Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Feb 19, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #124 of 6,262
  I'm torn at the moment between this and M1s. For an extra 100 I'd gain balanced but lose Bluetooth and extra portablility! Ah decisions...

The M1s is quite large when you actually hold one...I was surprised at how big it was. I was expecting something ipod nano sized only thicker but this thing is 126mm long! Now I'm leaning towards the N3 depending on the reviews.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #129 of 6,262
Same here..trying to convince myself I don't really need the new and much more expensive Fiio X5iii

I'm following the X5III thread, but I'm not really that interested in it.  I got my X5II just because it had two card slots.  Now that 256 mcsd cards are available and these new smaller DAPs can utilize them, it makes more sense to me me to buy the smaller DAP and invest in the larger capacity card.  I don't use any of the added features the X5III offers on my smart phone, so why pay extra for things I'll never use.  I put MP3s on my DAPs and keep the flac on my desktop at home.  I'm not doing any critical listen when I'm on the go or at work.  It all comes down to what you are looking for at the end of the day.  I like N3 because it's pretty small, has decent battery life, Bluetooth, and decent storage.  Now initial impressions and reviews may change my mind as to whether I get one or not, but right now this is how I look at it.  I gave up on the X1II because FiiO is dragging their feet with it IMO because they have so many new things coming out to focus on and fix just one of them.  I'm hoping the N3 does much better than that.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #130 of 6,262

I agree in that I might not need all the functionality it offers (at least not right now). But as this will be my first DAP since my Sansa's, I'm thinking might as well make it my last DAP (end-game so to speak:). Most important for me is SQ followed by futureproof functionality. I have an XDUOO XD-05 as well so being able to connect it to that is a big plus should I need the extra power for driving my AKG K712 for home listening (I don't have a fullsize desktop amp/DAC at home).

If initial impressions on this Cayin DAP are good I might as well leave it at that though..

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #131 of 6,262
  I agree in that I might not need all the functionality it offers (at least not right now). But as this will be my first DAP since my Sansa's, I'm thinking might as well make it my last DAP (end-game so to speak:). Most important for me is SQ followed by futureproof functionality. I have an XDUOO XD-05 as well so being able to connect it to that is a big plus should I need the extra power for driving my AKG K712 for home listening (I don't have a fullsize desktop amp/DAC at home).

If initial impressions on this Cayin DAP are good I might as well leave it at that though..

I get it.  It's all in what YOU want.  I was merely explaining my thoughts on it.

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #132 of 6,262

I share your same opinion regarding this potentially being your last DAP. Having to use wired earphones for the majority of my Ipod days and now currently resorting to a bluetooth adapter in order to get my wireless earbuds to work with my Fiio X1, I'll be happy to have a music player that can support bluetooth right off the bat so I can finally use my earbuds without having to worry about the adapter anymore. This ability and, hopefully, the longterm support of firmware updates, as well as the capacity of the device are big selling points for me.

The M1s is quite large when you actually hold one...I was surprised at how big it was. I was expecting something ipod nano sized only thicker but this thing is 126mm long! Now I'm leaning towards the N3 depending on the reviews.

If you ask me, the M1 looks like a brick compared to the others.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #133 of 6,262
The m1 does so much more than the ipod Nano.  I would not expect it to be ultra small.  

The m1 is a bit thicker than the m2 but much almost half as long.  It is quite cute.  The bluetooth section is darn good.  I tested it with Howdy and he was able to go pretty far away with no loss of signal.  Like 30 or 40 feet I think.

The Cayin looks like a small FIIO X3 or Shanling M2; but bigger than the Shanling M1.  Still a very interesting piece.

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #134 of 6,262

I share your same opinion regarding this potentially being your last DAP. Having to use wired earphones for the majority of my Ipod days and now currently resorting to a bluetooth adapter in order to get my wireless earbuds to work with my Fiio X1, I'll be happy to have a music player that can support bluetooth right off the bat so I can finally use my earbuds without having to worry about the adapter anymore. This ability and, hopefully, the longterm support of firmware updates, as well as the capacity of the device are big selling points for me.

If you ask me, the M1 looks like a brick compared to the others.

Yes it does look like a brick. The N3 is very close to the size of the Fiio X3ii which I find is pretty much the perfect size. I find the small DAPs like the Shanling M1 and the Hidizs AP60 to be too small and uncomfortable to use. The N3 would be small enough to put in my pocket and still be comfortable to use.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #135 of 6,262
Just find out that in N3, the coaxial digital output shares the same port with USB. So a special 75ohm USB-RCA coaxial cable is needed for such usage. I hope Cayin includes it in the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back