Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jan 23, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #2,641 of 3,742
Is it possible to flash 2.0 international firmware above the Chinese one I have on my i5?

Yes pm andykong about it. I got a Chinese firmware and updated to the international English version.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #2,642 of 3,742
Hi all

Just some very quick impressions after a couple of days with the unit during some family time away. I'll do an in-depth review at the end of the NZ leg of the tour.

Overall - so far
I really like it. It has a certain simplicity, but in that is the beauty of the i5 so far. Cayin haven't tried to do too much - but what they have done has been done well. This is a pretty serious contender at this price point. I'm looking forward to really putting it through its paces in about a month's time.

Paul

Thanks for your quick impression Brooko, really looking forward to your final review, specially knowing you are also reviewing the Fiio X5 III right now, it´s imposible not to ask you for a direct comparison between these two. 
biggrin.gif
So far I´m loving my i5.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #2,644 of 3,742
Yes pm andykong about it. I got a Chinese firmware and updated to the international English version.

Thanks a lot, I got it. 
And sorry for perhaps another trivial question, but is the screen protector with all the writings (see picture below) supposed to be removed upon usage, or is it supposed to stay?

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #2,646 of 3,742
  Thanks a lot, I got it. 
And sorry for perhaps another trivial question, but is the screen protector with all the writings (see picture below) supposed to be removed upon usage, or is it supposed to stay?

The default screen protector is supposed to be removed. Inside the box there are 2 screen protectos you can use to protect the screen, they are not tempered glass, but they´ll definitely make your i5 screen more scratch resistant.

Edit: Screen protector image added.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2,648 of 3,742
  Hi all, I am also thinking of upgrading my Fiio X3 (1st gen) to a better DAP. I have tried the Opus #1, and while it is better than my Fiio, I can't subject myself to pay near 4x more than what I paid for my Fiio. So I am looking at something around $100-$200, and thus considering the Cayin. I also saw rather good reviews for the Shanling M3 as well. How would you compare between the Cayin i5 and the Shanling?

I don't understand. Aren't both the Opus#1 and the i5 in the $400-$500US range?

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #2,649 of 3,742
If I have time this week I will attempt to post my review of the i5. I will tell you for the most part it is favorable. The power is awesome and drives my HD650 quite well.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #2,651 of 3,742
That would be great! I think you mentioned you have an Astell & Kern device, please, be sure to compare them!!

He had the same one I do, but lost it in a fit of madness. :D

The i5 compares very, very well to the AK120II. You can read more in my review. It was one of the first few published.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #2,652 of 3,742
Just ordered the new case from Penon Audio out of curiosity. If it really holds it will be ok.

Still not sure....The Valentinum case has enough space to fit the MicroSD to SD Adapter which the new (and old) Cayin case doesn't have.

Will see how. Hope that red stitching is not too ugly in real. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #2,653 of 3,742
  That would be great! I think you mentioned you have an Astell & Kern device, please, be sure to compare them!!

The AK100ii/AK120ii were the first dap's from the moment I heard them, coming from a couple of Fiio's and a Pono, I instantly heard a difference in sound quality. The Pono was really good in balanced mode. I was thinking of retiring from this hobby so after I sold the AK I had an "oh crap" moment because obviously I am still here, not retired, and I needed to find a new player. The Cayin has really been nice. 

My comparison's would be from memory and I wouldn't want to influence someone purchasing the unit based solely on my memory for a comparison. Two things I can say in comparison are the AK is a bit more neutral than the i5 and less capable of driving difficult to drive headphones without high, high volumes.

The i5 has a winner on it's hands, it is just lacking a couple of features compared to other similarly priced or soon to be released similarly priced dap's. Also, the version of Android chosen is old and the wifi is a touch weak, but I dont use it. I have found streaming to not be executed very well. I cannot get Amazon Music app to stream at all, I think it is based on the version of the app on the app store relative to the version of Android. Some of the issues are issue because of their choice of Android version on the device. Not the hardware itself, just my opinion.

The volume knob is great. USB-C may be a problem for some, however the last three cellphones I have had were all USB-C so I am better equipped than most. One storage slot may be an issue for some, I use a 256gb card and I am good. 

The device pairs very well with the popular Meze 99 Classics. Which is what I am currently listening to as I type this. The market is becoming crowded at the price point of the i5. So many options for the consumer and that is great. 

The Cayin i5 a dap you could listen to for long listening sessions without fatigue it is very smooth...warm on first listen and warm and detailed once you spend some time with it. 

Wow what a long post...forgive me when I copy and paste parts of it for my review. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #2,654 of 3,742
The AK100ii/AK120ii were the first dap's from the moment I heard them, coming from a couple of Fiio's and a Pono, I instantly heard a difference in sound quality. The Pono was really good in balanced mode. I was thinking of retiring from this hobby so after I sold the AK I had an "oh crap" moment because obviously I am still here, not retired, and I needed to find a new player. The Cayin has really been nice. 

My comparison's would be from memory and I wouldn't want to influence someone purchasing the unit based solely on my memory for a comparison. Two things I can say in comparison are the AK is a bit more neutral than the i5 and less capable of driving difficult to drive headphones without high, high volumes.

The i5 has a winner on it's hands, it is just lacking a couple of features compared to other similarly priced or soon to be released similarly priced dap's. Also, the version of Android chosen is old and the wifi is a touch weak, but I dont use it. I have found streaming to not be executed very well. I cannot get Amazon Music app to stream at all, I think it is based on the version of the app on the app store relative to the version of Android. Some of the issues are issue because of their choice of Android version on the device. Not the hardware itself, just my opinion.

The volume knob is great. USB-C may be a problem for some, however the last three cellphones I have had were all USB-C so I am better equipped than most. One storage slot may be an issue for some, I use a 256gb card and I am good. 

The device pairs very well with the popular Meze 99 Classics. Which is what I am currently listening to as I type this. The market is becoming crowded at the price point of the i5. So many options for the consumer and that is great. 

The Cayin i5 a dap you could listen to for long listening sessions without fatigue it is very smooth...warm on first listen and warm and detailed once you spend some time with it. 

Wow what a long post...forgive me when I copy and paste parts of it for my review. :D

Thanks a lot!!

The review is going to be awesome!

I feel that I'm pretty sensitive to fatiguing gear, so something that can be used for long sessions is going to be great, I listen for almost 6hs at work sometimes less, but it being non fatiguing is great!

P/S: I bought a pair of SE215 from you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back