Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 27, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #586 of 6,262
Because N3 was primarily designed for music playback, we have not taking non-music related applications into our UI design. We are glad that the N3 has opened up a new range of application to Cayin. We certainly will consider your suggestion seriously, but we would like to focus on critical bug fixing and enhancement of music-related features as our priority at this stage. After all, we promised first class music experience to our customers, so we own them our best shot and we should explore new market opportunities only after we deliver our promise satisfactory.

Sorry that I can't give you a date or a firm commitment at this stage, but I'll make sure the request will be considered seriously in due course.
beerchug.gif

I understand, and I agree with your priorities. Thank you for considering this. I just received my N3 today. I'm impressed with its build quality and looking forward to listening to it after it's charged. The UI looks very good. I was able to start navigating right away, and was able to change the language to English quickly. It seems very easy and intuitive to use. Congratulations, it looks like a great product, quite an achievement at this price!

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #587 of 6,262
OK, We hear you.
beerchug.gif

We'll try out best to bring ReplayGain to N3 as soon as possible.

We can develop leather case too, but that will take some time. It will be an optional accessories instead of a replacement to the silicon jacket, and it probably will cost about the same as i5 leather case, so my guess is around US$30 - $35, and will probably be more expensive if we want to custom make the N3 leather case in multiple color.

Thank you Andy!

With ReplayGain, the N3 would be the top of the "cheaper" players and would make it absolutely perfect! And my ears would greatly appreciate not being blown out from random tracks.

I didn't expect the leather case to replace the silicone - I planned on paying for one as soon as it's available (but let me know if you need a beta test on one!). I personally think a classy black or dark brown leather would be the only color needed. Let the player's color show through on a few spots (like around the edge of the display a few millimeters) and it'll look really classy!. 

By the way, it would be nice to have a ltitle space around the display (especially, the buttons). I tried the silicone case out (better than no protection!) and I noticed that sometimes, the bottom row of buttons don't register my click correctly when the case is on. I think it's because the button's hot spot is so close to the edge of the case the my fat thumb is forced up and not hitting it on center, but rather slightly higher and landing on the edge of the button above it.

The only issue I have found consistently is the EQ not working after waking from sleep. I did find that if I pause the track, unplug the headphone (and wait for the display to change from the headphone symbol to s/f) then plug back in and un-pause, the EQ started to work again. Other than that, I'd say this player is a flawless release!

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #589 of 6,262
Because N3 was primarily designed for music playback, we have not taking non-music related applications into our UI design. We are glad that the N3 has opened up a new range of application to Cayin. We certainly will consider your suggestion seriously, but we would like to focus on critical bug fixing and enhancement of music-related features as our priority at this stage. After all, we promised first class music experience to our customers, so we own them our best shot and we should explore new market opportunities only after we deliver our promise satisfactory.

Sorry that I can't give you a date or a firm commitment at this stage, but I'll make sure the request will be considered seriously in due course.
beerchug.gif

Yay! Thank you! It's good to see a music player designed and supported for just that - music first! There are too many companies trying to compete with things that are phone related. I never understood the point of a high-res music player being used for audiobooks, ain't gonna get better quality than a phone for that purpose! Thank you Cayin for having your priorites in order!

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #590 of 6,262

Looking at that pinout, does that mean if we connect to the computer with a USB-C to USB-A 3.0/3.1 cable we'll get full transfer speed when sending files to the card or is the card limited by the SD controller used? USB2.0 speed for the card maxes out around 16-18MB/s and that's what the player does if I use the included charge/sync cable, which is 2.0 only.

So, I use an external reader to send files to the card at ~85MB/s (Sandisk Extreme) which is about full speed. But I don't have a USB-C to A cable for data right now. If the card isn't speed limited by the controller, I'd get one to just be able to update files without having to remove the card (which is covered up by a case and is a good thing so the card won't mysteriously pop out and get lost).

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #593 of 6,262
Looking at that pinout, does that mean if we connect to the computer with a USB-C to USB-A 3.0/3.1 cable we'll get full transfer speed when sending files to the card or is the card limited by the SD controller used? USB2.0 speed for the card maxes out around 16-18MB/s and that's what the player does if I use the included charge/sync cable, which is 2.0 only.

So, I use an external reader to send files to the card at ~85MB/s (Sandisk Extreme) which is about full speed. But I don't have a USB-C to A cable for data right now. If the card isn't speed limited by the controller, I'd get one to just be able to update files without having to remove the card (which is covered up by a case and is a good thing so the card won't mysteriously pop out and get lost).

This is the standard pin out diagram of Type C connector, the N3 DAP only support USB2.0, we have to cut corner at somewhere in order to stay at this price range and lowered the USB support to 2.0 is one of the corner we have axed on. our N5 and i5 are both USB3.0 based. In other word, you won't increase the file transfer rate when using a USB-C to USB-A 3.0/3.1 cable with N3.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 28, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #594 of 6,262
This is the standard pin out diagram of Type C connector, the N3 DAP only support USB2.0, we have to cut corner at somewhere in order to stay at this price range and lowered the USB support to 2.0 is one of the corner we have axed on. our N5 and i5 are both USB3.0 based. In other word, you won't increase the file transfer rate when using a USB-C to USB-A 3.0/3.1 cable with N3.

No problems there! I complete understand having to reduce costs on some things to better make others! There's a reason I have a nice fast card reader...

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #595 of 6,262
I have just sold my XDuoo X3 and Topping NX3 combo because I am really interested in buying the Cayin N3, and I am 90% sure I will, but I have only one question: can I use it as a DAC from a Samsung smartTV to headphones (specifically UE40D6530 to Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7). The TV has a digital optical out, an analogue jack out, HDMI (ARC) out and USB 2.0. Thank you

Maybe using an USB to SPDIF/Toslink adaptor like this? Then and adapter from USB to USB-C cable plus the Toslink cable? Too many but if it works why not.

I wasn't able to find an HDMI(ARC) to USB-C cable or Toslink to USB-C adapter...maybe I am overthinking it :)

USB to SPDIF/Toslink USB to SPDIF/Toslink

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #596 of 6,262
I have just sold my XDuoo X3 and Topping NX3 combo because I am really interested in buying the Cayin N3, and I am 90% sure I will, but I have only one question: can I use it as a DAC from a Samsung smartTV to headphones (specifically UE40D6530 to Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7). The TV has a digital optical out, an analogue jack out, HDMI (ARC) out and USB 2.0. Thank you

Maybe using an USB to SPDIF/Toslink adaptor like this? Then and adapter from USB to USB-C cable plus the Toslink cable? Too many but if it works why not.

USB to SPDIF/Toslink USB to SPDIF/Toslink

The USB 2.0 on your Samsung smartTV, is it for storage only? If the TV can output digital audio signal from the USB2.0 port, the whole thing will be pretty straight forward.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 28, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #597 of 6,262
I did some quick research and it seems the USB on any TV, not just mine, are for storage only, no sound output.
it might be another solution to use the N3 as an amp from TV using an USB-C to jack mother cable and then a jack to jack cable. It will be analogues sound output from TV but it will make the difference. I did try this with a Topping NX1 amp.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #598 of 6,262
Basic question...tried (for a few minutes this morning) to copy over music from my Mac.  Mac didn't seem to recognize it (I did charge it up last night).  Should just be plug and play, copy over into new drive, correct?  Will spend some more time on it this evening, probably just need to turn off and on again.  

To follow up on another question, is this the card to use:  SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Black, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57S62/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER.

Any formatting required?  If so, what format and how?

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #599 of 6,262
  Basic question...tried (for a few minutes this morning) to copy over music from my Mac.  Mac didn't seem to recognize it (I did charge it up last night).  Should just be plug and play, copy over into new drive, correct?  Will spend some more time on it this evening, probably just need to turn off and on again.  

To follow up on another question, is this the card to use:  SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Black, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57S62/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER.

I use an external card reader to take full advantage of any speed the card has. I've got cards formatted in both FAT32 and exFAT, both work flawlessly.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #600 of 6,262

There should be a formatting tool in the DAP itself. It's always best practice to format your card in the DAP to avoid any playback issues. I always use a card reader for the initial loading of files, then plug it in later as I add an a album or two at a time. I'm not familiar with MAC, so I can't offer any advice with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back