the percentage display on it so that it's not a guess as to how long you have til full charge (or remaining).

It would've been really neat if they would've implemented 4 extra LEDs under the capacitive buttons that light up when first touched. That would make it easier to find what you're hitting when it's dark. 

I like the percentage display for the battery too...it seems to be pretty accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back