Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Feb 26, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #166 of 6,262
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 26, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #167 of 6,262

Just a quick headup on the Engineering sample vs production unit:

(1) The capacitive sensor have been adjusted physically. The Engineering sample requires a more precise "click" at the center of the capacitive otherwise the mis-press rate is a bit high to our standard. We have changed the capacitive sensor to a slightly smaller one and eliminated the mis-press rate significantly.

(2) While the analogue circuit of the production unit remain electrically similar (if not identical) to the engineering sample, it is a clean implementation on a carefully layout PCB. The Engineering sample has around 20 hand-wired modification in order to achieve our final design. The sound signature of the engineering sample should be very similar to the production unit but the overall quality should be improved noticeably.

(3) Nik (and Twister) has installed the 0.9beta firmware to the engineering sample, this is the final pre-production beta firmware. We have compiled the production version v1.0 firmware already but it is developed for the final production version and cannot be installed to the Engineering sample by regular firmware upgrade process.

With these clarifications in mind, Nik and Twisters are free to share their impression on the N3 Engineering sample, we won't scrutinize their opinion towards audio performance of our product, we trust our reviewer and we are looking forward to their honest feedback. On the other hand, they have to report the software bugs and their recommendation/suggestion on UI and control/operation of N3 to Cayin exclusively. We shall provide a production unit of N3 to Nik and Twister when we ship our first batch of N3 to our US dealers. I don't have an exact date for that, but hopefully we can do that before Canjam SoCal.

Thanks for clarifying this point in particular, Andy. I am getting more mispresses than I expected. I'm glad this has been corrected in the final production units.

Oh yeah, the 0.9fw runs much more smoothly than the original beta fw that came on the engineering sample. Progress in definitely being made!

We have three distributor/dealer in US, but MusicTeck probably will be the first to have N3 in stock.

https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/cayin

Evolution of Sound is also our dealer too, but we have not received their N3 order yet.

MusicTeck is good. Andrew is a great guy!

I'm a little behind with updates, buried under unfinished reviews and beta testing, and LOTs of stuff that's going on at my work and at home
frown.gif

But just to chime in, I'm very glad to hear that 0.9fw improved user experience in comparison to the original beta, and happy that Cayin made improvements in the final production unit.  That was one of the reasons I only mentioned briefly about the sound quality (I'm still impressed, especially at this budget price point), but haven't talked much about the controls due to my unit being an engineering sample which has been handwired (if I'm not mistaken, this pre-production unit has white-wires).  Having physical control buttons on the sides of N3 is a big plus and a very good idea.  Regarding touch control buttons with a haptic feedback, makes no sense to comment yet since it will be improved in both fw and hw of the final production unit.

Regarding MusicTeck, indeed, it's not just a store but an experience of dealing with a distributor who is fully committed to support the product and to promote the brand, not just to make a sale.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #170 of 6,262
Since Cayin will have quite a lot of products coming out in 2017, I can't possibly taking care of all the explanation and support work on the forum, especially at time when I need to attend various shows and events. I have decided to bring in an assistant to help me out. I'll continue to stay online as much as possible, but she will take care of the product updates, responding to customer questions and after sales support. So when you guys saw someone responding under the name of CayinSupport, please be nice to her. :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 1, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #172 of 6,262
  Hello everyone,I'm Cayinsupport,like Andy said, I'll take care of the product updates, responding to customer questions and after sales support.So if you guys have any questions about N3, do not hesitate to ask me, I will reply ASAP

Welcome to the forum! Can't wait to try the N3 at Canjam.  
etysmile.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #174 of 6,262
N3 is for pre-order now. I saw some details.

Headphone output:
output power 130mW+130mW (32 ohm)
Frequency response 20-20kHz (+- 0.3 db)
THD+Noise 0.03% (@1kHz)
Dynamic Range: 108 dB
SNR: 108dB
output impedance: <1 ohm

Line out:
output level 1.0V
frequency response 20-20kHz (+- 0.3 db)
THD+Noise 0.03% (@1kHz)
Dynamic Range: 108 dB