Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,631 of 6,262
@docholliday Maybe "echo" is not technically correct word for what I tried to say. I just hear the sound like the pitch being shifted towards lower frequencies, so the sound is more deep and round. I really like it for slow(ish) non-electronica music, it sounds really natural. Not sure if the sound is natural itself or my ears are being tricked, but it sounds natural. The big downside for me is that I don't feel enough energy for fast(er) songs. I think it has something to do about (perceived?) lower pitch. And in "Slow" I feel the pitch is just about right. I like you calling "Slow" flat. It seems like a middle of all/most sound characteristics, it isn't particulary good at anything, so I understand why people may not like it, but for me it's like stable 8/10 sound and 9-10/10 energy for everything.

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #3,632 of 6,262
That is correct, mostly. The filters are designed as anti-aliasing filters for high-frequency roll off. But...because of the start of the roll off point (earlier for slower and later/non-existant for sharper), there are harmonics at play that can minorly affect other frequencies in the range. It doesn't affect the bass or low mids, but the filters can affect a harmonic of something like a tom/snare drumhead - it may sound more dull as the high cutoff (even though the drum is a lower frequencied instrument) causes the drum to lose some of the sound from the stick hitting the head.

Sharper roll offs, say at 19.5KHz allow almost all frequencies up to that point to remain the same energy. Slower ones start earlier, so a 19.5KHz roll off may start cascading down at 13KHz and reduce the energy of those in-between frequencies.

Super slow isn't a "no delay" filter - it's a half sampling rate filter. There are three bits that change the filters, one changes the fast/slow (SLOW) and another the short/standard delay (SD). A completely different bit ("SSLOW") engages the half sampling frequency bit. When it is engaged (set to 1), the 4490 ignores the first two bits. The AKM "consumer" graph/chart is pretty much marketing and useless. Look at the response graphs from the AKM design sheet for more accurate cutoff frequencies and response times.

DAMN! You the smartest motherfuc*er on this board.

Knowledge-worship-958x538.png

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #3,633 of 6,262
Thanks man. BT function is just a bonus for me and i dont use balanced too. So i assume N3 is the way to go?
Quite possibly...i think Shanling's m2s is pretty similar to the n3....i didn't get a chance to audition that because it was not released at the time of my purchase so I'm unsure how Shanling tuned it...but as for the cayin I can happily say it's impressive for the price unreal sound quality-mind you I upgraded from iPod touch 4th gen- but you get to hear so much more...maybe in the future I will upgrade to something better but for now the n3 is more than sufficient...

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #3,634 of 6,262
I've noticed an annoying bug when resuming a file (whether after turning it off completely or just pausing for a few seconds). If I want to go back to the beginning of the file it won't let me: no matter how many times I rewind or skip back to the beginning, it insists on taking me back to the break point and starting from there. The only way around it is to skip forward to the next file then go back again - quite irritating.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #3,635 of 6,262
I've noticed an annoying bug when resuming a file (whether after turning it off completely or just pausing for a few seconds). If I want to go back to the beginning of the file it won't let me: no matter how many times I rewind or skip back to the beginning, it insists on taking me back to the break point and starting from there. The only way around it is to skip forward to the next file then go back again - quite irritating.
Hi - just tried to replicate this...with no luck. Works perfectly whether paused with side button or main button, and when resumed from off. One click of the back capacitive button (or back side button) and it's instantly back to the start of the playing song. Does it do this for all your songs? What format are they in? I'm on custom firmware 2.0.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #3,636 of 6,262
Hi - just tried to replicate this...with no luck. Works perfectly whether paused with side button or main button, and when resumed from off. One click of the back capacitive button (or back side button) and it's instantly back to the start of the playing song. Does it do this for all your songs? What format are they in? I'm on custom firmware 2.0.
I'm on 2.1, factory firmware. It goes back to the beginning momentarily but immediately skips back to where it was before playing.

Actually, I've just tried it on a number of tracks and it only does it on one album so far - on every track. I'll try re-coding the existing FLAC files (44.1kHz/16-bit) or re-ripping the album if that doesn't help.

EDIT: Re-coded files and no longer have a problem so it must have been an issue with my files rather than the player I think.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #3,638 of 6,262
Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/27t7sd0oiad8q9w/update.upt?dl=0

That's direct from my Dropbox. I created the graphics and corrected all the English misspellings and grammar errors (also includes fixed French and Russian languages), but unfortunately the person who coded it for me has left the project so we're stuck at Firmware 2.0. That said, 2.1 doesn't really add anything important so you're not losing anything by using this version. Looks much nicer and is faster too. Fully compatible with HiBy Link.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #3,641 of 6,262
I was silently hoping for something important, but thank you very much anyway for sharing this.
Hehe, in what way? If I didn't find a way to edit the graphics and UI elements I would have sold the N3 long ago... That's all that mattered to me, it works perfectly in every other way for what I need from a DAP.

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #3,642 of 6,262
Hehe, in what way? If I didn't find a way to edit the graphics and UI elements I would have sold the N3 long ago... That's all that mattered to me, it works perfectly in every other way for what I need from a DAP.
Erm... yknow, some *cough* *cough* boobs. Srsly, I just had a tiny bit of spontaneous optimism about functionality changes or bug fixes, never mind. Overally, I enjoy N3 too.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #3,645 of 6,262
Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/27t7sd0oiad8q9w/update.upt?dl=0

That's direct from my Dropbox. I created the graphics and corrected all the English misspellings and grammar errors (also includes fixed French and Russian languages), but unfortunately the person who coded it for me has left the project so we're stuck at Firmware 2.0. That said, 2.1 doesn't really add anything important so you're not losing anything by using this version. Looks much nicer and is faster too. Fully compatible with HiBy Link.

I think the most important change from 2.0 to 2.1 is the battery problem. With 2.0 they did a mistake and it tooks like 5-6 hours to charge.... with 2.1 they solved it and it took the normal 2 hours. This is quite important: dont you have this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back