Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jan 28, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #2,686 of 3,742
Nope but I use the Mometum 2.0 overear bluetooth but I have not tried it yet.

You're as bad as me, just enjoying the i5 for its great sound and forgetting about all those extraneous features. :D

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #2,687 of 3,742
You're as bad as me, just enjoying the i5 for its great sound and forgetting about all those extraneous features.
biggrin.gif

Honestly..I forgot all about the bluetooth. I use the M2 with my cell when exercising. And the i5 with high gain and the HD650 and low gain with the U12 & Meze 99 Classics. I never wire my M2. lol

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,689 of 3,742
Hey guys, I bought my Cayin i5 a month ago and so far I have been really enjoying this DAP. I normally use it for 2hrs a day. It´s a musical sounding product that retains lots of details and resolution across the spectrum, and it´s packed with a wide range of features (Wifi, streaming services, Bluetooth, USB DAC, OTG) which the i5 performs correctly most of the cases. Yes, some of the features have minor bugs or issues that will certainly be solved in future software updates but so far is a great product.

Yesterday I experienced the first “abnormal behavior” with the i5 since I bought it. An issue I thought it was worth mentioning here and ask if any of you have experienced the same. It goes beyond the typical bug issues in user interface. A day ago I charged my i5 to full charge using the stock cable that came in the box and my iPhone 5S power adapter which output is 5V at 1A. It usually takes from 3 to 4 hours to fully charge the Cayin i5 battery. Later on I decided to hear one of my favorite albums (A masterpiece IMHO), Mozart Violin Concertos (MQA Remix 2016) which I have on DSD128 and paired my i5 with my AAW A3H Pro in order to enjoy such album. The battery went down from 100% to 75% once I finished using my i5 and then I turned it off and I went to sleep. Approximately 18 hours later I tried to turn on my i5 to enjoy music as usual but I noticed it didn´t turn on. I tried 3 times to turn it on (Pressing the power on/off button for 3 seconds) but nothing happened. Then I tried to charge the i5 with the stock USB cable and the power adapter for about 8 minutes but nothing happened (the charging screen didn´t show up when the i5 was plugged to the electrical source), and after that I tried again to turn on the i5 unsuccessfully. Finally after my failed attempts to turn on my Cayin i5 I decided to enter recovery mode (pressing down power on/off button and the key button at the same time for 5 seconds) and finally! The i5 turned on. Once it turned on I checked that everything was working as normal but I noticed that the battery was at 36% instead of the 75% I left it the night before.

Has this issue been notified here on this thread before? Has anyone experienced this same behavior? If so please reference me to the page were this issue was discussed.

I don´t believe I left my Cayin i5 accidentally turned on and playing music because if so, the battery would have drained completely and second, If I left my i5 turned on but without playing music the battery would not have drained a 39% in the 18 hours I didn´t use it. Finally, neither of the aforementioned cases that could justify the battery drain could not explain why the i5 was unresponsive when I tried to turn it on.

As a side note, I normally play music directly from the SD card or the internal memory on the i5 with the Wifi turned off, Bluetooth turned off and in low db.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #2,692 of 3,742
  Hey guys, I bought my Cayin i5 a month ago and so far I have been really enjoying this DAP. I normally use it for 2hrs a day. It´s a musical sounding product that retains lots of details and resolution across the spectrum, and it´s packed with a wide range of features (Wifi, streaming services, Bluetooth, USB DAC, OTG) which the i5 performs correctly most of the cases. Yes, some of the features have minor bugs or issues that will certainly be solved in future software updates but so far is a great product.

Yesterday I experienced the first “abnormal behavior” with the i5 since I bought it. An issue I thought it was worth mentioning here and ask if any of you have experienced the same. It goes beyond the typical bug issues in user interface. A day ago I charged my i5 to full charge using the stock cable that came in the box and my iPhone 5S power adapter which output is 5V at 1A. It usually takes from 3 to 4 hours to fully charge the Cayin i5 battery. Later on I decided to hear one of my favorite albums (A masterpiece IMHO), Mozart Violin Concertos (MQA Remix 2016) which I have on DSD128 and paired my i5 with my AAW A3H Pro in order to enjoy such album. The battery went down from 100% to 75% once I finished using my i5 and then I turned it off and I went to sleep. Approximately 18 hours later I tried to turn on my i5 to enjoy music as usual but I noticed it didn´t turn on. I tried 3 times to turn it on (Pressing the power on/off button for 3 seconds) but nothing happened. Then I tried to charge the i5 with the stock USB cable and the power adapter for about 8 minutes but nothing happened (the charging screen didn´t show up when the i5 was plugged to the electrical source), and after that I tried again to turn on the i5 unsuccessfully. Finally after my failed attempts to turn on my Cayin i5 I decided to enter recovery mode (pressing down power on/off button and the key button at the same time for 5 seconds) and finally! The i5 turned on. Once it turned on I checked that everything was working as normal but I noticed that the battery was at 36% instead of the 75% I left it the night before.

Has this issue been notified here on this thread before? Has anyone experienced this same behavior? If so please reference me to the page were this issue was discussed.

I don´t believe I left my Cayin i5 accidentally turned on and playing music because if so, the battery would have drained completely and second, If I left my i5 turned on but without playing music the battery would not have drained a 39% in the 18 hours I didn´t use it. Finally, neither of the aforementioned cases that could justify the battery drain could not explain why the i5 was unresponsive when I tried to turn it on.

As a side note, I normally play music directly from the SD card or the internal memory on the i5 with the Wifi turned off, Bluetooth turned off and in low db.

Dang! I would have suffered a heart attack if I had experienced that... Now on a more serious note I haven't experienced anything like that.. :S Are you completely sure you turned the device off when you went to sleep? I've forgotten to turn it off several times after listening to something at night.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #2,693 of 3,742

I experienced it twice if I remembered correctly but was almost 1-2 months ago.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #2,694 of 3,742
So far my listening experience with i5, apart from the fact I still haven't got decent headphones to pair with, is very good, and I havent't experienced any issues with wifi streaming, both with Spotify at highest music quality, and with streaming over my lan.

I have two minor noob questions:
1) do the play/pause and skip track on screen buttons when the screen is locked work for you?
2) what is the gain settings for?

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #2,695 of 3,742
So far my listening experience with i5, apart from the fact I still haven't got decent headphones to pair with, is very good, and I havent't experienced any issues with wifi streaming, both with Spotify at highest music quality, and with streaming over my lan.

1) do the play/pause and skip track on screen buttons when the screen is locked work for you?

1) the on-screen LCD shouldn't work in lock mode, but the hardware button should.
2) gain is useful to drive power hungry cans to enjoyable volume while having enough wiggle room to compensate the volume in the mastering from the source (headphone with high nominal impedance measured in ohm(Ω) ). shouldn't be necessary on IEMs and portable headphone.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2,698 of 3,742

1. Yes, the play/pause and skip track on screen buttons work perfectly on my i5 even on the lock screen, but as a personal preference I use the physical buttons more often.
2. Gain settings (aka low db and high db on the i5 software) are usefull to drive a wide variety of IEMs/Headphones with differences in their nominal impedance measured in Ohms (Ω). The Cayin i5 has a recommended headphone impedance range between 8-300Ω which technically means any IEM/Headphone between that range can be driven with the i5 without any constraint thanks to this gain settings and it will sound the way it is intended. "Technically speaking" of course.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #2,699 of 3,742
  Dang! I would have suffered a heart attack if I had experienced that... Now on a more serious note I haven't experienced anything like that.. :S Are you completely sure you turned the device off when you went to sleep? I've forgotten to turn it off several times after listening to something at night.

I almost suffer a heart attack!! lol. I have been thinking about it for a while and actually I don't know if I turned it off when I went to sleep
ph34r.gif
I might have left it playing music during the night, but I still don't know how or why the device became unresponsive even when I plugged it to the power source 18 hours later I went to sleep. The aforementioned scenario makes me ask the following question:

Which would be the normal behavior of the Cayin i5 if it is left playing music for 4 hours straight, and after that it stays on for an indefinite period of time?

I experienced it twice if I remembered correctly but was almost 1-2 months ago.

I'm tempted to replicate this scenario to see if I can replicate this "abnormal behavior". @kel77 would you elaborate your experience? Did your i5 also became "unresponsive"?

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #2,700 of 3,742
  I almost suffer a heart attack!! lol. I have been thinking about it for a while and actually I don't know if I turned it off when I went to sleep
ph34r.gif
I might have left it playing music during the night, but I still don't know how or why the device became unresponsive even when I plugged it to the power source 18 hours later I went to sleep. The aforementioned scenario makes me ask the following question:

Which would be the normal behavior of the Cayin i5 if it is left playing music for 4 hours straight, and after that it stays on for an indefinite period of time?

I'm tempted to replicate this scenario to see if I can replicate this "abnormal behavior". @kel77 would you elaborate your experience? Did your i5 also became "unresponsive"?

I was listening as per normal during my daily commute to work and I switched the player off when I reached the office.
9 hours later after I was off work, I tried to turn on the player again and there was no response at all. The re-enabling sequence was similar to yours with the recovery mode and the power plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back