Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 18, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #1,398 of 6,262
Was doing chores today and put my n3 on shuffle all songs and put replay gain on and I'm still amazed at how nice this little brick sounds :) Really the only thing the x5 3 has on this little critter is positioning of the instruments,and maybe a hair of resolution. Sound stage size, dynamics, and overall tone I give to N3.

X5iii sounds beautiful, but its just too polite. Highs sound tinkely and pretty but not dynamic enough, and a touch muffled, rolled off whatever you want to call it. It's like if you ever have been right next to a drum kit and the drummer blasts a crash cymbal by your ear and you go ouch, the sound just cuts through. You get that sense with the n3 more than the x5iii. With the x5iii even if I turn on viper dynamics and boost the treble bands up it still sounds polite. Detailed and very good but not aggressive enough.

Anyways for the price this is a real gem. Ok off to play persona 5, I want to enjoy myself as much as possible before trump and that fat idiot blow the world up. :frowning2:

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #1,399 of 6,262
I have finally ordered the N3 black from advancedmp3players.co.uk as they said today will receive new stock...got a good price discount of 15% and free delivery, so just 127 pounds...looking forward to getting it. 

How did you get the 15% off code ? All i can find is a 10% code. I subscribed to their back in stock mail but never received a mail that it was back in stock. Just found out that it was back in stock after reading your post.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,401 of 6,262
I'm looking for a small dap that can be a standalone or connect with my mojo. My headphones are u12, vega, meze 99c. I'm considering this n3, shanling m1 and ap60. Any recommendations?

I am using the n3 paired with a mojo to drive ca vegas. I really like the n3, its a solid little player. I run usb directly from the n3 to the mojo and it sounds great. Not 100% sure about whether its a direct bit perfect sound or not though, but I cant really tell an audible difference vs when I playback from my phone to mojo with bitperfect from usb audio player pro. I also really like the bluetooth functionality so I can stream from my phone. With usb, volume control and gain on the N3 do not affect anything, but the equalizer does still seem to work. When using usb to coax though, the N3 definitely seems to be doing its own processing too, as volume, gain, equalizer, etc all still work on the N3.

I will say though that when I plug the vegas directly into the unit I can hear fairly noticeable buzz/hissing. Less so when I use other iems (noble x, lz a4, it03). Dont know how it will perform with your other iems though, but if you plan to use the mojo all the time it wont be an issue.

Overall, I am quite happy with it and think its a good value. Just wish I knew a bit more about what its doing with usb out, and that there were no noise/buzzing/hissing with my vegas.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,402 of 6,262
I'm looking for a small dap that can be a standalone or connect with my mojo. My headphones are u12, vega, meze 99c. I'm considering this n3, shanling m1 and ap60. Any recommendations?

I'll be surprised if anyone doesn't say N3 in this N3 thread. 

Ya I know:

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #1,403 of 6,262
How did you get the 15% off code ? All i can find is a 10% code. I subscribed to their back in stock mail but never received a mail that it was back in stock. Just found out that it was back in stock after reading your post.

I have found a better price on another site and emailed them. They have this option to match the price if you find it cheaper somewhere else which I did. They emailed me back with this code offer:  15%EASTER17    valid until midnight tonight. Try to use it maybe it will work for you too.

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #1,404 of 6,262
I am using the n3 paired with a mojo to drive ca vegas. I really like the n3, its a solid little player. I run usb directly from the n3 to the mojo and it sounds great. Not 100% sure about whether its a direct bit perfect sound or not though, but I cant really tell an audible difference vs when I playback from my phone to mojo with bitperfect from usb audio player pro. I also really like the bluetooth functionality so I can stream from my phone. With usb, volume control and gain on the N3 do not affect anything, but the equalizer does still seem to work. When using usb to coax though, the N3 definitely seems to be doing its own processing too, as volume, gain, equalizer, etc all still work on the N3.

I will say though that when I plug the vegas directly into the unit I can hear fairly noticeable buzz/hissing. Less so when I use other iems (noble x, lz a4, it03). Dont know how it will perform with your other iems though, but if you plan to use the mojo all the time it wont be an issue.

Overall, I am quite happy with it and think its a good value. Just wish I knew a bit more about what its doing with usb out, and that there were no noise/buzzing/hissing with my vegas.

Thank for sharing your experience. Most of the time i think i will use with mojo at home. When i go out side i will use my wm1a. Hope it can drive my u12 and vega well.

I'll be surprised if anyone doesn't say N3 in this N3 thread. 

Ya I know:

I know haha but i wanna know how n3 pairs with mojo :).

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,405 of 6,262
Thank for sharing your experience. Most of the time i think i will use with mojo at home. When i go out side i will use my wm1a. Hope it can drive my u12 and vega well.

If you are going to use your mojo most of the time, then it will be driving your headphones, not the N3. It should sound exactly the same as you are used to now with the mojo, since you will basically just be using the N3 as a source and transport and not as a dac or amp. Though the one remaining question is whether the N3 dac is still working even when using usb out to the mojo (again since I can change equalizer settings and hear a difference). But as I said, I cant really hear any difference between the N3 and my phone when both are connected to the mojo.via usb.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #1,406 of 6,262
If you are going to use your mojo most of the time, then it will be driving your headphones, not the N3. It should sound exactly the same as you are used to now with the mojo, since you will basically just be using the N3 as a source and transport and not as a dac or amp. Though the one remaining question is whether the N3 dac is still working even when using usb out to the mojo (again since I can change equalizer settings and hear a difference). But as I said, I cant really hear any difference between the N3 and my phone when both are connected to the mojo.via usb.

You can't here the difference because both of your n3 and your phone will feed the mojo. So phone and n3 when they pairs with the mojo, they will have the same sound.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #1,407 of 6,262
I have found a better price on another site and emailed them. They have this option to match the price if you find it cheaper somewhere else which I did. They emailed me back with this code offer:  [COLOR=222222]15%EASTER17    valid until midnight tonight. Try to use it maybe it will work for you too.[/COLOR]

Thanks a lot. The code worked for me so i ordered one in cyan. Can't wait to join team N3 :D

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #1,408 of 6,262
will the new color be red like this Teac?

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #1,409 of 6,262
Thanks a lot. The code worked for me so i ordered one in cyan. Can't wait to join team N3
biggrin.gif

Nice....glad I could help a fellow audiophile :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back