Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 17, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #3,571 of 6,262
I know they won't achieve anything near the quoted speed but isn't the 'bandwidth' of a DSD256 file (for example) almost 30 times less than that speed? I rarely listen to hi-res files but I have tried a couple of DSD256 files on the N3 without any problems and I'm pretty sure the card I'm using is an (almost full) Ultra. I'd always assumed that the faster cards were only really necessary for photographic applications I must admit. I probably have little to no fragmentation on the card in question though, as I bought and filled it up especially for the N3.
It's not audio bandwidth, but rather the data stream bandwidth. It's also not the speed of the card, but it's ability to provide an uninterrupted stream of data with little to no lag between packets. The N3 doesn't read the card to it's fullest speed, but the quality of the card determines it's latency between reads (think CAS to RAS type delays) and that can cause dropouts and buffering issues with an audio stream. I too have some DSD256 files that don't ever have an issue, but some DSD64 ones that stutter. The DSD64 files were added after a handful of other files were deleted. If I copy the same files after a fresh format without deleting or stopping, the stutter goes away. So fragmentation does affect the latency enough to cause dropouts.

The card i use now is a Lexar 633X 200gb , i have try another , Sandisk ultra 128gb but i have the same slight quiet pop ! have try with replay gain on then off , gapless also with the same result !
Just out of curiosity, are your files tagged completely for RG? Just enabling it doesn't do a thing if the files don't have the metadata.

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #3,572 of 6,262
It's not audio bandwidth, but rather the data stream bandwidth. It's also not the speed of the card, but it's ability to provide an uninterrupted stream of data with little to no lag between packets. The N3 doesn't read the card to it's fullest speed, but the quality of the card determines it's latency between reads (think CAS to RAS type delays) and that can cause dropouts and buffering issues with an audio stream. I too have some DSD256 files that don't ever have an issue, but some DSD64 ones that stutter. The DSD64 files were added after a handful of other files were deleted. If I copy the same files after a fresh format without deleting or stopping, the stutter goes away. So fragmentation does affect the latency enough to cause dropouts.

Just out of curiosity, are your files tagged completely for RG? Just enabling it doesn't do a thing if the files don't have the metadata.
No , it is not tagged for RG . These pop thing happens with the N3 , i have use the same card Lexar 200gb with the Fiio X7 , X1 II , Ibasso DX50 , Hidizs AP60 without having any pop noise !

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #3,573 of 6,262
No , it is not tagged for RG . These pop thing happens with the N3 , i have use the same card Lexar 200gb with the Fiio X7 , X1 II , Ibasso DX50 , Hidizs AP60 without having any pop noise !
My cards are all Sandisk Ultra 200 gig. The only pop I get is when the last track finishes when listening to an album in library mode (folder browsing). My X1II does the same thing when the last track finishes. I hear nothing between tracks. I have gapless turned on and no replay gain is used. Cayin is in Hong Kong according to their Facebook page at a show which is probably why there are no input from them regarding this. It's really a non-issue for me since it's not interfering with playback.

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #3,574 of 6,262
My cards are all Sandisk Ultra 200 gig. The only pop I get is when the last track finishes when listening to an album in library mode (folder browsing). My X1II does the same thing when the last track finishes. I hear nothing between tracks. I have gapless turned on and no replay gain is used. Cayin is in Hong Kong according to their Facebook page at a show which is probably why there are no input from them regarding this. It's really a non-issue for me since it's not interfering with playback.
For you it is a non-issue but for me yes ! It is interfering with playback !

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #3,575 of 6,262
Yes, I was talking about the data stream, at least I think I was - about 2.75 MB/s with DSD256 unless I've made a hash of the maths, which is quite possible? Anyway, I'll take your word for it; I don't think I'll be expanding my DSD collection in the future so it's academic for me.

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #3,576 of 6,262
I decided to buy N3 because it has everything I want in a DAP.

- Play all digital music files especially DSD because I've never tried it before and I want to
- APT-x BT capability
- more than 8 hrs of playback time
- Responsive UI
- Digital out to connect to my main audio system
- and the last one, I want to pay as less as possible

N3 answers all of them that why I end up with N3. And Hiby is a big PLUS to my need, make it much easier to use N3 as a source in my main system.

Please don't drop any of them.

What I want see improve?

1. BT connection to BT receiver that need PIN,
I mention this before my BT receiver of my other system need PIN and it just a default PIN (0000 or 1234).
N3 cannot connect to them but a small-and-cheap BT transmitter from aliexpress can so I believe there is a way to do that.
So can you make the BT connection procedure to try this 2 PIN before give up.

2. I use Cayin's USB to coax cable and when connect to my DAC in main system. I have to crank all the volume up to get the listening volume level.
When I switch back to Headphone, I have to remember to bring the volume down or I may damage my headphone or my ears.
Can you make the line-out switch to cover digital out volume?

3. Make the Delete function work on exFAT card.

That's all.
Thank you.

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestion.
1.,We have talked to our Engineer before, find out that the situation have been considered but we can't support BT with a PIN or password requirements because Cayin N3 doesn't come with a keypad/keyoard, and the screen is too small to implement an on-screen keyboard to facilitate password authentication procedure. Sorry for unable to provide a better solution at this point. I'll raise the possibility to add a numeric input option on BT in the future,but this will be a low-priority item and I can't promise a follow up date immediately.

2.I have just done a test and found out that when N3 switched from line out to headphone mode,its volume would be down ad the same as before.

3.we have received feedback on file management problem with selected TF card in exFAT problem, this is not a definitely problem and will occurs occasionally, ....Please use FAT32 TF card if possible

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 18, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #3,578 of 6,262
@Andykong I've got a good idea to implement in the upcoming firmware. I noticed you probably can't have one setting for all kinds of music. "Short delay slow" digital filter is most universal as far as I tested on PSB M4U1 headphones, second place for being universal I'd give "Short delay sharp". Haven't played with EQ yet, but I think the point stands that by using universal settings, you sacrifice a bit of quality for some music. For example, what's good for electronica, is not good for rock. My idea is to make something like "genre settings" - different music settings (digital filter, EQ and so on) for different genres; let the user change the settings and associate albums or songs to it.

The most important thing is for player to remember these settings for albums or songs so that you don't need to specify it again. For example, you play a song A, you see it will benefit from custom settings for electronica, so you specify to use electronica settings for A. Then you play song B, you see it will benefit from custom settings for rock, so you specify to use rock settings for B. Then you can turn off the player, but the next time you turn the player on and play A - electronica settings are used, if you play B - rock settings are used.

My general idea of implementation:
1. User clicks on "genre settings" . I wanted to offer to put this icon in the main menu, but it may get too populated, so maybe some other place is better.
2. User sees a list of predefined genres.
3. User clicks on one of the genres and sees a list of two options - "Add folder or song" and "Change music settings". Note, you may omit (even better if you leave it, so the user will have an alternative) "Add folder or song" and implement an ability to add folder or song to the genre from other place. For example, when folder is highlighted and/or song is either highlighted or being played, the user presses some button and then he can choose the genre from the predefined list.

Thank you for your kind suggestion. I can investigate the possibility to implement genre in future firmware, but I have to explain in advance that this is not a priority item and will check out after we finish the bug fix, please pardon the delay.

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #3,579 of 6,262

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,583 of 6,262
Very ,very disapointed ! CayinSupport has been here without giving an answer to the pop noise issue , nothing , niet , nadar ! thanks a lot to you CayinSupport !
Patience...maybe they're investigating it before commenting. As I've noted, I don't get the pop at all and many others don't either, so it's possible that they can't reproduce it on their end.

It'd probably help if you could find a consistent, reproducible way to get the pop, narrow down the steps, and do some legwork to guide their path.

Try isolating a few track that consistently pop, format a card, drop them on it and be sure it still does. Then, give the specs of the situation: card type, format, file structure. Upload the tracks somewhere, maybe ZIP'd or rar'd, in the same file structure so that others can pull it and try them. Maybe include a few pics of your System and Audio settings on the N3 so that others can configure theirs to the same spec - it may be a combo of settings.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #3,584 of 6,262
Very ,very disapointed ! CayinSupport has been here without giving an answer to the pop noise issue , nothing , niet , nadar ! thanks a lot to you CayinSupport !
I just searched this thread and early on two users reported a popping noise between tracks and Cayin asked some follow up questions which were answered by the users, but nothing after that. Who knows, but I'm sure they'll get around to it soon enough.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #3,585 of 6,262
Patience...maybe they're investigating it before commenting. As I've noted, I don't get the pop at all and many others don't either, so it's possible that they can't reproduce it on their end.

It'd probably help if you could find a consistent, reproducible way to get the pop, narrow down the steps, and do some legwork to guide their path.
How can i reproduce or recording the pop noise and send to them ? Praticable impossible ! I'm not the one who have this problem , see 2 or 3 pages behind ! Thanks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back