Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jan 24, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,656 of 3,742
just order a VALENTINUM cayin i5 case, got myself dark brown color 
biggrin.gif

owner is helpful with quick reply,
from the day of request, the case is custom made in under 4 days

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #2,657 of 3,742
We haven't get to that part yet, we have plans to resolve the the third party applications, but until I have tested it in person, I won't be able to share the options (or the final decision), so please stay tune for that.

At this point will the Cayin i5 OS allow you to download Spotify songs onto the device memory? Seriously considering getting this DAP. THANKS

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2,660 of 3,742

I don't understand. Aren't both the Opus#1 and the i5 in the $400-$500US range?

Opps so sorry! I was referring to the Cayin N5...bit of a mix up!

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #2,661 of 3,742
In my opinion - which counts for nothing - no, unless you go proprietary or another DAC method - the AK4490 is my favorite off-the-shelf DAC.

A few years back, the Sabre DAC was all the rage, and I was lusting all over it too not having heard one. Once I got it in my iBasso DX90 and started hearing Sabre implementations in a variety of products, I felt the Sabre house sound was sharp and treble offensive. Got rid of the DX90 and I now avoid the Sabre DACs like the plague preferring proprietary implementations like the MOJO or R2R ladders. Not all is bad with Sabre as I do like the X7 Sabre implementation and the Ifi iDAC sabre implementation so it can be done correctly. However, if you hear the Cayin iDAC-6 implementation of the 4490 and compare to the proper FiiO and IfI Sabre implementations, you will see why I say the AK4490 DAC is much superior in every way.

Even the AK380 4490 implementation is awesome at $3K, but is handicapped by its amp/dynamics. If the Cayin i5 sounds anything like the iDAC-6 implementation and has a reasonable amp, it should be stellar and at a great price. The only other question is Cayin's handling of the clocking in this DAP to maximize the 4490 sound stage and transparency. The Aune M2 does the clocking right and the 4490 implementation with Amp is right, however, the interface/design leaves a lot to be desired. Right now I am holding off on the Aune M2 purchase it check this one out hoping to have great UI and great SQ. If it sounds like I am lusting after the AK4490 now like I was the Sabre a few years back, I am - but now I have a better understanding of the technology and my signature preferences and have a better ear for SQ.

BTW, the Pioneer that everyone was comparing a few pages back has a very low end Sabre SQ in comparison to the Aune M2 4490 implementation which is head and tails above. The Pioneer UI is great, but the build quality and amp is just ok. The wobbly bar on the top begs for removal to be usable/pocketable and leaves screw holes in the top.

If you care about SQ, the Paw Gold is at the very top with the Sony WM1Z/A joining it this year in November and the Aune just below these two at a fraction of the price. I am hoping the Cayin i5 joins the Aune at the top with a superior UI and a great price. I personally would have trouble leaving the house with a $1K plus dap and want the i5 or the Aune for the road.

I had the exact same experience with the Sabre DAC setup in the HA-2 SE unit while stacked with an iPhone SE. My ears and head still hurt! I think like you said Barra, it's about what sound signature agrees with you. I could listen to the Cayin C5 Amp stacked on the iPhone for hours with no fatigue.
I have returned the HA-2 SE and ordered the Cayin i5. I'll pair it with the C5 when needed with hungry phones, but I think the "Cayin House Sounds" agrees with me!
BTW, it's amazing the attention you have given this thread Andy, and I have learned a great deal from your posts. With guys like you at Cayin, they will go far.
Thank you.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #2,662 of 3,742
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Cayin I5 and would like some information regarding the player I received. When I touch the screen it discolors and creates a motions that looks like waves in water. It emanated from point in the bottom third of the screen and on the left and right sides of the screen. It happens no matter how hard I touch the screen..

It looks like something is touching the screen on the other side.

Is this normal? I remember older LCD's and monitors used to do this, but haven't seen this effect in quit a long time. Just wanted to double check before I send it back.

Thanks for your help.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #2,663 of 3,742
Yeah, that's completely normal, do not worry.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #2,664 of 3,742
Today (after few months usage) I have realized that the hardware buttons are marked wrongly.
Based on the direction for the play arrow the right double arrow button should skip forward. But it skips back while the button with double arrows showing backwards are skipping forward.

So either they are marked wronlgy or installed wrongly.Maybe this can be fixed by FW update.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #2,665 of 3,742
  Today (after few months usage) I have realized that the hardware buttons are marked wrongly.
Based on the direction for the play arrow the right double arrow button should skip forward. But it skips back while the button with double arrows showing backwards are skipping forward.

So either they are marked wronlgy or installed wrongly.Maybe this can be fixed by FW update.

I had them reverse on online streaming but I seem to recall normal operation from the storage. My memory might not be correct, so saltgrains and all that.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #2,666 of 3,742

In my opinion - which counts for nothing - no, unless you go proprietary or another DAC method - the AK4490 is my favorite off-the-shelf DAC.

A few years back, the Sabre DAC was all the rage, and I was lusting all over it too not having heard one. Once I got it in my iBasso DX90 and started hearing Sabre implementations in a variety of products, I felt the Sabre house sound was sharp and treble offensive. Got rid of the DX90 and I now avoid the Sabre DACs like the plague preferring proprietary implementations like the MOJO or R2R ladders. Not all is bad with Sabre as I do like the X7 Sabre implementation and the Ifi iDAC sabre implementation so it can be done correctly. However, if you hear the Cayin iDAC-6 implementation of the 4490 and compare to the proper FiiO and IfI Sabre implementations, you will see why I say the AK4490 DAC is much superior in every way.

Even the AK380 4490 implementation is awesome at $3K, but is handicapped by its amp/dynamics. If the Cayin i5 sounds anything like the iDAC-6 implementation and has a reasonable amp, it should be stellar and at a great price. The only other question is Cayin's handling of the clocking in this DAP to maximize the 4490 sound stage and transparency. The Aune M2 does the clocking right and the 4490 implementation with Amp is right, however, the interface/design leaves a lot to be desired. Right now I am holding off on the Aune M2 purchase it check this one out hoping to have great UI and great SQ. If it sounds like I am lusting after the AK4490 now like I was the Sabre a few years back, I am - but now I have a better understanding of the technology and my signature preferences and have a better ear for SQ.

BTW, the Pioneer that everyone was comparing a few pages back has a very low end Sabre SQ in comparison to the Aune M2 4490 implementation which is head and tails above. The Pioneer UI is great, but the build quality and amp is just ok. The wobbly bar on the top begs for removal to be usable/pocketable and leaves screw holes in the top.

If you care about SQ, the Paw Gold is at the very top with the Sony WM1Z/A joining it this year in November and the Aune just below these two at a fraction of the price. I am hoping the Cayin i5 joins the Aune at the top with a superior UI and a great price. I personally would have trouble leaving the house with a $1K plus dap and want the i5 or the Aune for the road.

I had the exact same experience with the Sabre DAC setup in the HA-2 SE unit while stacked with an iPhone SE. My ears and head still hurt! I think like you said Barra, it's about what sound signature agrees with you. I could listen to the Cayin C5 Amp stacked on the iPhone for hours with no fatigue.
I have returned the HA-2 SE and ordered the Cayin i5. I'll pair it with the C5 when needed with hungry phones, but I think the "Cayin House Sounds" agrees with me!
BTW, it's amazing the attention you have given this thread Andy, and I have learned a great deal from your posts. With guys like you at Cayin, they will go far.
Thank you.

It's all about implementation and sound signature preference. I compared the Aune M1S to the Cayin i5 in my review and preferred the sound quality of the M1S but everything else about the i5. The M1S has a Sabre ES9018K2M chip in it. I've also quite liked the sound of LH Labs gear, all which have Sabre chips. There hasn't been a AK4490 implementation I've hated, though. I think it is one of the best chips currently available.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,667 of 3,742

i don't think it's marked wrongly, if you put the dap upright the arrow pointing down will skip forward down the list, the arrow pointing up skips back, up the music list 

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #2,668 of 3,742
Doesn't sound logical to me. If I want to skip a title forward the arrows for forward skipping should point in the same direction as the arrow on the play button.

Well, it's not such a big deal as I realized this only after some months of usage which shows how often I use the physical buttons...

More interesting would be how I get access to music in my dropbox. It's registered and linked (Dropbox webversion shows HiBy app as linked) and still I always get a message "loading failed".

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #2,669 of 3,742
Ok, I have finally started my listening experience with the i5. I am not an audio expert as most of the users here on Head-Fi, but have been extremely impressed by the warm sound I got connecting the line-out of i5 to my living-room stereo system, while I couldn't repeat the same experience so far with the headphones I tried (Soundmagic PL-30, Xiaomi Hybrid). So I think it's the time to buy a pair of adequate headphones, has anybody experienced how does i5 pairs with Shure SRH940? 

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #2,670 of 3,742
  Ok, I have finally started my listening experience with the i5. I am not an audio expert as most of the users here on Head-Fi, but have been extremely impressed by the warm sound I got connecting the line-out of i5 to my living-room stereo system, while I couldn't repeat the same experience so far with the headphones I tried (Soundmagic PL-30, Xiaomi Hybrid). So I think it's the time to buy a pair of adequate headphones, has anybody experienced how does i5 pairs with Shure SRH940? 

Are you married to a closed-back design? I haven't heard the SRH940, but I've really been enjoying the HiFiMan HE400i straight out of the i5, and you can get it for about the same price as the SRH940 on Amazon right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back