Cayin iDAC-6 - Review tour (USA only for now), impressions, discussion
May 22, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #64 of 286
You mean the HA-1A mkII? I've actually got a demo unit here and it is indeed a stunning piece of gear. I just spend a small fortune on tubes to really let it stretch its legs.... more on that soon enough.

Have you ever tried the MKI model. I recently purchased one.

May 22, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #65 of 286
Have you ever tried the MKI model. I recently purchased one.

Yes, but it's been many years. I remember enjoying it, very "tubey" with all the ups and downs that entails. The new version seems like a significant improvement though I'm sure the original can be fun with the right tubes.

May 22, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #66 of 286

Yes, but it's been many years. I remember enjoying it, very "tubey" with all the ups and downs that entails. The new version seems like a significant improvement though I'm sure the original can be fun with the right tubes.

I am not experienced in any way with rolling tubes. If you have any suggestions for the MKI model, I would appreciate.

I am listening to my Grado RS2 now through the HA-1A and it has never sounded this full before. The bass never sounded so full before and all the detail is still there but not sibilant (at least not to my ears. I have the ohm setting at the back of the amp to the lowest setting of 6-32 ohms.

I will try with my HE6 tomorrow. I guess I should leave the setting at the back at the same setting?

I haven't tried it with my speakers yet. My speakers are DynAudio DM 2/7, which are 4 ohms. Will that be a problem with this amp?

Any tips or suggestions with this amp would be appreciated.

May 22, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #67 of 286
  I am not experienced in any way with rolling tubes. If you have any suggestions for the MKI model, I would appreciate.

I am listening to my Grado RS2 now through the HA-1A and it has never sounded this full before. The bass never sounded so full before and all the detail is still there but not sibilant (at least not to my ears. I have the ohm setting at the back of the amp to the lowest setting of 6-32 ohms.

I will try with my HE6 tomorrow. I guess I should leave the setting at the back at the same setting?

I haven't tried it with my speakers yet. My speakers are DynAudio DM 2/7, which are 4 ohms. Will that be a problem with this amp?

Any tips or suggestions with this amp would be appreciated.

Sorry, it's been so long that I don't remember any specifics on it. 

May 26, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #68 of 286
To keep everyone updated, the Cayin iDAC-6 and iHA-6 has started an unofficial tour in Portland and Seattle area already, for detail of this "bundled" tour, please check out the KENNERTON VALI - IMPRESSIONS, DISCUSSION, TOUR thread for details.

At the end of the Seattle section of the Kennerton Vali tour, the iDAC-6 and iHA-6 will not be included as a bundled for subsequent tour participants, I guess this is the best time to start an official iDAC-6+iHA-6 tour from there on. This is my initial thoughts:

(1) Since the tour has jumped started alongside the Kennerton Vali tour already, I probably shall adopt the rules and practice of the Vali tour for the offical iDAC-6/iHA-6 tour.
(2) Anyone at Seattle, or within driving distance from Seattle, and is willing to collect the combo in person will have priority in queuing. This will keep the logistic cost of the tour to minimum
(3) For reference, purpose, when I send the iDAC-6/iHA-6 from SoCal to Portland, I paid around US$25 on UPS Ground, so you can estimate the logistic cost roughly.
(4) In order to minimize logistic cost, the tour sequence will be geographical related instead of first come first serve, and we encourage participants to form "team" with fellow friends in local Headfi community, this will allow sharing of logistic cost, I guess if you have 2-3 persons in the same city joining the tour together, the logistic cost will not be significantly higher then that of a DAP tour.
(5) This tour will limited to US participants only. I can extend the tour to Canada if someone can propose a solution to cover the logistic and custom expenditures.
(6) The tour probably will take place from mid/late July to end of September. We would like to re-collect the combo during CanJam RMAF which is early October 2016.

Now these are my initial thought only, please do not jump on board to sign up immediately as I can't promise the tour will eventually takes place right now. I certainly wanted to see this happen, but I need to solicit opinion and evaluate the feasibility for the tour as the logistic cost is indeed on the high side when compare to a DAP/headphone tour. So the most important question is: will you sign up for a DAC/Headphone amp tour when you need to pay $25-$30 to cove the logistic cost?

For convenient sake, I put this post under the iHA-6 thread but copy the content to the DAC-6 thread as well, but I shall encourage all comment and suggestions related to the tour grouped under the iHA-6 thread.

All comments are welcome. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 3, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #69 of 286
Are the feet removable?  There are not visible screws, but still wondering if this is possible.  I stack the DAC on top of the amp because of the heat and I bought 4 Tenderfoot isolation feet to add more height. I prefer to just use these and remove the original feet if at all possible.  

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #70 of 286
Are the feet removable?  There are not visible screws, but still wondering if this is possible.  I stack the DAC on top of the amp because of the heat and I bought 4 Tenderfoot isolation feet to add more height. I prefer to just use these and remove the original feet if at all possible.  

The feets are covers for the screws at the bottom, that's how we remove the cover for repair and maintenance.

if you work carefully, you should be able to remove glue and then access to the screws. Theoretically you can remove the feet, but then the screws will still in place and you cannot use Tenderfoot isolation feet right at those spots because of the screws.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 4, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #71 of 286
The feets are covers for the screws at the bottom, that's how we remove the cover for repair and maintenance.

if you work carefully, you should be able to remove glue and then access to the screws. Theoretically you can remove the feet, but then the screws will still in place and you cannot use Tenderfoot isolation feet right at those spots because of the screws.

Okay I can place around the feet and it's still higher.   Not too big a deal.  Thanks.  

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #72 of 286

Decided to give it a try. Removed the rubber piece of the feet and unscrewed the other parts. Pleased with the extra inch or so of height.

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #73 of 286
i wonder how this combo will compare with the Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir combo. They are at the same price range, right? Though the Schiit dac came out quite some time ago and does not have the advanced configuration as the Cayin, does anyone have the chance to compare them, as the NA tour has begun?

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #74 of 286
I wasn't blown away by the Gugnir/Mjolnir combo when I spent a little time with it. I felt it was fine but nothing amazing. But that was when they first came out and I know there have been updates and new options etc, so perhaps not a relevant data point at this time.

I did just recently compare the Cayin stack to a friend's PS Audio NuWave DSD paired with a Quad PA-One amp via balanced, and a Burson Conductor V2 via RCA. It was clear to both of us that the Cayin iDAC-6 was superior to the NuWave DSD. NuWave DSD wasn't bad (like the original non DSD model was, yuck...) but the Cayin seemed noticeably more organic and believable. I think they are priced the same or the PS Audio might be a little more, but there's really no comparison.

The iHA-6 is better than the Conductor V2 in many ways. Conductor does have its charm though, actually surprising for a Burson product (they are getting better slowly but surely), but my money would still be on the Cayin. I find it more resolving and it just seems to offer a more clear window into what the DAC is feeding it. I believe it has more power into a 32 ohm load too, not that it probably matter all that much. 

The Quad tube amp is a different animal. I liked it quite a bit, but also found it somewhat odd and hard to pin down. Not sure it can easily be compared to the Cayin amp. Which is fine, as it costs significantly more anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back